Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went to start car and doesn't turn over
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Guess this is the new 914 playground!!!

Haven't started the car in about a month. So I went to let it run. I turned the motor over then heard a clunk and now it doesn't turn. I hope it's just the starter but it's way to cold to be messing with it today. sad.gif

But the starter is not spinning freely. So I think it may be something worse. Or maybe it's just to dam cold???

It is a high torque ministarter which I think has gears in it. I hope it's the gears in there that broke. Anything else is probably gonna be expansive.
So.Cal.914
How old is your starter?
turboman808
I put it in around september or october.
cooltimes
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Feb 5 2007, 02:18 PM) *

Guess this is the new 914 playground!!!

Haven't started the car in about a month. So I went to let it run. I turned the motor over then heard a clunk and now it doesn't turn. I hope it's just the starter but it's way to cold to be messing with it today. sad.gif

But the starter is not spinning freely. So I think it may be something worse. Or maybe it's just to dam cold???

It is a high torque ministarter which I think has gears in it. I hope it's the gears in there that broke. Anything else is probably gonna be expansive.

That is what I heard too and after all said and done, a few weeks of asking, poking around, all the dodah stuff, a new starter turns mine. $51 from a FLAPS.
My starter is now a FLAPS 914 automatic tranny starter installedon a 914 with a manual tranny.
BTW, have you tried the screwdriver jump on the solenoid. It could be something else as I am editing with hind sight after remembering what I was told might work.
Cold too.
Rand
I doubt "age-of-starer" is the issue.

Can you short red to green and get it to crank?

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Check the battery charge.....if it's less than 12.5 volts, charge it. If it's close to that...wiggle the cables, look for corrossion, check the connections on the starter, try again....clunk, then give a clunk to the starter with a non rebound hammer....try it again.
Chris Pincetich
I got a $20 trickle charger at my FLAPS this winter - it's so cold now that whatever little problem I've always had is now worse and the battery won't hold the juice in the cold. If I'm at 13.5 V or have a jump from a friend it always fires right up...otherwise no go. Good luck! beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
just make sure that the engine turns over by itself without the starter. Something may have dropped the way you describe the problem with just the sudden "clunk"
cooltimes
I am reading in the morning newspaper that the cold Artic air up in your region has disabled thousands of car batteries so maybe that is why your 914 won't start and not because of starter itself. Take battery out and let it warm up naturally inside the house and then give it a slow charge. Just letting you know what is in the news.
Stay warm.

Mike Cooley
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.