Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Bilsteins last forever?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony
Here's the situation:

I installed a set of Bilstein HDs on my daily driver '94 Jetta about 120K miles ago. When it's cold in the morning I seem to get noticable road feel from the right front side of the car. I can even feel it in the accelerator pedal. After the car warms up the extra road feel goes away.

The shocks come with a lifetime warranty but I no longer have the receipt and I could see Bilstein denying the claim since the shock is not obviously blown.

Should I just go for new shocks since I've got 120K out of these? Or, should I just keep driving it. Should Bilsteins really last a lifetime like the advertising says.
rhodyguy
don't know about the bilsteins but i replaced the upper stut mounts on my 85'@ 235k rolleyes.gif . the car is at 239 now. still, I SWEAR, THE ORIG CLUTCH, TRANS AND ENGINE. replaced 1 head gasket. it uses a little over 1 qt of oil between changes (every 3000 or less, like church). this is not your mexican built jetta.

kevin
"when are you going to get a new car? when this one wears out!"
anthony
I guess the problems could be upper strut bearings. When those go bad though it's usually associated with a clunk sound.
DuckRyder
Even if they won't warranty it, they can overhaul them for a fraction of the cost of a new one.

It is possible you could get a duplicate recipt, some places keep records a long time.

But yes, bilsteins can last forever.....................
Joe Ricard
I hope Bilstiens last forever. I put them on my 928 ten years ago. They were off a used race car and were so tight my friend @ 210lbs could barely compress them. Still tight today nearly 50K miles. Rebuild smile.gif Cool When I need them I will consider that I would have never guessed. Threaded Gold body all I know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.