Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Computer Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Rescue
How do you post a link with words instead of the actual URL?

When I post one I copy and paste the actual URL. That works, but I would like to take the next step. It appears you can say "link", or "go here", or whatever and establish a link to the site. Any teachers out there?
Rand
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 6 2007, 09:02 AM) *

How do you post a link with words instead of the actual URL?

When I post one I copy and paste the actual URL. That works, but I would like to take the next step. It appears you can say "link", or "go here", or whatever and establish a link to the site. Any teachers out there?

When you use the "Insert Link" button, the first popup asks for the URL, the second popup asks for the title - which is where you say whatever you want.
Porsche Rescue
Work with me here (computer challenged). I have never used an insert link button. I just highlight the URL, copy, then paste to my post.
Rand
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Feb 6 2007, 09:08 AM) *

Work with me here (computer challenged). I have never used an insert link button. I just highlight the URL, copy, then paste to my post.

When you reply or create a post, there's a toolbar just above the area you type your message in. One of the icons looks like this: IPB Image
Click that to insert a link.
Porsche Rescue

Guess I'm a bit slow. When I click the icon I get " errror, you must enter a URL you must enter a title." How do I do that and in what order?
Joe Bob
Your security settings are too high....either in your anti-virus or Internet Explorer....try right clicking on your Internet browser, click "properties" and then look in "security".
gopack
your browser is blocking pop ups
I did a couple of screen captures to illustrate it. took me a few minutes to figure it out the first time too!

IPB Image

IPB Image

after you allow the scripted window, you may have to try again from the begining with the little link icon

then you can enter the URL CUT and PASTE works here!

IPB Image

and your text

IPB Image

cheers.
BigDBass
your browser is blocking pop ups
I did a couple of screen captures to illustrate it. took me a few minutes to figure it out the first time too!
Pretty good for a chemist! biggrin.gif
Porsche Rescue
Ok. I can unblock now. What do I do next? Type in the complete URL or can I paste it in the block? Then how do I turn it into words in the actual post?
gopack
I edited my previous post to include those instructions as well! take a look. AND Dan, I have to say that us CHEMISTS are LOTS smarter than keyboard jockies any day!
Porsche Rescue
Test: A car I would love to own, but would never pay the price.

912 Targa
Porsche Rescue
I passed! Thank you all very much (the chemist is the best teacher for the challenged student).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.