Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: stupid cold weather broke my BMW!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
It's very cold here. Last night and still today. First, I discovered my choice of oil wasn't the best. 10/40 as reccomended for winter weight by BMW will not work this week. Second I need a new battery specially with the 10/40 in the crank case. Third when boosting the car, don't keep cranking until you melt the solenoid. I let go of the key and the starter is turning without being engauged. I had to disconnect the cable to stop it. I tried to hook it back up but it's stuck. Now I have to move that frozen lump 10 ft to get it inside my heated garage and drop the starter... dry.gif I Effin Hate effin winter! mad.gif
BigDBass
Yeah, I had issues this morning too. My cherokee didn't want to start, and my battery didn't last long trying to crank. Moved the trickle charger from the 914 and let it charge for awhile and got it going though.
rick 918-S
There is no way you guys in the sun belt can possibly know how much this kind of thing sux. My heat bill will approch $1000.00 this month. Good thing I'm not working. Gives me time to change my starter, oh joy!
736conver
Thankfully I havent had any issues. Hyundai started right up at 2am this morning after work, I think it was -30 something with the wind chill. Battery is about 4 years old. I make sure I turn off all the electrical before I turn the key. These new cars like to have the lights on even before the car is started.
Aaron Cox
85 ish degrees here today.... ouch...sunburned....

oh... my i stubbed my toe while walking around in sandals and shorts....

yeah... sucks here
rick 918-S
On a lighter note. My rings arrived today! assimilate.gif
drewvw

its been pretty cold here lately, but at this point people will take it over 40 and raining....

type47
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 5 2007, 10:43 AM) *

My heat bill will approch $1000.00 this month.

yeah, but what's your air conditioning bill? biggrin.gif

(of course, i'm referring to peak cooling season)
1bad914
H3 started just fine, my sons wrangler did not fare as well yesterday, he flushed the rad last fall, he asked what to put back in, I told him a 50/50 mixture, I think he forgot the antifreeze side of that mixture, biggrin.gif he drove away yesterday and the car started spitting AF out of the overflow bottle, one of the lines was frozen causing the crap to spew out the bottle. I had to tow it home and stuff it in the heated garage.

The dumbest thing is I left San Antonio, TX and moved up here...I must be insane!!!!
mike373
HEHEHEHEHH....... Gotta love it ,eh Aaron?? Drove my teener to work today in flipflops and shorts.

Sometimes the sunshine tax we have to pay here is worth it.

Mike
So.Cal.914
Sorry you guys are suffering, it's miserable here too. rolleyes.gif
Joe Bob
Sounds like it's time to buy a engine block heater and/or an electric dipstick.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 5 2007, 12:43 PM) *

There is no way you guys in the sun belt can possibly know how much this kind of thing sux. My heat bill will approch $1000.00 this month. Good thing I'm not working. Gives me time to change my starter, oh joy!

Rick,

I have just the opposite. My heat bill is very low this month, but I will match your $1000.00 heating bill with my $900.00 electric bill for last August!

headbang.gif

Stay warm buddy. And we can kick some SoCal asses at the Atomic Ramble.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Feb 5 2007, 12:47 PM) *

85 ish degrees here today.... ouch...sunburned....

oh... my i stubbed my toe while walking around in sandals and shorts....

yeah... sucks here

QUOTE(mike373 @ Feb 5 2007, 01:13 PM) *

HEHEHEHEHH....... Gotta love it ,eh Aaron?? Drove my teener to work today in flipflops and shorts.

Sometimes the sunshine tax we have to pay here is worth it.

Mike

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 5 2007, 02:38 PM) *

Sorry you guys are suffering, it's miserable here too. rolleyes.gif

FOESADMF!!!

mad.gif finger.gif
Aaron Cox
them texans still havent figgerd out how to speel or rite or nutin huh
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2007, 12:58 PM) *

FOESADMF!!!

mad.gif finger.gif

FOUND OUT it EVEN SNOWS AFTER DINNER MY FRIENDS ? confused24.gif

drewvw

love the towlie avatar just saw that last week
Bartlett 914
The first Winter after I first moved to Chicago, there was more than a month where the temperature didn't get above zero. I finally figured out the best way to get my car started in the morning was to bring the battery inside at night. A warm battery did the trick. Winter sucks.
GWN7
Twin batterys, twin block heaters does the trick....

Mind you laying on my back in the street last week when it was warm (-35 ish) and replacing the starter wasn't any fun
Mueller
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 5 2007, 12:39 PM) *

Sounds like it's time to buy a engine block heater and/or an electric dipstick.....

or add a pint or so of gas into the motor right before shut down....it'll thin out the oil for the morning and will vaporize when the motor warms up....
TimT
My F250 PSD has 15 quarts of 15W40 in it now..

2 big ass batteries.... and its not liking the cold.. the block heater is great, when I remember to plug it in
dbrossi
I've spent most of my life here near Chicago, usually the trickle charger is a guy's best friend when it gets really miserable out. I know someone that's really got it good though; insulated his garage, put in electric heaters, he's out there in shirt sleeves this time of year messing with his 968 while I'm stuck here changing a friend's tire on a car so rusted out the jack actually broke through the reinforced jack point and left a nice hole where it should have been. Speaking of questionable drivers, also knew someone who decided the best way to warm up their engine on a cold way was to throw hot water on the engine block headbang.gif ....yeah that car's still a piece of southern lawn furniture to this day
PinetreePorsche
Here in N. Virginia, we're headed to a little less than 10 degrees tonight. Last night, at near 20, I was left hitting the starter about ten times (with success each time), because I have Webers with no choke. Get one second the first time, 3 the next, then 6, then 10, 15, 20, finally stays on. Then l;gas it a bit when I let the clutch out in neutral. SO what do you real Yankees and Kanuks do when it's really cold, with Webers? Any tricks to make it think its got a sort-of choke?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 5 2007, 03:45 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2007, 12:58 PM) *

FOESADMF!!!

mad.gif finger.gif

FOUND OUT it EVEN SNOWS AFTER DINNER MY FRIENDS ? confused24.gif

F*ck Off Eat Shit And Die MotherF*cker !
Joe Bob
Ya needs a comma in there someplace, Shorty.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 5 2007, 07:03 PM) *

Now Mikey? Remind me why YOU drive a 911??

Click to view attachment
Gint
Geez Clay... you kiss yo mama with that mouf?

Hey Rick!

For a guy that hates winter, you sure picked the wrong place to live. Hang in there man. We've still got snow on the ground too after 6 weeks. Never seen that here in my entire life. It's finally warmin up this week though and the snowand ice is actually... MELTING!
orthobiz
My 2003 Touareg likes to have funny warning light reactions to the cold. Like "defective wheel on board" or "light malfunction." Like a roulette wheel, can be a different problem each day, and none of them real!

Two winters ago the battery went dead in bitter cold. Just TRY to find the battery. I STILL haven't seen it. But I did find, once I removed some engine shroud material, the jumping posts!

We need cold where I am for snow for the tourist industry. It's bad when it's not cold. And it's been mild until now.

Paul
So.Cal.914
Think of all the money you'll save not running the ice maker.Click to view attachment

Joe Bob
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2007, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 5 2007, 07:03 PM) *

Now Mikey? Remind me why YOU drive a 911??

Click to view attachment

Because it runs all the time and no one asks me if it's a six....
VaccaRabite
Right now its 3 degrees (-11 wind chill) and I am going to bed knowing that my subaru will start right up tomorrow.

I was at FIG one year, and a 1942 willy jeep we had been restoring got so cold the gear oil in the differential froze. Starting those olf ford flathead v8s in the carriers with 6 volt starters SUCKED, but they damend things started.

Its amazing what a little ether will do.

Now, all wee need is about 6 inches of snow on the ground and I will be a happy camper.

Zach
rick 918-S
Well it's tucked into the heated garage for the night but not without incident. We used the Mothership to push it in. The rear bumper cover was so cold it shattered! It was an expensive day.. dry.gif I found out there is no solenoid available from the flaps. Dealer part only. So, I'm going for the salvage yard starter tomorrow.

I'm done venting now. mad.gif

Hey, I did win an ebay auction for a Lenco panel spotter today. I used to have one back in the day but it died and I never replaced it. I have to replicate the factory look on a Mercedes I repairing for a friend. Can't do it with a mig.
rich brennick
Thought I was stylin' when I headed out to start my 91 Diesel Jetta; plugged in- nice warm block... No crank with a frozen starter at -24 so said the window thermometer, and the horn was stuck on!
Cranked right up at +5 later on.
Kids are home- day 2; too cold says the school.

Starting to feel like Jack N. in "The Shining..." dumbass.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.