Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Think this is a good deal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pbanders
Check out this Boxster S.

It's nearby, I can check it out in person, and of course, if I like it, I'll get it inspected before I buy. Seems pretty cheap to me. Am I missing something here?
pbanders
This one is even cheaper and looks essentially identical except for color.

Rouser
It seems the BIGGEST thing to absolutely look out for is the RMS issue. That's about the major talking point at about every 986/Boxster site I've visited.

Other than that, the "S" is the way to go, unless you want to wind up S-ing a base Boxster and than asking how to get more steam outta the 2.7. You'll prefer having those thoughts with a 3.2L.
Brew
I think the RMS issue was resolved before the 2002MY, but do some research just to be sure...

That being said, I dont think either one is a "great" deal, but maybe a little better than average. It being in your back yard is a huge plus, in my book.
nomore9one4
I have a weakness for silver biggrin.gif
drew365
I thought the base Boxster is a 2.5 and the S is a 2.7. Am I wrong about that?
Eric Taylor
They changed the base to a 2.7 and when the S came out in 2000 I believe. The S is a 3.2. I believe the RMS issue was just with the 2.5 so you chould be in the clear. I say go for the silver one. It looks like it's got upgraded headlights. I also have a weakness for silver.
Eric
pbanders
Thanks, I'm going to try to check them out this week.
PinetreePorsche
And if you could strip 600 pounds out of one, you'd almost have a souped-up 914!
cobra94563
QUOTE(Brew @ Feb 6 2007, 05:13 PM) *

That being said, I dont think either one is a "great" deal, but maybe a little better than average. It being in your back yard is a huge plus, in my book.

Ditto.
Pretty good if you're in the market. If you want to be patient, you may find better. I've seen a couple in the price range with lower mileage.
70Sixter
One other thought. The 03 has a glass rear window. Might be worth it even if you have to pay more or wait longer.

RMS can be problem with any Boxster or 911. The latest fix is a new seal used in the Cayenne. I do not think it is a high percentage problem, but is is a problem to those that experience it.

To those of us used to balanced cars with low polar moments of inertia it is a very satisfying car.
brp914
To those of us used to balanced cars with low polar moments of inertia it is a very satisfying car.

Are you saying you like the handling of a boxster more, due to its higher polar inertial moment vs 914? I test drove a boxster, not really enough to get a feel for it.

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
Brad:
I vote for the silver one also. I like it so much thet if you send it here I wiil

give it a complete shake down. And return it to you in a yr. or two. Dave slap.gif
pbanders
Drove a 2002 regular Boxster with Tip yesterday. Very nice car, but I was really surprised how gutless it was. I hope to drive a manual this weekend, I'm expecting it will be a bit better.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(pbanders @ Feb 9 2007, 07:53 AM) *

Drove a 2002 regular Boxster with Tip yesterday. Very nice car, but I was really surprised how gutless it was. I hope to drive a manual this weekend, I'm expecting it will be a bit better.

agree.gif

drove my Brother in Law's 98 alot in Suriname and they aren't that fast. The rear plastic (fogged) window is a pain too. When you are used to a light nimble car and then drive one of these midengined whales...not want more power. A "S" with a manual should be more fun. Working AC would be nice in AZ too, Paul.

My brother in laws solution was to look at a 2002 Turbo which was way more fun to drive! driving.gif He could've bought it but it was pretty hot even for Suriname as the guy selling it was obviously a drug dealer.
3d914
Brad,

I vote for the BLUE one. Too many silver & black cars on the road. Could be worse though - could be silver with red interior (Ford colors).

I saw a very nice Box at Don Jacksons Porsche the other day. Although white is not my favorite car color, the deep tan leather interior really set the car off nicely.

I could do a Box-S for a cruiser some day. I want to try the tail-dragers first though.

Enjoy & keep us posted.
pbanders
QUOTE(3d914 @ Feb 9 2007, 10:27 AM) *

Brad,

I vote for the BLUE one. Too many silver & black cars on the road. Could be worse though - could be silver with red interior (Ford colors).

I saw a very nice Box at Don Jacksons Porsche the other day. Although white is not my favorite car color, the deep tan leather interior really set the car off nicely.

I could do a Box-S for a cruiser some day. I want to try the tail-dragers first though.

Enjoy & keep us posted.

I will. My wife generally has no interest in cars, but when I told her I was considering getting a Boxster, and that she could drive it while she wasn't toting the kids around in the minivan, she got very interested. The 914 never got that reaction...
Scott Carlberg
**SLIGHT HI-JACK**
FVD 3.8L Conversion Into Member's 986 Boxster! www.fvd.us

I thought some of you might find this conversion interesting.

A customer at FVD in Florida sent his 2002 986 Boxster S to have something that has not yet been done.
Putting a 3.8L 997S motor into the newer cars (987 and Cayman) is no problem, essentially plug and play with little to no fabrication necessary. This car was a whole new challenge! A good amount of fabrication and customization went into putting this new motor into a previous generation car! Well the car went out for the first official road test yesterday and we are confident the car is getting near completion!

Conversion Specs:
-Porsche 3.8L 997S Motor
-Bosch 7.8MN Motronic Conversion With FVD Programing
-FVD Sport Headers
-FVD Sport Catalytics
-FVD Sport Clutch & Light Weight Flywheel Setup

As I said the car is now in the road test stage and we hope to get it to the dyno by the end of the week (if not early next week). I was lucky enough to go on the first road test with the tech and let me tell you this thing is an animal! Dave spec'd this car WITHOUT PSM (Traction Control) so you can imagine what a handful this car is! This might be one of the most fun cars I have been in with the handling of the boxster and the power of a 997S! One of the best parts of this car is that the outside is completely stock (even has amber side markers!). This car is the definition of a sleeper! Keep in mind all this with priliminary testing programing (not even final which will be more power!).

I will have dynos and hopefully a little video in the next couple weeks for you guys, but for now here are some photos of the "almost" finished product:

Pics:
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.