Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine bay fuel line clamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pages: 1, 2
1970 Neun vierzehn
In the refurbishing of the engine bay, I began wondering about the clamps on the fuel lines. The originals, as I recall, were what I call "tension" clamps, sort of "spring loaded" by virue of their shape. I have something similar on my old motorcycle fuel petcock. What they have been replaced with over the years are the typical screwdriver-tightened "hose clamp". The P+A dealer sez the hose clamp is definitely better as they can be "tightened" and don't loose "tension" like the OEM do/did. I don't ever remember the originals getting "weak", as I remember it, they were a nuisance to get off in the first place because they were both so tight, and awkward to access to release the tension they held on the hose.

I'm assuming that the old syle clamps can still be gotten somewhere.

I know what's original here, I'm wondering what's better.
TJB/914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 6 2007, 10:13 AM) *

In the refurbishing of the engine bay, I began wondering about the clamps on the fuel lines. The originals, as I recall, were what I call "tension" clamps, sort of "spring loaded" by virue of their shape. I have something similar on my old motorcycle fuel petcock. What they have been replaced with over the years are the typical screwdriver-tightened "hose clamp". The P+A dealer sez the hose clamp is definitely better as they can be "tightened" and don't loose "tension" like the OEM do/did. I don't ever remember the originals getting "weak", as I remember it, they were a nuisance to get off in the first place because they were both so tight, and awkward to access to release the tension they held on the hose.

Hate to put pressure on you, but remember it's not original unless you use them. I think they may still be available from the Porsche dealer.

Between you & me I would upgrade to a safety/practical installation with fuel lines, (my opinion).

Tom
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 6 2007, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 6 2007, 10:13 AM) *

Hate to put pressure on you, but remember it's not original unless you use them. I think they may still be available from the Porsche dealer.

Between you & me I would upgrade to a safety/practical installation with fuel lines, (my opinion).

Tom

Tom,

I think what Paul is referring to are the clamps used to mount the fuel lines to the injectors. I say this because your pic is that of the clamps that hold the lines in place.

The original clamps that sealed the rubber/cloth fuel ine to the injectors was a crimp-on type claamp - not adjustable. On my 914, these were replaced with screw compression clamps when Porsche did the fuel line recall ('74?). They still work prefectly today & are very small.

Wish I could show a picture, but it's 28 degrees in my garage (5 degrees outside) & I'm a sissy.
Pat
Bleyseng
You can get the proper FI fuel line clamps anywhere, cheap. The usual ones are gold plated (nice like oem) but slightly deeper than oem. big deal they don't cut the fuel line like the crappy gasline screw hose clamps. alfred.gif

Next item is what fuel line are you using? I prefer the rubber coated High pressure hose from Porsche or Pelican Parts. You can save your old fuel line sheath too and reinstall it so it look oem but is safer. AA sells the preformed elbows that were part of the recall. don't use the fabic hose that comes on the injectors as it cracks in short order spraying gas all over the place! chair.gif
Porsche Rescue
Geoff, my 80K mile '76 still has the original hose on the injectors. What do I do and how?
Looks like a bitch to get the injectors out with the extra EGR plumbing in place (first time I have had a 914 with EGR, but it is plugged and not operative).
Bleyseng
If its still original seals and the nonrecall fi hose order the injector (inner and outer) seals and the recall supplied special formed elbows from AA. cut the fabric hose off the injector and replace it! Use the special FI hose clamps to clamp it to the injector and fuel rails. This can't be a Concours deduct cuz thats the factory recall method. Hopefully the other fi fuel line has been replaced or do it now like I posted keeping the special sheath and replacing the fuel lines before you have a fire. headbang.gif
Porsche Rescue
Thanks. The other lines in the engine compartment have been recently replaced with the fabric covered lines (hope high pressure!). The old lines came in the trunk, very hard rubber hoses. No sheath at all. I have dealer work order from 1977 stating "fuel line recall", N/C. Maybe I don't have the original hose on the injectors but it is old. Better look more closely.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 7 2007, 12:38 PM) *

You can get the proper FI fuel line clamps anywhere, cheap. The usual ones are gold plated (nice like oem) but slightly deeper than oem. big deal they don't cut the fuel line like the crappy gasline screw hose clamps. alfred.gif

Next item is what fuel line are you using? I prefer the rubber coated High pressure hose from Porsche or Pelican Parts. You can save your old fuel line sheath too and reinstall it so it look oem but is safer. AA sells the preformed elbows that were part of the recall. don't use the fabic hose that comes on the injectors as it cracks in short order spraying gas all over the place! chair.gif

Hey Geoff!

I don't hang around too many parts places, so where can these clamps be gotten? And how are they crimped into place?

Checked PP, PerfProd & AA - no listings for these. Where?!
Pat
Bleyseng
use these
http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?b...ocation_id=2959
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 11 2007, 10:55 PM) *

Here I go again getting confused. What your showing is what I have, from the recall program in 1976?

I thought you mean that there was a source for the "original" pressure clamps - the ones that had no adjustment. They were a metal band with a locking tab, apparently applied with some sort of crimping tool.

Don't really want them, since they were a bitch to remove. The ones you're talking about work perfectly & have for over 30 years on my car. Sorry for my confusion.
Pat
IronHillRestorations
AFAIK the recall is still active, and if the car has never had the (HO I think) recall performed, then in theory it could be done free at a Porsche dealer. Worth checking out anyway.

The factory style hose clamps aren't that much more than the worm screw type. One of the few Porsche parts that shouldn't come with a kiss.
Bleyseng
Yes, those clamps style fuel line clamps can be sourced but who wants them! The "Factory Recall" replaced the fuel lines and the pictured injector elbows and used the proper Fuel injection hose clamp. Those screw type clamp digs into the hose resulting in leaks, never use those.

For Concour judging, the proper fuel line, elbows and clamps per the recall should be considered as "factory" IMHO.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 13 2007, 12:36 PM) *

Yes, those clamps style fuel line clamps can be sourced but who wants them! The "Factory Recall" replaced the fuel lines and the pictured injector elbows and used the proper Fuel injection hose clamp. Those screw type clamp digs into the hose resulting in leaks, never use those.

For Concour judging, the proper fuel line, elbows and clamps per the recall should be considered as "factory" IMHO.

I agree! That's what my original point was. The "campaign" parts are better & I've never seen a gig for having them. It's like the early 911's with hydropneumatic suspension - even Porsche recommended trashing it and PCA specifically recommended it & denounced points reduction for the refit.
914Rookie
This may be wishful thinking... but how long is a re-call good for ? I'm wondering if my '75 2.0 has had the service done and secondly if I can just stroll into my local Porsche Dealership and have them perform recall number 77V105000, replacing all my fuel hose for free !. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Greg
Bleyseng
OEM style for $.69 each
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=311133515
MrKona
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 14 2007, 08:57 AM) *

I bought these, very nice, great deal in my opinion.

Speaking of good deals, I just took a chance today and ordered 4 fuel hose elbows, but not the Porsche elbows from Auto Atlanta. ~$13.00 EACH is too rich for me. Instead, I ordered 4 BMW fuel hose elbows, BMW part # 16121176821 from this place: idea.gif

$2.93 each. I believe they should be 7mm I'll let you know how they fit once I receive them.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...M&siteid=26

I found the part number from this website:

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/fuelhose/fuelhose.html
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(914Rookie @ Feb 14 2007, 11:50 AM) *

This may be wishful thinking... but how long is a re-call good for ? I'm wondering if my '75 2.0 has had the service done and secondly if I can just stroll into my local Porsche Dealership and have them perform recall number 77V105000, replacing all my fuel hose for free !. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Greg

The recall is still active for all 914's that haven't had it performed. Your local dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN has/has not been done. If is has been done (probably), they'll probably try to sell you another redo, and that's not a bad thing. If it hasn't, they'll do it. They don't care - get the cost from Porsche.
Find out - it's important
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 14 2007, 06:42 PM) *

The recall is still active for all 914's that haven't had it performed. Your local dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN has/has not been done. If is has been done (probably), they'll probably try to sell you another redo, and that's not a bad thing. If it hasn't, they'll do it. They don't care - get the cost from Porsche.
Find out - it's important

I know I have seen somewhere or heard here, that the recalls for 914s are no longer being honored. Something about 'reasonable time' or 'parts NLA opr something. The dealer network can verify if your vehicle has had the recall though.

The 914 fuel line recall was recall campaign HO.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Recalls.htm

Bleyseng
mine didn't have the HO sticker nor did it have FI when I got it. sad.gif
914Rookie
Jeff, not Geoff, (but thank Geoff also !)

Thanks for the link, I think I'll print out the official recall notice and drop on into the Porsche Dealership and see how many jaws drop on the floor blink.gif when I ask for the HO recall service. I'll keep you posted, should happen sometime next week. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Greg
914Rookie
UP-DATE...

Just got off the phone with the local Porsche dealership and he said there is no statute of limitations regarding the recall. He did say that there may be a problem with parts availability. I'll drop by and see what they say when I get there in person.

Greg
jk76.914
QUOTE(MrKona @ Feb 14 2007, 08:31 PM) *

Speaking of good deals, I just took a chance today and ordered 4 fuel hose elbows, but not the Porsche elbows from Auto Atlanta. ~$13.00 EACH is too rich for me. Instead, I ordered 4 BMW fuel hose elbows, BMW part # 16121176821 from this place: idea.gif

$2.93 each. I believe they should be 7mm I'll let you know how they fit once I receive them.

I got my elbows from Stoddard's. $11.13 each. Part number is 043-133-187. Also, I got a bag of ABA hoseclamps from UltimateGarage.com. I think there were 25 in the bag.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(914Rookie @ Feb 22 2007, 11:15 AM) *

UP-DATE...

Just got off the phone with the local Porsche dealership and he said there is no statute of limitations regarding the recall. He did say that there may be a problem with parts availability. I'll drop by and see what they say when I get there in person.

Greg

new acid resistant rubber fuel line and clamps are in short supply? av-943.gif
MrKona
QUOTE(MrKona @ Feb 14 2007, 05:31 PM) *

I received the fuel line elbows. They will work great for me, especially for the price. However, they do have markings on them which may not be appropriate for originality. Here are a few pictures. The clamp in this picture is from busdepot.com. I had my injectors cleaned by WitchHunter Performance, witchhunter.com.

- Bryan
Bleyseng
I ordered a set too and I am still waiting for em.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 3 2007, 10:15 AM) *

I ordered a set too and I am still waiting for em.

Do you think it's possible to "create" your own elbows by using somehting like a heat gun & the appropriate cradle device? What if you just used a n appropriate pice uf fuel line, connected everything properly & let it form itself over time?

Why the need for a pre-formed elbow?

Could you get kinking in the line if you didn't use an elbow?

Reason I ask is that's what I did 16 years ago. No problems, no leaks, no kinking.

Only reason I'm replacing is because they ARE 16 years old.

Insights?

BTW: 16 years ago, when I redid the lines last, I bought an extra 12 meters of the 7mm fabric covered lines. I though the price was ridiculous when is was $4/meter! Thought I'd have enough for the next time. Guess what - it's rotted! Mr. Smart Guy loses again. Buy it when you need it & it's fresh.
Bleyseng
You can use short pieces of rubber fuel line but it tends to sit out straight banging into the engine shelf. If you force it up like the 90 elbows yes, it kinks shutting off the flow.

I am always looking to do things right as the cheapest cost....
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 4 2007, 11:36 AM) *

You can use short pieces of rubber fuel line but it tends to sit out straight banging into the engine shelf. If you force it up like the 90 elbows yes, it kinks shutting off the flow.

I am always looking to do things right as the cheapest cost....

OK, we're talking about very short/inexpensive pieces of straight fuel hose. My order is placed for 6 meters - fabric covered.

Now if ANYONE lets this out to my wife...... well, I won't be the only one to suffer. here's what I'll do. She has a curling iron that is 3/4inch she almost never uses. See where I'm going here? I think it'll work, for pennies on the dollar.

I'll make my own elbows! Will follow up.
Pat
Bleyseng
I ordered the $3 BMW ones....8 of em.

You want to start a fire don't you!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 5 2007, 10:25 PM) *

I like fire! Fire makes me feel so..... Kidding!!!!

Geoff, tell us more about the BMW ones - new to me, at least. Price is sure right.

Only place I want fire is in my fireplace - especially tonight (-15WCF).
Pat

MrKona
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 6 2007, 06:20 PM) *

Geoff, tell us more about the BMW ones - new to me, at least. Price is sure right.

Pat

Hi Pat,

I installed the BMW elbows (See pictures and web link for supplier in an earlier post). They fit great! clap56.gif

- Bryan
Bleyseng
mad.gif mine haven't shown up yet.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(MrKona @ Mar 6 2007, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 6 2007, 06:20 PM) *

Pat

Hi Pat,

I installed the BMW elbows (See pictures and web link for supplier in an earlier post). They fit great! clap56.gif

- Bryan

Bryan - they look great!

But...... and I know most of you disagree with me, I want fabric covrered!

My 914's sole purpose is hardcore concours, so they have to be fabric covered. Yeah, Iknow, "they won't last as long", "they suck up juices from the battery". My batteries have never "juiced" my lines. Don't know why, because I aut-x'd the car for years. The lines I'm replacing are 16 years old (~4,000 miles) and I'm replacing them, not because of leaks, but because they are 16 years old. Worked OK & that's why I'm staying with fabric covered.

Many of you guys have tried to get me to change. I appreciate your concerns. I'm sticking with the originals until they are not available from any source.

Now, with that in mind, I'll let you know how things work out with the curling iron approach to elbows.
Pat

Yes, I AM a hardnose!
Bleyseng
So again Pat, why do they have tobe fabric covered as the Factory Recall campaign installed rubber covered hose and 90' injector elbows? It seems like you actually would be docked points for being incorrect for having fabric covered hoses and non 90' injector hose.

Sounds like you are creating something that isn't correct.

popcorn[1].gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
I think Pat is trying to make a 1972 914 "time capsule". biggrin.gif
jk76.914
Pat, how are you reproducing that crimp-on clamp that came from the factory? I think that if you have to use a standard clamp, that the smooth hose is MORE original! Jim
Bleyseng
you can get those crimp clamps if you want to be "as delivered" but I don't think its worth the hassle.
jk76.914
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 8 2007, 02:06 PM) *

you can get those crimp clamps if you want to be "as delivered" but I don't think its worth the hassle.

Mine were different. Maybe because it's a '76? The photo below shows the same type crimp mine had, but not on a 914 injector.....

Jim

Click to view attachment
Bleyseng
Thats only at the injector supplied by Bosch. The pic I posted is for the fuel lines.
jk76.914
Oh. I get it. I'm still wondering how Pat is going to reproduce that big honkin clamp at the injector!
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 7 2007, 10:17 PM) *

So again Pat, why do they have tobe fabric covered as the Factory Recall campaign installed rubber covered hose and 90' injector elbows? It seems like you actually would be docked points for being incorrect for having fabric covered hoses and non 90' injector hose.

Sounds like you are creating something that isn't correct.

popcorn[1].gif

OK....allright....I give (slightly). I will NOT use fabric covered hose - for the injectors. OK? But, I will TRY to bend my own. Why? Because I want to & have nothing to lose. They don't work - fine. But, someone molds them to the 90 degree elbow. Why can't I? We'll see.

But you've convinced me to "alter" my thoughts a little. Will I put that stupid, hacked up Audi battery cover back on? No way! I'll use the original (provided it fits on whatever battery I have to use).

ALL the rest of the lines will be fabric covered. They look period. And...I like them, so there! PPPFFFBBBBTT!

You guys know I'm kidding (about PPPFFFBBBTT). I appreciate all of your input, wrong as it may be.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 8 2007, 11:07 AM) *

I think Pat is trying to make a 1972 914 "time capsule". biggrin.gif

Pualie, Paulie, Paulie!

I didn't make the time capsule. The Germans did. I'm only trying to keep it from being ruined (or, as they say here in Philly - "roont").

You're not rying to make a 1970 time capsule?

Just trying to keep it the way it has been since I got it in late summer of 1972. Yeah, I'm anal about it - for this 914! Wait 'till the next one - 180 degrees away!

Already have it planned. Soon as the '73 911T is gone, I'm on the hunt for a serious west coast tub. I'll probably be banned from this forum.

But....the '72 will remain a "time capsule".

BTW...they SAY that you can't turbo a 914. Hint.
Pat w00t.gif
Bleyseng
I knock off a few points "if" I were judging your car.... bootyshake.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 8 2007, 11:04 PM) *

I knock off a few points "if" I were judging your car.... bootyshake.gif

How can you knock off points for something displayed as "as delivered"?

Early 911E's were delivered with hydropneumatic struts. They were a nightmare. Yes, it was regarded as an acceptable replacement if they were changed to conventional struts, but no points can be deducted if they weren't - because it's "as delivered".

Other issues come to mind, such things as Lucas electrics in an early Brit car, but my point remains this - a purist concours car is one displayed as closely to "as delivered" status. These cars remain as mileposts for those that followed, and should be kept as original as possible. Yep, I've had to make a couple of adjustments to a couple of things through the years, because of parts inavailabilty, but I try to keep my '72 as it was. If the original parts are still available, I'll use them regardless of cost.

My 914 has had less than 20 thousand miles put on it in the last 33 years. I watch over it like it was my child. I'm not going to jeopardize it in any way. Safety checks are ongoing, as always.

So, gig me if you wish for not having "contemporary" fuel lines. But, I'll protest & bet I win.

No malcontent meant. Opinion of the writer only.

Pat
Bleyseng
Here are the OEM fabric injectors for a 2.0L and a pic of the Recall formed injector hose just for you Pat.
Notice how the OEM injectors are formed too! The rubber replacement hose also has the proper Porsche recall clamp.

IMHO its either with the Bosch supplied fabric hose (yuck) or the recall formed elbow.

I am a pain in the ass aren't I? idea.gif
Porsche Rescue
Back to an earlier unanswered question: How do you duplicate the crimped connection to the injector?
Bleyseng
you can't that I know of. There is a way to do the crimps on the fuel line thou.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 9 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Here are the OEM fabric injectors for a 2.0L and a pic of the Recall formed injector hose just for you Pat.
Notice how the OEM injectors are formed too! The rubber replacement hose also has the proper Porsche recall clamp.

IMHO its either with the Bosch supplied fabric hose (yuck) or the recall formed elbow.

Nope, sorry, not a PIA. Remember, this is a forum - all place for all ideas to be put forth. In fact, I've gotten a lot from your postings!

And, just to show that I'm only 99.9995% anal about this thing, you've convinced me to go with the elbows (already have the clamps, from BusDepot). Now, with that in mind, someone (maybe you) said there was a (shudder!) BMW source el cheapo for these things. True?

But, I'm still going with fabric-covered for the rest.
Pat
Porsche Rescue
Here you go Pat

jk76.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 10 2007, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 9 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Nope, sorry, not a PIA. Remember, this is a forum - all place for all ideas to be put forth. In fact, I've gotten a lot from your postings!

And, just to show that I'm only 99.9995% anal about this thing, you've convinced me to go with the elbows (already have the clamps, from BusDepot). Now, with that in mind, someone (maybe you) said there was a (shudder!) BMW source el cheapo for these things. True?

But, I'm still going with fabric-covered for the rest.
Pat

You know, if money's no object, you can get the original (as it left the factory) by buying new fuel injectors. Every one I've ever seen come with the braided elbow hoses already clamped to the injector with the big momma clamps....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.