Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Cool rare car on ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
you don't see these for sale very often drooley.gif Those seats look familiar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mint-1975-V...1QQcmdZViewItem
soloracer
I have to admit that is a unique car. I'm not a huge fan of the front but I wouldn't mind having it in my fleet. Can't say I would spend $20K for it though. Thanks for the link
914Sixer
VW kit type car made in Brazil. There were several differnent cars made on Beetle pans. Type 1 engines and transaxles.
burton73
The SP, the final name of the car, was built on the frame of a Variant, with the same Volkswagen air cooled engine, but upgraded to 1700 cc It developed 75 hp, 160 km/h (100 mph) and made 10 km with a litre.

When the car was presented, it quickly draw specialized media attention, with many improvements over the local "air cooled" VW line, an impressive interior, its many extra features and its superb finishing.

[edit] Decline

A car named SP1 was also built, but due to its very poor performance (only 65 hp with a 1600 cc engine), it soon was discontinued. This problem plagued the SP2 too. In fact, a malicious joke at that time was to relate the "SP2" name with "Sem PotĂȘncia" ("Without Power", in Portuguese).

So the car, despite its revolutionary look, failed to beat the Puma in performance. Although they used similar engines, the fiberglass Puma was much lighter. This was of course reflected in sales, and it was discontinued in February 1976.

With a total of 10,205 units made (670 of them exported to Europe), the car now sought after as a valuable collector's item. One of them, in white, is in the VW museum on public display. While prices during the production time frame were roughly the same as the Beetle, the price of a well preserved example today is considerably higher than contemporary VW models.

[edit] Wikipedia
richardmosselman
The SP2 was a fully sanctioned auto (not a kit-car) made by VW do Brazil, whereas the Puma was an autonomous company that used VW parts and fibreglass bodies. Some of the Pumas were exported as 'kit-cars' since they were not complete (powertrain/axles/wheels etc). Apparently all Pumas sold in Brazil were complete.
Cheers, Richard
SirAndy
QUOTE(richardmosselman @ Feb 4 2007, 04:52 PM) *

The SP2 was a fully sanctioned auto (not a kit-car)

agree.gif
autohausdolby
Yep, it's true - it's a factory car. Damn cool too IMHO smile.gif
rick 918-S
VW square back head lights. I thought I'd seen every car made at some point or another. Very interesting car.
Mike D.
Can't believe no one has mentioned the 914 seats yet!

I like it, but not 20K like it...
nomore9one4
Thats a killer looking car until you see those ugly ass headlight assemblies. I guess thats why there is not a picture of front.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.