Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aux Air Reg - Voltage prob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
3d914
I've been having sporatic results using the stock Aux Air Reg (AAR) on my 2.0L. Since winter is back in AZ, I've tested, rewired, and remounted the AAR for use.

The AAR itself works fine stand-alone or mounted, and closes with 12v directly from the batt.

Here's my problem: I'm getting voltage dropout from the 12v lead to the regulator. I repaired what intially was a broken wire, but the source voltage is dropping out somewhere. I checked impedence across the wire from the relay board and its OK.

After reviewing the manuals I've arrived at some questions:

1) The AAR voltage comes from lead #12 of the relay connector at low-right of board. Is this power source a constant (switched) 12V?

2) My schematic for the relay board shows lead #12 going to lead #87 of the Fuel Pump relay & to lead #13 (which I thought was UnSwitched pwr). Does the relay play a roll in this circuit?

3) Is there a problem if I rewire the AAR to get 12V (switched pwr) at all times, or does it have to cut off at some point?

Many thanks,
brp914
the aar and fuel pump get the same switched +12. the fail mode of the aar is such that it blow the 25A fuse on the relay board (well, atleast in my case it did). The fuel pump wont run and the aar wont get +12. Rather than rigging an alternate circuit, I would try to find the root cause (aar?)
ejm
The AAR is powered from the fuel pump relay. If your fuel pump is working ok and you lose voltage to the AAR there is a problem with the wiring or possibly the relay board.
3d914
Thanks guys.

One reason I still have FP pwr is that since I'm running MegaSquirt I have the FP pwr coming from its relay board & not the stock one. I checked the fuse mentioned and its OK, but the relay may be gone.

Isn't there a way to jumper the relay circuit to bypass it and complete the circuit, so I can verify that I'm getting the 12V?

TIA
brp914
you can pull out the relay and jumper where 87 to 30 would be, or, grab another relay, for instance from behind the plastic cover for a headlight motor and swap. Or, just test for +12 at terminal 30. Another thing, I've had the 25A fuse holder become corroded causing the pump to stop. Might want to pop it out and clean things up. good luck

3d914
brp,

Good idea. I forgot how fragile these fuses & holders are. I recall fuses that looked good - I take them out and they fall in pieces.

Such fun.
3d914
Well I finally figured out the problem . . .

ME!

I finally dug out my data on the MS relay board and what I had done. Since I have the FP tied to the MS relay board, I removed the stock FP relay - Duh! - thereby disabling the circuit for the AAR.

I wasn't using the Aux Air feature on the MS relay board so I just used that. In fact I had it already wired to the engine bay but terminated. I was thinking ahead when I did that - but unfortunately I forgot that I did.

Am I gettin golder or what? yellowsleep[1].gif

Enjoy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.