Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: While I am in there.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
So I hope to be dropping my stock motor soon and replacing it with a lightly warmed over 1911. Anyway, while I have my stock motor out, I was thinking about that pad that sits on the firewall. I have the stock piece in there, and it's hanging off in places.

What should I use to replace that? Is there any special prep required to replace it?

Thanks!
Joe Bob
Appbiz has a precut version...they sell on eBay and thru Pelican.
KaptKaos
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 4 2007, 08:22 PM) *

Appbiz has a precut version...they sell on eBay and thru Pelican.

Just looked at PP, didn't see them. What would they be under?
Aaron Cox
NO!

they look like SHIIIT. and absorb water...leading to rust.

bare firewalls are sexy.. and if you want to insulate... do it on the inside.. behind the backpad.
Joe Bob
http://stores.ebay.com/Appbiz

Some people like them A-ron.....I don't car for them either....but some people LIKE quiet crars.
Aaron Cox
i need a post disclaimer...

the following is just my strong yet humble opinion.....
banger
Appbiz has the regular pad for the 914, but they have their "Ultimate" pad for the 911. I emailed them, and they said the could make the "ultimate" pad for the 914 as well. All depends how quiet you want it.

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 4 2007, 09:11 PM) *

i need a post disclaimer...

the following is just my strong yet humble opinion.....

2-OH!
I used a product called "B-Quiet"...Same basic product as "Dynamat" only it doesn't say Dynamat, Dynamat, Dynamat, Dynamat, Dynamat, Dynamat all over it...It's just plain aluminum finish...Looks, feels, applies and works the same as Dynamat but cheaper...They have a web site...

Put it on the engine/firewall side and it makes a big difference...Yea I know it adds a few pounds, but with a seam of silicone at the top and overlapping it like shingles, it works great and does not allow water behind it to start rusting...

My car is a daily driver...

2-OH!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We make the ultimate back firewall pad in the engine compartment. It is diecut from the latest waterproof dynamat material and looks absolutely stock factory. The concours judges could not even tell! We contracted with dynamat to make it and it comes as well with an underliner diecut for the ultimate in sound proofing
andys
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 4 2007, 09:04 PM) *

NO!

they look like SHIIIT. and absorb water...leading to rust.

bare firewalls are sexy.. and if you want to insulate... do it on the inside.. behind the backpad.

I don't disagree that it perhaps could absorb or trap water, but my car had 149,000 miles on it when I stripped it down. Zero rust on the firewall after the insulation was removed.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.