Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breaking into a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
banger
Found a nice suprise after the superbowl today. Went to unlock the drivers door on my car, and nothing happened. No resistance to the key, and the door would not unlock. The locking tab was stuck in limbo halfway between lock and unlocked. The passenger door has a different key, which of course I never received from the previous owner. So I was stuck trying to figure out how to get into this car. Tried the coat hanger on the door locks, but without much success. In the end found a fairly easy way to get in. I was able to use a thin screwdriver between the door window and targa seal to pop the front latches on the targa. Then press down on the back of the targa, and pop the back catch with the screwdriver through the "hole" where the window, targa and pillar meets. In the end it turned out to be pretty easy to get into the car. Anybody found an easier way?
McMark
I don't lock mine. wink.gif
banger
I dont lock mine either, but was at a friends house, with a neighborhood of obnoxious kids, who occasionally I find hanging out or playing around the 914.
sj914
It's actually easy to use a wire coat hanger to jimmy the door lock. I've done it a couple times without too much trouble.
SirAndy
QUOTE(banger @ Feb 4 2007, 11:07 PM) *

Anybody found an easier way?

AAA

took the guy ~5 seconds ...
cool_shades.gif Andy
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I was able to slide the seal between the drivers window and the top back enought to fish a stiff wire with a hook bent on the end accross the car hooked the latch on the passenger door. Bingo open! Dave slap.gif
Spoke
I lock my car always when not at home. Places like Home Depot, Walmart, Circuit City, the mall, ...; these places don't lend themselves to leaving the car unlocked especially if coming from work with my laptop in the trunk.

So the one time I had to get into my locked car w/o keys, I used a 3ft x 4in sheet of 20ga steel (just picked it up to do some rust repairs). Pulled the driver side window out a bit with a screwdriver and fingers. Slid the steel into the interior and used it to tap the window crank. Just about 1 turn on the crank allowed me to reach in and unlock the car. Now I keep spare keys in my laptop bag as well as at work.

Spoke
Joe Bob
Sounds like you might want to look at the rekey thread that Mark B posted....time to get that other door fixed.

BTW...have you fixed the problem with the driver door? Ya know...the one that caused you to have to break in, in the first place?
PinetreePorsche
Last year I had to disassemble the door panel to replace the tiny spring in the latch mechanism. Silly me, one-track mind: I failed to notice the best place to attack the connecting rod with a hooked coat hanger or flat-stock pick-stick to get it to pop. Next time.
banger
I dont really know what happened with the drivers door. As soon as I got home I decided to try the lock, and it worked fine. When I couldnt get into the car, the locking lever was half way between in and out. I am going to pull the door apart today and see. I am sure something is a little bent or warn, and maybe the lock cylinder isnt pushing the lock all the way at times. Then its off to the local locksmith for a rekey on the passenger door.

QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 5 2007, 07:36 AM) *

Sounds like you might want to look at the rekey thread that Mark B posted....time to get that other door fixed.

BTW...have you fixed the problem with the driver door? Ya know...the one that caused you to have to break in, in the first place?

effutuo101
Do the rekey yourself, it will take you longer to drive to the locksmith and back then it will to do all of the work.
tracks914
I never drive it with my roof on so why lock it??
computers4kids
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Feb 5 2007, 06:54 PM) *

I never drive it with my roof on so why lock it??

agree.gif Haven't put my roof on in a year and half!
banger
I took the lock cylinders apart, and looked at the wafers, but didnt feel like robbing my other locks for the wafers. So ended up spending 10 bucks at the locksmith to have the locks rekeyed.

QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Feb 5 2007, 05:10 PM) *

Do the rekey yourself, it will take you longer to drive to the locksmith and back then it will to do all of the work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.