Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: M471 Dealer Installation Invite
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
cool_shades.gif Back in 1978 or 1979 I seem to remember my Father getting a letter from Porsche to go to the dealer & have the M471 package installed at a special price. He, of course, said no..."it's an LE". Thanks God for his insight. I wish we would have saved that letter. I was wondering if anyone else remembers this notice & actually did it? Not neccesarily to an LE but any 914, although an LE w/ the M471 option is something I've never seen & have only discussed w/ George H. until now. Cat's out of the bag! creamsicle914.jpg
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 6 2007, 07:37 AM) *

cool_shades.gif Back in 1978 or 1979 I seem to remember my Father getting a letter from Porsche to go to the dealer & have the M471 package installed at a special price. He, of course, said no..."it's an LE". Thanks God for his insight. I wish we would have saved that letter. I was wondering if anyone else remembers this notice & actually did it? Not neccesarily to an LE but any 914, although an LE w/ the M471 option is something I've never seen & have only discussed w/ George H. until now. Cat's out of the bag! creamsicle914.jpg

I saw on the thread for the "show us your certificate or authenticity" that in 76 that german certificate showed the m-471 package consisting of neg stripes mahle alloys and a limited edition spoiler. Maybe that was the promotion?
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 6 2007, 10:48 AM) *

I saw on the thread for the "show us your certificate or authenticity" that in 76 that german certificate showed the m-471 package consisting of neg stripes mahle alloys and a limited edition spoiler. Maybe that was the promotion?

I'm pretty sure it was for the flare package & I remember my Dad raising all sorts of unanswered questions like- "What about the wheels? They will look silly, being so skinny?" cool_shades.gif
Eric_Shea
said no..."it's an LE". Thanks God for his insight.

Hmmmmmmm... seems to me he would have the only LE with dealer installed flares at this point. Insightful? wink.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 6 2007, 11:18 AM) *

said no..."it's an LE". Thanks God for his insight.

Hmmmmmmm... seems to me he would have the only LE with dealer installed flares at this point. Insightful? wink.gif

I would have agreed w/ you 30 yrs ago whole-heartedly. I wanted him to do it & it seemed like a waste of time & money to him. He also felt that the offer was misleading in that it ignored too many questions: wheels, rockers, spoiler & valence. Now, after being hammered by everyone who's seen my car to leave it alone I can't agree anymore. I think my Dad was right & it's why I went looking for the six I got- she's been messed w/ so much there's no restoring her. But I do remember that notice. I also remember a notice for the gas tank that wasn't as pleasant as the flare letter. cool_shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 6 2007, 07:48 AM) *

agree.gif

m471 means completely different things for different years and models ...

AFAIK, the "flare" package m471 was only available for original /6 cars.

but there were other "m471" packages for later cars that had nothing to do with the GT flared kit ...
bye1.gif Andy
John
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 6 2007, 07:48 AM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 6 2007, 07:37 AM) *

agree.gif

Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2007, 06:18 PM) *

that's it

compare the following ones: 1971 vs 1975

Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 6 2007, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 6 2007, 06:18 PM) *

that's it

compare the following ones: 1971 vs 1975

huh.gif I have no doubt that you're right & perhaps I'm confused. It would make no sense however, to send a letter to a 74 LE owner for a front spoiler, sway bars & wheels. I do know that it was from "Manhattan Porsche-Audi" in Rockville, MD. They were taken over a long time ago & have changed locations twice since then. Now known as "Rockville Porsche-Audi". Perhaps they were trying to get rid of some surplus inventory & generate some labor income? cool_shades.gif
John
I don't know german (but I seem to be picking it up through osmosis).

Is that:

Front spoiler
stabilizer bars front and rear
15X5.5 wheels

That could be dealer installed (but I kinda wonder about the sway bars).
Gustl
QUOTE(John @ Feb 6 2007, 06:54 PM) *

Is that:

Front spoiler
stabilizer bars front and rear
15X5.5 wheels

thumb3d.gif that's it biggrin.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 6 2007, 06:54 PM) *

huh.gif I have no doubt that you're right & perhaps I'm confused. It would make no sense however, to send a letter to a 74 LE owner for stripes, sway bars & wheels.

I didn't want to tell anybody what actually happend in the late 70ies - how could I confused24.gif

I just wanted to show the fact, that there were different meanings of M-options in different years ...

beerchug.gif Gustl
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(Gustl @ Feb 6 2007, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Feb 6 2007, 06:54 PM) *

huh.gif I have no doubt that you're right & perhaps I'm confused. It would make no sense however, to send a letter to a 74 LE owner for stripes, sway bars & wheels.

I didn't want to tell anybody what actually happend in the late 70ies - how could I confused24.gif

I just wanted to show the fact, that there were different meanings of M-options in different years ...

beerchug.gif Gustl

thumb3d.gif I knew M471 meant more than one thing for different years. I did'nt know the flares were supposed to be exclusive to the 6. Thank you for the clarification. I just remember arguing about it w/ my Dad & could have sworn it was for flares. cool_shades.gif
SGB
Somewhere in here is a post I made about meeting the Peachstate region PCA pres at Road Atlanta. He has a stunning blue -6 with the M471 option that was installed by the dealer in San Diego. His version was "the factory was trying to get rid of the stuff and shipped it to dealers". I believe he had owned his car since new, or it was purchased used from the SD dealer. I've got a picture of it somewhere I'll post later.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 6 2007, 01:55 PM) *

Somewhere in here is a post I made about meeting the Peachstate region PCA pres at Road Atlanta. He has a stunning blue -6 with the M471 option that was installed by the dealer in San Diego. His version was "the factory was trying to get rid of the stuff and shipped it to dealers". I believe he had owned his car since new, or it was purchased used from the SD dealer. I've got a picture of it somewhere I'll post later.

cool_shades.gif Thank you!! I was hoping that I hadn't fried all of my brain cells. Looking forward towards your post. creamsicle914.jpg
SGB
Hey- I'm looking for it!

If I ever find it....
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(SGB @ Feb 8 2007, 04:34 PM) *

Hey- I'm looking for it!

If I ever find it....

creamsicle914.jpg what can I do but wait & say thank you? Thanks!!:shades:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.