Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914's in Wisconsin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisPaegelow
Hey guys, I've been lurking around and reading on here for a while, but this is my first post.

Anyway, I'm really thinking about trying to pick up a decent 914 this spring, but I'm curious:
How do these guys get along with our beautiful Wisconsin weather? Do any of you guys drive them at all in the winter, or do they go into the garage right away once it gets cold out?

The thing is, and always has been, with me, is that I can't bring myself to be interested in a 'sensible' vehicle. I'd much rather buy something cool and less-than-completely-practical.

So, I can afford one car.
Could I get away with it, or is it too ridiculous?

So.Cal.914
From 1982 to 87 mine was my daily driver. Yes I had to maintain it but the

worst thing that happened was a broken clutch cable (carried one with the spare)

and I changed it on the side of the road. If you are mechanically inclined or

willing to learn I don't see any reason you could not make it work. But I know

more about the moon as I do about Wisconsin weather so...
736conver
Chris

welcome.png

Hey were are you located exactly. There are a couple of us around the area. I do know of two local 914's that are also for sale.

As for winter driving. Mine never saw the salty WI roads.
jim912928
Welcome,

My first 914 (this is 25 years ago) was a daily driver and I drove it throughout the year in northwest IN (South Bend)....it saw plenty of snow. It wasn't bad. Nowadays I just park it and drive the jeep! Just remember, it will be a 30 year old car and thus it will have more then it's share of work needed to keep it going as a daily driver....not unlike any 30 year old car.
Rusty
I grew up in Wisconsin, probably not too far from you.

Hope the snow is gone by April and the rain washes the roads clean... then... enjoy your Summers. smile.gif
ChrisPaegelow
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 6 2007, 12:47 AM) *

Chris

welcome.png

Hey were are you located exactly. There are a couple of us around the area. I do know of two local 914's that are also for sale.

As for winter driving. Mine never saw the salty WI roads.

I live right around downtown Milwaukee.
I found a nice looking one for sale around here on craigslist yesterday, but it was already sold sad.gif
rick 918-S
welcome.png salt =death slap.gif wavey.gif
PinetreePorsche
Guess you have two possible choices: Get a decent (but not concourse) one, maybe 3 grand, plus any old $500 junker for when they salt the roads--clear through till the spring rains clean the roads(just swap off the insurance). OR get a really rough one--barely enough real metal left to not fall apart on a harsh bump--esp check the pass. side long box beam, under the battery where the wheel is mounted --but be sure the heat works or can be fixed cheap). Maybe a grand and a half. Drive it through the winter, salt and all--the southern Cal. guys would already call it a parts car anyway. And you'll learn the car. In a few years, make it a parts car and get a decent one when the budget expands. Plenty of opportunities to learn, and adventures, too.
736conver
I found a nice looking one for sale around here on craigslist yesterday, but it was already sold

I bectha that was Andy's car. Was the price $6000. It was a nice car, saw it a couple of times. Have you checked our classifieds here on the board. If your interested I can give you the details on the other cars I know of. Status of those cars is also unknown they might be sold as well by now.

Also did you check this thread out on the board.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=67431&hl=

It was a good time last year. Even if you dont have a 914 your more then welcomed. I want to say there were at least 3 people without 914's
BigDBass
welcome.png
Hi Chris,
Another vote for keeping it off the road in the salty snowy winter. In 2006, however, the weather was dry and warm enough (at least here in Chicago) to have kept driving the 914 until at least the end of the year. If my car were running, that is!
orthobiz
Yep, the Milwaukee car was Andy's, sold to ND for 5700, guy flew in and drove it to Fargo. Used to be my car (sniff, sniff), I was 2 days late. I'll eventually get over it!

Paul
STL914
welcome.png

I too was raised in Milwaukee, the south side near Oklahoma Ave. Moved to St. Louis about 17 years ago.

I bought my first 914 from Brad Meyeur in East Peoria, Il. He's about three hours from you, not too far. Brad's about the best source of information on 914's in the area. Give him a yell:

Brad Mayeur
914 Limited
1162 Byerly Hills Dr.
East Peoria, IL. 61611
(309) 694-1797
p914ltd@yahoo.com
Rusty
Brad Mayeur is definitely one of the white-hats. A really, realy great guy. I bought two cars from him, and MANY parts.

When I'm really in a jam, he's the guy I call.
ChrisPaegelow
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Feb 6 2007, 08:20 AM) *

Guess you have two possible choices: Get a decent (but not concourse) one, maybe 3 grand, plus any old $500 junker for when they salt the roads--clear through till the spring rains clean the roads(just swap off the insurance). OR get a really rough one--barely enough real metal left to not fall apart on a harsh bump--esp check the pass. side long box beam, under the battery where the wheel is mounted --but be sure the heat works or can be fixed cheap). Maybe a grand and a half. Drive it through the winter, salt and all--the southern Cal. guys would already call it a parts car anyway. And you'll learn the car. In a few years, make it a parts car and get a decent one when the budget expands. Plenty of opportunities to learn, and adventures, too.

That's not a bad idea. I was thinking I might have to wait a while longer, but maybe I should get a cheapo car for the winter, so I can preserve a nice 914 or whatever for the summer.

QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 6 2007, 08:26 AM) *

I found a nice looking one for sale around here on craigslist yesterday, but it was already sold

I bectha that was Andy's car. Was the price $6000. It was a nice car, saw it a couple of times. Have you checked our classifieds here on the board. If your interested I can give you the details on the other cars I know of. Status of those cars is also unknown they might be sold as well by now.

Yeah that was the one! Sure let me know which ones are around here and I'll take a look.
Eric_Shea
welcome.png

Yeah hey der... I say we have a "Brat Stop" rendezvous with all the FIBS and Cheese Heads! After dat we can go lose some money on the dogs... hey?

We gotta find Chris a car!
ChrisPaegelow
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 6 2007, 04:56 PM) *

welcome.png

Yeah hey der... I say we have a "Brat Stop" rendezvous with all the FIBS and Cheese Heads! After dat we can go lose some money on the dogs... hey?

We gotta find Chris a car!

Man I just got home from school and I could go for a frickin Brat Stop!!! chowtime.gif beerchug.gif
STL914
Here's a quick Cheesehead quiz:

What is a bubbler?

What is Sheepshead?

Oh, and don't forget the Kraut for the brats!
GeorgeRud
Hey, we FIBS are having a tough enough time since our Bears were found out for the Cubs they really are.

Winter is tough on all, but don't put a nice 914 through it. Save it for spring!

Today is 0-5 degrees with about 3 inches of new snow in Chicago!
BigDBass
Hey, we FIBS are having a tough enough time since our Bears were found out for the Cubs they really are.
agree.gif mad.gif hanged.gif headbang.gif
Winter is tough on all, but don't put a nice 914 through it. Save it for spring!
agree.gif MDB2.gif
ChrisPaegelow
QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 6 2007, 08:00 PM) *

What is a bubbler?

My state's bubbler can kick the crap out of your state's "water fountain"
confused24.gif
wbergtho
Don't ever drive a 914 in the snow! I have some experience with this. I drove a 71 914 back from CA a few years ago and encountered the mother of all snow storms in the mountains. I'm glad to still be alive today. Poor heat...and extremely vulnerable when you get hit by a semi sliding through an intersection into your driver's door! Drive in the summer only! Rick is right....salt=death.
John
QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 6 2007, 06:00 PM) *

What is a bubbler?

What is Sheepshead?

A bubbler - One of those water dispensers with the inverted water bottle.

A Sheepshead - A stout beer (Ale, one of those dark ones)

I spent a couple of winters up there.
BMartin914
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 7 2007, 12:11 AM) *

Don't ever drive a 914 in the snow! I have some experience with this. I drove a 71 914 back from CA a few years ago and encountered the mother of all snow storms in the mountains. I'm glad to still be alive today. Poor heat...and extremely vulnerable when you get hit by a semi sliding through an intersection into your driver's door! Drive in the summer only! Rick is right....salt=death.

It's all about the tires. These cars do well in the snow with PROPER tires. You are not going anywhere in ES100s in the snow.

They also handle salt and corrosive ice-prevention chemicals poorly.
John
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 6 2007, 11:11 PM) *

I drove one as a daily driver year round for about 4 years. (until I got out of school and could afford a beater car) Just keep the salt washed out of your fenders (or never let it melt).

My stainless heat exchangers were enough to make you open the windows after they got hot. The worst part is the defroster. When you drive a 914 in the winter, you learn not to breathe. As far as traction goes, a stock 914 with stock tires can do amazingly well if you are careful. I never got stuck or hit.
Rusty
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 7 2007, 01:11 AM) *

Previous posters are correct. With the proper tires, the 914 performs wonderfully in the snow. On dry, wet or icy roads, our cars are still so well balanced that they don't fishtail, etc.

A few years back, I drove from Iowa to Virginia in January... taking the PA turnpike. It was snow over ice, and not once did I ever feel the car was out of control.

Of course, I'm always paranoid when there are big semis around me, winter or summer. Our cars are just soooo small. unsure.gif
736conver
QUOTE(John @ Feb 7 2007, 01:21 AM) *

QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 6 2007, 06:00 PM) *

What is a bubbler?

What is Sheepshead?

A bubbler - One of those water dispensers with the inverted water bottle.

A Sheepshead - A stout beer (Ale, one of those dark ones)

I spent a couple of winters up there.

John,

Are you sure you spent a couple of winters up here. Both those answer are wrong.
ChrisPaegelow
haha!
BigDBass
I thought a Sheapshead was a fish. And a bubbler? Well, that conjures up foggy college memories that I'll just keep to myself.
gopack
hint sheepshead = Schafkopf
and
the bubbler was invented by Kohler company in 1888

I hate to say this, as a loyal Packer Backer (and season ticket holder), but I hated to see the Bears show who they really are ala Dennis Green!
John
QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 7 2007, 06:26 AM) *

John,

Are you sure you spent a couple of winters up here. Both those answer are wrong.

Really,

That's what they were calling them in Milwaukee

Milwaukee Ale House

And, since the type of water fountains that they had in the factories I was in, I assumed that is why they called them bubblers. (the bubbles that rise up).

We spent more time drinking than fishing anyway.

gopack
QUOTE(John @ Feb 7 2007, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 7 2007, 06:26 AM) *

John,

Really,

That's what they were calling them in Milwaukee

Milwaukee Ale House

And, since the type of water fountains that they had in the factories I was in, I assumed that is why they called them bubblers. (the bubbles that rise up).

We spent more time drinking than fishing anyway.

if'n you'se were to read your own link ting, hey, you'se see the answer to the sheepshead question. Ya hey!

My favorite wisconsin quote? "trow me over da bar, a beer der hey".
John
QUOTE(gopack @ Feb 7 2007, 07:23 AM) *

if'n you'se were to read your own link ting, hey, you'se see the answer to the sheepshead question. Ya hey!

My favorite wisconsin quote? "trow me over da bar, a beer der hey".

Hey, we didn't do much READING or playing CARDS while I was there either. I knew I wasn't imagining drinking that stuff.

wbergtho
Hell...you can drive a uni cycle in the snow if you want. My point is you are "spam in a can" when you get hit in one of these fun little SUMMER cars! And they rust to beat hell!
STL914
Yep, a card game and a drinking fountain. When I went down to Louisiana for basic training I found out that Sheepshead was not know outside of Wiscinsin. The guys down there had a different game they played with sheep: sheeplove.gif
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(John @ Feb 6 2007, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 6 2007, 11:11 PM) *

I drove one as a daily driver year round for about 4 years. (until I got out of school and could afford a beater car) Just keep the salt washed out of your fenders (or never let it melt).

My stainless heat exchangers were enough to make you open the windows after they got hot. The worst part is the defroster. When you drive a 914 in the winter, you learn not to breathe. As far as traction goes, a stock 914 with stock tires can do amazingly well if you are careful. I never got stuck or hit.

If your defrost can't keep up once the motor warms up--4 or5 minutes--(yeah, its a small volume of air, so it will super- saturate quickly), either your fan isn't working, your hoses from the fan are not right and tight, or the heater flaps in those little triangular flap-boxes aren't opening all the way. At 2000 rpm your forehead should be getting hot from the def. vents. If you're in the far, far north, wrap the paper/metalic foil flexi-hoses with thin foam insulation, and tape them to the tubes at the ends. End of problem. I got heat in Boston from 10-year old VW vans with those bogus heater boxes-- enough to shed the jacket on a longer run. If they can do it, your 914 can.
John
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Feb 7 2007, 10:24 AM) *

If your defrost can't keep up once the motor warms up--4 or5 minutes--(yeah, its a small volume of air, so it will super- saturate quickly), either your fan isn't working, your hoses from the fan are not right and tight, or the heater flaps in those little triangular flap-boxes aren't opening all the way. At 2000 rpm your forehead should be getting hot from the def. vents. If you're in the far, far north, wrap the paper/metalic foil flexi-hoses with thin foam insulation, and tape them to the tubes at the ends. End of problem. I got heat in Boston from 10-year old VW vans with those bogus heater boxes-- enough to shed the jacket on a longer run. If they can do it, your 914 can.

I suppose I should have made that more clear. When driving before the heat exchangers get hot, and it is ASS FREEZING cold out, you will frost the INSIDE of your windshield. So you learn not to breathe. After it warms up, it is a non-issue and you must let cool air in or you will roast to death. I never warmed my car up prior to taking off as it was too cold to wait. I would get in and drive.

Anyone notice how slippery the frozen stock seat bottoms seem?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.