Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front brake cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DonTraver
Found these ducts last weekend. I was thinking they might work to give better front rotor cooling. Fit up was pretty easy. So since I'm no expert, what do you think of these.

This is just a temp fit up, but it looks like it would be pretty easy to make permanent.

Don
SLITS
The duct must be clear of the front air dam so they recieve clean air to work effectively. Can't tell their position from the image.

2ndly .... the discharge of the duct should be aimed at the caliper and the racers make hats to accomplish it.
DonTraver
Actually the position places it below the front valance, so the air flow looks pretty clean.

Aim it at the caliper? I always thought (trouble) that it was best to blow more air into the center of the vented caliper. That that was the way the rotor cooled itself, draws air into the center and out thru the vent slots on the edge of the rotor.

Thanks, Don

I was thinking of bringing them to the BBQ this weekend before mounting so youse guys can take a look at them.

Later, Don
SLITS
Bring 'em 'cause I can think of other uses for them .... ducting air to a trunk floor mounted oil cooler biggrin.gif

As far as where the air is directed, the rotor is made to dissapate heat (hence the venting), the caliper will hold heat and boil the brake fluid with resultant loss of brakes. Cooling the caliper (where heat is generated) is most effective.

Chris Pincetich
DOn - did you see the pics from RacerChris?
Tin-can lookin end that used the brake pad pins (I think) to mount the device on the caliper itself which chaneled the air right down the middle of the caliper. Air to both sides = less apt to warp rotor. On caliper = cools everthing, not just rotor. I'm just regurgitating what I read....they look very gud compared to others out there but DO need some basic fab work to make. Good luck! beerchug.gif
DonTraver
Ok, a housing around the caliper probably discharging down. Only problem I can see with that is tech at autocross and time trials. Brake pad thickness is always checked. Gonna have to give this some thought, we're in trouble now, lol.

Anyone got a pics of it, thanks

Later, Don
TimT
First off those wont last long at all.. I had similar cooling ducts mounted on the a-arm of one of my 911s years ago.. They will get ripped off

Second its fine to cool the center of the disc... cool disc=cool caliper The disc is where the heat is stored in the brakes... keep the disc cool, the caliper will stay cool.

this type hat works tres fine

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.