Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Original radio vs. new CD player for a 1974 914 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
swm914
Hi all, The new guy is back with another question regarding originality on a 1974. I had some nice replies yesterday on my 1st topic/question on shifter knobs. My 914 came w/o a radio. I have the original window sticker and it never had one. The lady that had it for 30 years just liked to drive it wo/ the tunes
I want to keep it original but am torn between finding an orginal radio or putting in a tastefully matching CD player. I know that is a personal thing but If I show this car will a modern unit detract in judging? If I go original, does anyone know what model(s) where installed in 1974? Some guy on ebay is selling an OEM Radio Sapphire XXV that he says is good for my year. Is that true?

Also, I have alot to learn about the guts of the 914. There is no existing wiring etc. so whether I go old or new I'm not sure what the best way is to tap into power.

Any opinions, advice apprciated. Thanks
Steve
Joe Bob
No such thing as an oem radio....they came from the factory w/o one....they were sold with whatever the dealer put in them. You can get "period" correct radios like the Sapphire, but they sound like crap. Same as A/C....except they were one of three A/C units. The install was usually a hack job.

As to powering a radio....best to put them on the non switched side of the ignition. Use the recommended fuse location that your owner's manual says to.
Dave_Darling
Some sources cite specific Blaupunkt and Becker radios as being factory options. Others say that all radios were dealer- or importer- installed.

One option might be to hide a modern radio/CD player in the glove box. The disadvantages are that it's hard for the driver to reach, and it takes away most of your glovebox storage space.

A less hidden option is to mount it under the dash. Or, if you have a center console, you might be able to make it so the face swings out to give you access to the hidden radio.

Some people think the engine is the only audio you need in a 914. I far prefer to have tunes. Then again, my car was so hacked up by the time I got it that originality was never going to be a concern.

--DD
anthony
The radio is mounted on a plate in the dash so it would be pretty easy to save the original plate (not cut a hole in it) and save it for contests.

It would be easy enough to make a new plate out of sheet metal and glue factory looking vinyl to it. Often people sell this plate with the hole already cut and vinyl attached.

Personally I enjoy the 914 with the radio off 98% of the time. I can barely hear it if the top is off. If I didn't already have a radio installed I'd probably not ever install one.

The other thing to consider is whether you will drill a hole in the fender for an antenna. I wouldn't do it but I'm not sure how well those hidden antennas work.

Allan
I say put in what you like....

I am gonna put in a heavy duty sub-woofer to off-set the noise in the cabin from the carbs.

I'll never actually listen to it because I need to hear my motor to make sure it's not eating valves or cams...
STL914
Another option is for you to mount a Secret Radio system in your car, out of sight, and keep the dash as it came from the factory. Follow this link for more info:

http://www.online-racer.com/secretaudio.htm

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(swm914 @ Feb 4 2007, 03:30 PM) *

I want to keep it original but am torn between finding an orginal radio or putting in a tastefully matching CD player. I know that is a personal thing but If I show this car will a modern unit detract in judging? If I go original, does anyone know what model(s) where installed in 1974? Some guy on ebay is selling an OEM Radio Sapphire XXV that he says is good for my year. Is that true?

Also, I have alot to learn about the guts of the 914. There is no existing wiring etc. so whether I go old or new I'm not sure what the best way is to tap into power.

Any opinions, advice apprciated. Thanks
Steve

Hey Steve, happy to see another local on the board. Sign up for the member map if you have not. There are a few of us S. Central PA guys around here.

Another option for music, without needing to cut your dash, is to mount an amp somewhere else in the car, and just have a jack to plug in your iPod (or whatever you use for mp3s). There are guys here that sell speaker kits that don't require you to mangle your doors (morphenspectra - or whatever he goes by these days).

Also, I believe that Blaupunkt and Becker will rehab any of thier old radios. It might cost a little, but you would have the right radio, in an as new condition. Chances are that you could find one local to you in a pick and pull, or off ebay for pretty cheap.

Zach
Joe Bob
hijacked.gif

I just broke down and bought an IPOD NANO, NANO...anyways...I see it has an internal battery....is there a kit for 12v charging and interface with my auto stereo(s)?

I have more than a few cars.... aktion035.gif
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 4 2007, 07:11 PM) *

Another option is for you to mount a Secret Radio system in your car, out of sight, and keep the dash as it came from the factory. Follow this link for more info:

http://www.online-racer.com/secretaudio.htm

That’s a great option I would have tried it if I Haden got mine already.

I to had a period correct radio, very bad sound by today’s standards. Added a new head unit and made modes to the speaker grill to keep them looking stock. For show if all other things are perfect I think you can only loose what 2 points. So Is the rest of the car is perfect?? Maybe put the effort into rubber, trim and other details and you will show very well with any radio working in your car.
Just don’t cut the door panels.

iamchappy
The ease in which you could swap out decks and kick panel speakers I would get the nicest Alpine head unit and 6 1/2 speakers you can afford, with James kick panel speaker pods. Swap out decks and speakers for shows.
You will spend more time shining and buffing things compared to the time and effort spent on swapping out decks and speakers.
So.Cal.914
I agree. I have a 10 CD Kenwood changer up front and a Kenwood head

inside. It is a unobtrusive cassette/radio, know one seems to want to steal it

because it looks like a lowley cassette player. With an amp the music can

get over the top being off, the carbs, road noise and the exhaust. Nice on a

long drive. George sold me my plate with matching vinyl for the radio about

10 yrs. ago, he may still have them.
Michael N
I took a newer radio out of my car and installed this older one. No, it does not sound as good but does work well. I just love the old light that that matches the light coming from the instrument gauges. I think a modern LED screen would wreck the charm of driving the car on backroads at night.
orthobiz
Back in the 80's I did a stereo installation in my old black 914. Took out the glove box, mounted a Benzie box. The radio protruded from the glove box door when it was inserted, made it easier to reach across to use the buttons. Took the radio out and brought it with me otherwise. I would insert a piece of rubber between the door and the radio to prevent rattling and door movement when in use (NYC has bumpy roads including potholes as big as the 914. Nothing like floating the car across one after a big storm!).

Connecting is easy. In the fuse area are empty male spade attachments just waiting for hookups to anything. My NYC road warrior had an Ungo box alarm, beeper alarm, auto antenna, extra radio, power amp hooked up. You can buy the female attachments at Radio Shack and run the wiring pretty easily under the dash.

You can always reinstall the glove box later.

Paul
smg914
Most of the purists on this site know this but for the benifit of others;
The 914-6 could be ordered with a radio. Mine shows: Blaupunkt "Frankfurt" US-Band AM-FM" on the window sticker and the certificate of authenticity.
JamesBernard
http://www.swstereo.com/Products/Becker/cdr220.shtml

i found this recently and have been considering getting the matching green with my car(if possible)
because it doesnt look like a NEW radio, im trying to get the whole car to stock and putting some new radio in it would ruin it, so i like this idea alot.
The only thing is
i was thinking about getting aftermarket speaker ports(and originals in case i sell it later) and i was going to put a small sub in the center console?
just so i could listen to some music, but have the power to crank it once in a while
=]
johannes
If you want to spend $$$$ this is the ultimate radio

New Becker Mexico radio with old design ... This one has Navigation, Bluetooth Telephone, iPod Ready ...

IPB Image

Becker was the hi end product you could have in the 916 ...

http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acatalog/b...exico_7948.html

Gustl
IIRC I already posted this one in another thread

some guys alway claim that there were no factory installed radios - at least for the USA

well then, Steve just told us, that not only his window sticker showed the radio (this could mean it's dealer installed), but also the COA says so - this definitely makes clear that it has to be factory installed, correct?

and here are two pages out of the optional equipment price list from MY'71 (print# W41-010-0371-0108)
they list all the factory options, including the possible radios - seperated for the 914-4 and the 914-6
and as you can see, there are also some radios marked as US

Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif ! Can anyone recommend the best way to get an old Frankfurt reconditioned or does anyone know how to contact the rebuilding dept at Blaupunkt? Thanks.

cool_shades.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Michael N @ Mar 4 2007, 08:34 AM) *

I took a newer radio out of my car and installed this older one. No, it does not sound as good but does work well. I just love the old light that that matches the light coming from the instrument gauges. I think a modern LED screen would wreck the charm of driving the car on backroads at night.

Mike, I couldn't agree more. That radio looks like the one in my '70/4 except the knobs are smooth rather than "grained" as your photo shows. The radios' "owner's manual" indicates that it is a MOTOROLA radio. MOTOROLA, there's an old, vintage name for audio equipment.
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Mar 24 2007, 09:06 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif ! Can anyone recommend the best way to get an old Frankfurt reconditioned or does anyone know how to contact the rebuilding dept at Blaupunkt?

check out this page: http://www.oldautoradio.com/

in the 70's section there are some Blaupunkt Frankfurt units

not cheap - but lifetime guarantee ...

wavey.gif Gustl
soloracer
I have an old 8-track and a pack of matches that you use to keep the tapes straight in the unit so they play without warbling. That should keep the livin' in the 70's folks happy. wink.gif
orthobiz
Gustl, that old radio site is UNREAL! Definitely one way to get a proper radio, just pay and be done with it. Cool.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.