Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Body damage on the daily driver
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Taylor
So I just tried to take the daily driver through a car wash a clipped the drivers side turn signal lense. I thought fuck, thats gona run me $50.00 for a new lense, but it got better. I got out and checked and of course it crunched the fender a little bit and of course it broke the paint. Also the car is an pearl white audi which has a special color mix. Anyway, I'm not really sure what I should do. It seems like it could run me a ton for this, or maybe I could just get away with pushing it out and painting it. Hard to say, I'm just frustrated and thought I would turn to my favorite group of car guys for advice.
bondo
For a daily driver, I'm a sort of "push it out, make sure it doesn't rust, and run it" kind of guy. I figure it's gonna get damaged, and new paint will not always look new. Eventyally the whole car is going to need paint, and if it's still around then, that's when I deal with making it perfect.

I bet you're going to get a wide spectrum of answers, but it just boils down to what you want to do.
r_towle
sue them, they have insurance.

If it was an antenna, or windshield wiper, they are not liable...
But a dent in the fender , lense broken, is just plain mis aligned machine, needs to be fixed, and YES they are liable.

Rich
Allan
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 4 2007, 03:40 PM) *

sue them, they have insurance.

If it was an antenna, or windshield wiper, they are not liable...
But a dent in the fender , lense broken, is just plain mis aligned machine, needs to be fixed, and YES they are liable.

Rich

agree.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(bondo @ Feb 4 2007, 03:35 PM) *

For a daily driver, I'm a sort of "push it out, make sure it doesn't rust, and run it" kind of guy.

agree.gif Depending on which model Audi and year.

I also have a pearl white Audi. You can match the color pretty well. Considering where you live, I would get the damage covered immediately with anything (but I am sure you already thought of that). You might be able to get a used turn signal lens.

Which model Audi and what year? If the car is a newer year and in otherwise pristine condition, you might want to get it fixed professionally. Was the damage the result of your negligence, or the car wash?

-Jeff
doper
Rust in CA ? huh ? you need to move north and east ... where salt is our daily diet .. kidding .. get it fixed .. on them ... pearl is no big deal even in the rust belt .. its just one more step .. and if they do it right using the value shade system and the variants you wont even notice ... unless of coarse they suck ... ask them where they will blend the work thats the biggest prob ... panel painting with be obvious, they will need to blend it ouy pretty far and use a "blender" as their last step ... otherwise it will be a problem .. but like I said if they dont do that, then they suck ... biggrin.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(doper @ Feb 4 2007, 05:44 PM) *
Rust in CA ? huh ?
He lives in Oregon. Newport is on the coast (salt in the air), Eugene is not too far inland. Oregon is where water was invented.

QUOTE(doper @ Feb 4 2007, 05:44 PM) *
... pearl is no big deal even in the rust belt ..
The Audi pearl is tough, i.e. expensive, to match. Might not be worth it if not covered by the car wash.

-Jeff
Mikey914
Eric, Ive got a guy in Hillsboro. Send me some pictures and I can get you a ballpark. He fixed mine very inexpensively and did great work. I didn't have pearl, but at least he canget you a ballpark.
Eric Taylor
Thanks, guys. This wasn't actually in the wash. It was my stupid mistake. I was trying to get close to this kiosk that you use electronically to pay for the ash and knicked. I guess I'm trying to decide between, inusrance or what to do. It's not horriable to look at , I just don't want rust, and I want a turn signal lense back in their. The car is a 93 audi 90 with 115k. It's worth like $3000 on a really good day. Mechanically it's in really good shape so i'm just gona drive it for a long time, cosmetically their are other dings and scrapes. I'll try and get a couple pics snapped for a better idea of what you guys think.
Eric
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.