Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Key won't turn, so can't use the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PinetreePorsche
I couldn't find my daily-user key set for the 914, so grabbed the extras. No problem using it this morning--used it to turn the ignition about 8 times, as, without a choke on the Webers, it died, even with an artful flutter, quite a few times. But no problem on each start. Went out then home and turned it off. When I went to use it again, I couldn't get the almost-virgin key to turn again. Started to use the ailing Subaru, and there were my regular Porsche keys on the center console. So grabbed them, went back to use the 914, but the regular one won't work, either. What's likely the problem, and where do I begin the take-apart project? With the Subie and the van both ailing, I'd like the most reliable one I have, the 914, to be available. Thanks for any thoughts. (And no, it's not because the steering wheel is tight against the anti-theft cam-thingy.) -Chris H
John
Is it just the ignition lock doing this, or are the door locks doing it as well?

My ignition lock (only) is finicky about the key I use in it (I need to take it apart and find out what's up with it). Mine is not stuck, but sometimes it takes a little jiggling to get it to turn. I had been attributing it to a worn out key.

Can a good key be made from a worn out key?

Anyway, in my case, I'm guessing that it is something to do with just the ignition tumbler.

Another cause (potentially) could be a broken or breaking ignition switch. Something inside may be proventing the key from turning (my guess is still something with the lock itself).

I hope you find it and that it is easy to take care of.

(just my $0.02)
PinetreePorsche
Happily, with some liquid wrench (with the wand-tube thing), and lots of giggling and mild twisting, suddenly it gave, like something jammed let it go free. Now its acting llike it usually does. Great, but I'd still like to know where to start the surgical proceedure on these ignitions, in case it happens again (early warning!), but worse.
As for a good key from a worn key--I'm suspecting that's maybe the cause--pulling it out, some of the sharper teeth edges grabbed something and puled it where it shouldn't be. Maybe I'll go over the teeth of the "new" key--the copy, with a fine file to ease the transitions. It's a shame to own such a fine German road car and not have a key that will start it! Anyone with a history inside the ignition, please post!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Feb 5 2007, 04:57 PM) *

Happily, with some liquid wrench (with the wand-tube thing), and lots of giggling and mild twisting, suddenly it gave, like something jammed let it go free. Now its acting llike it usually does. Great, but I'd still like to know where to start the surgical proceedure on these ignitions, in case it happens again (early warning!), but worse.
As for a good key from a worn key--I'm suspecting that's maybe the cause--pulling it out, some of the sharper teeth edges grabbed something and puled it where it shouldn't be. Maybe I'll go over the teeth of the "new" key--the copy, with a fine file to ease the transitions. It's a shame to own such a fine German road car and not have a key that will start it! Anyone with a history inside the ignition, please post!

you probably just had a temporarily stuck tumbler lock pin. Graphite and work it a while. The ignition cylinder comes apart fairly easily Maybe it is time for a good cleaning and greasing
John
you probably just had a temporarily stuck tumbler lock pin. Graphite and work it a while. The ignition cylinder comes apart fairly easily Maybe it is time for a good cleaning and greasing

Use lock lubricant with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2). Graphite will polish the surfaces (it is a very fine abrasive).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.