Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Fuel Pump Mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Does anyone have a picture of the location of the front fuel pump mount?
I have the plate and mounting bracket but now have cut the hole to mount it in the front.
Tx
ejm
I posted a couple of pics in this thread
tracks914
Perfect, that is just what I am looking for.
Tx
sean_v8_914
fvchgf
boxstr
Because of the difficulty to get to the filter or the pump, I would make a strong argument for moving it to the front trunk, the same as you see in the pic supplied by Aaron. Much cleaner and much easier to access. If you need to change the filter you won't have to remove the fuel tank, unless you like doing that kind of thing.
You can use the fuel pump mount insulators that are used on the original location pumps, or a radiator mounting insulator off of a VW Rabbit.
CCL
rhodyguy
in an earlier chassis, how does one adapt the wiring utilizing the engine relay board?

k
sean_v8_914
the filter is changed through the hole under teh car. the extra fuel line allows me to easily pull it out of the body hole. I ran the wire thru teh tunnel. pulling the tank takes 10 minutes on a bad day. I should have used the isolation mounts to reduce noise
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 7 2007, 10:24 AM) *

in an earlier chassis, how does one adapt the wiring utilizing the engine relay board?

k

I took the wire where it goes to the fuel pump and pulled it back to the point where the harness turns into the tunnel. Then I fed it through into the tunnel. Once in the tunnel with the rest of the wires, I spliced in a new wire the same gauge as the existing wire. Then I ran it forward, following the harness routing. With the tank out, I was able to add the wire under the tank at the same location as the master cylinder wiring. The ground was run as a brown wire back to the ground point by the relay board.

When I move a fuel pump, I put it on the left side of the steering shaft. The reason for this is I assume the engineers who decided to move the pump up front for 75 knew a little bit more that I do about how to do it right. biggrin.gif

Then I put in a carburetor fuel filter on the SUCTION side of the pump. This catches the shit that the filter screen in the tank is supposed to catch and protects the pump. The filter here doesn't have to be a high pressure, fine mesh filter, because it is only protecting the pump. I then put another filter in the engine compartment on the pressure line going to the fuel rail. This protects the injectors from getting the fine particles that don't get filtered by the first filter. The second filter needs changing more often, so I made it easily accessable.

I also run 2 hard lines from the pump back to the lower right corner of the fuel tank well. One has a Y fitting in the end closest to the pump so I can feed the return line back in, and the other has the filter on it. Everything is tied down with padded line clamps.

Here's a picture of my fuel pump install. This was taken before I mounted the pump.

IPB Image

iamchappy
I know some people mount them on the crossmember.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Feb 7 2007, 01:34 PM) *

I know some people mount them on the crossmember.

I don't like that. Too close to road hazards for me.

John
Didn't the GT cars mount them inside the front trunk?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.