Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bogaat
Anyone ever seen side trim on a 914? I am considering a purchase and the car has chrome trim all around. The owner says it was that way when he bought the car years ago...he assumed it was stock. Was this something dealerships did as an addon? Anyone know how this stuff was attached if so? I am hoping it didn't involve actual holes in the body. The car is a 73 2 liter. All input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Click to view attachment
dflesburg
Trim>?

I am too old for this thread....
SGB
There was none from the factory, and the smooth sides tend to show dings easily. Most of the time when it is done it looks pretty ghastly. I once considered adding some to my car as part of a paint job, but didn't like any I saw. The ones on that black car are very nice, Thinly perprtioned and running along above the rear fender like that looks very 356ish.
So.Cal.914
As I understand it, it was installed by the dealer and was not uniform from

car to car. I have heard adhesive and screws being used, I hope its not screws.

The rest of the car looks good just remove that gastly molding...Sorry.
Martin Baker
The bigger question here is if its a 73 2.0 where are the chrome bumpers, fog lights and alloy wheels? These were standard that year for the 2.0 liter.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Feb 5 2007, 08:13 PM) *

The bigger question here is if its a 73 2.0 where are the chrome bumpers, fog lights and alloy wheels? These were standard that year for the 2.0 liter.

could be a transplanted 2.0

or maybe it's one of the first 1000 from 73 av-943.gif
ClayPerrine
The dealer stuck that junk on Betty's car. It was there when she got it. We took it off and cleaned off the adhesive, and it looked much better.
Bogaat
VIN 4732925605
Doesn't look to be one of the first 1000. So would it have been an engine upgrade? Anything else I can check to confirm if it was a 1.7 or 2.0 from the factory (minus writing the factory)?
Bogaat
Build date 4/73...any thoughts guys?
confused24.gif
boxstr
Having worked at a Porsche Audi dealer in the 70s the side trim was a dealer add-on. Yours appears to be the type that was drilled and secured with pop rivets, then the black plastic trim was added.
You can remove the black trim material, it just pulls out so that you can look on th eunderside to see how many pop rivets(holes) you have to deal with.
CCLINDEALERMARKUP
Bogaat
Thanks Craig. Any idea if this was an upgraded 1.7? I am asking for the engine serial which may provide some clue...thanks again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.