Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Sat in the Caymen at an Auto Show
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yahthatsright
I grew up around 914's, 911's, and 928's. My dad road raced a few 914s in the late 80s and early 90s so I had a chance to see alot of gorgeous cars. I finally got to sit in a caymen the other day though... There is something about that car. We currently own a 74 914 1.8, the long term goal being a six, big brembos, and maybe steel flares. Despite all the fun stuff ahead for the 14, I think my five year plan has to be a Caymen. I think its almost fitting thought that porsche still did not make a flag ship out of the caymen. It rewards the person who won't buy the cheaper boxster just to own a porsche, and doesn't buy a 911 just for the status. Theres no real point to my blurb here, it would be cool to hear fromt those of you who own this car and can give soem feed back.
Brew
QUOTE(yahthatsright @ Feb 6 2007, 06:27 PM) *

It rewards the person who won't buy the cheaper boxster just to own a porsche,

WTF.gif Not all of us who want/have a Boxster do so just because it's "cheap". alfred.gif
ChrisPaegelow
I agree man those things look pretty cool.
I think if I had the money to buy a new porsche a Cayman S would be my pick. thumb3d.gif
drgchapman
QUOTE(yahthatsright @ Feb 6 2007, 05:27 PM) *

I grew up around 914's, 911's, and 928's. My dad road raced a few 914s in the late 80s and early 90s so I had a chance to see alot of gorgeous cars. I finally got to sit in a caymen the other day though... There is something about that car. We currently own a 74 914 1.8, the long term goal being a six, big brembos, and maybe steel flares. Despite all the fun stuff ahead for the 14, I think my five year plan has to be a Caymen. I think its almost fitting thought that porsche still did not make a flag ship out of the caymen. It rewards the person who won't buy the cheaper boxster just to own a porsche, and doesn't buy a 911 just for the status. Theres no real point to my blurb here, it would be cool to hear fromt those of you who own this car and can give soem feed back.

Picking one up in June in Stuttgart. Fairly base "s" model with custom color and interior (wife's pick, actually her car), 6 speed, headlight upgrade. I'll let you know how it goes. Gonna try to run a Euro track somewhere, maybe the "Ring". We both got a chance to a/x one at the Portland Parade this last year with tiptronic and a lot of push dialed into the set up. Still good fun. Neat car.
DonTraver
I drove a Cayman S last year on the Autobahn Adventures Tour, love it.

I did get her up to 160+ for a short while. Best sustained speed was 140-150 mph for about 2 hours from the Ruf factory to Lindau on the Autobahn.

The Ring isn't that far from Stuttgart, I'd say less that 2 hours once you get out of Stuttgart and a good part of it Unlimited. IIRC the Ring opens up around 5pm for anyone to run and costs 60 Euros for 4 laps (that's about 60 miles and 700 corners) Well worth the trip. There's a gift shop up by the track, but there's also a gas station as you come into the Ring area that has better prices on gifts, suveniors (sp) and shirts.

I'm going again later this year, the Ring is addictive.

Later, Don
anthony
In 5 years, when you can get a Cayman for $25K I'll be interested. The only thing I don't like about the Boxster is that it's a convertible.
KaptKaos
I see the Cayman as similar to the old BMW Z3 coupe or Z4 coupe. Yes, its a better car than the open version, but its appeal is limited since it is a closed car. The fact that the Cayman is more expensive will hurt it's sales.
Eric Taylor
I agree that converts have a better appeal. The z3 compare is kinda harsh. That z3 coupe was butt ugly, and the cayman is really good looking. I think it's got a lot of potential. I sat in one and it just feels right. The roof comes down right behind your head and makes the cockpit feel just right. It's like your lock in. I want one smile.gif
Eric
groot
I finally sat in a Cayman just a few weeks ago at the Detroit Auto Show. I was really impressed and surprised by the ergonomics. They were better than I remember the Boxster and even better than the new Miata.
Luke
My buddy's had one for almost a year and loves it ... Fastest ride I've ever had thru Mulholland Drive ....

He is now down in Florida and bettering a Carrera GT on the Auto-X circuit by 1 second with the air on ...
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(anthony @ Feb 7 2007, 07:56 PM) *

In 5 years, when you can get a Cayman for $25K I'll be interested. The only thing I don't like about the Boxster is that it's a convertible.

I prefer the Boxster because it's a convertible laugh.gif

However, the fit of the Caymen felt undeniably GREAT!
IPB Image
nebreitling
very cool, quick car, but i was actually underwhelmed with its performance on the track. especially after it caught on fire.
Eric Taylor
Toby - That's the exact same cayman I sat in. Didn't think to much of the auto show other wise though. New cars are boring - except the R8 GAWD that was pretty.
Eric
Air_Cooled_Nut
The Ferrari F40 was my fav:
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=71

Yes, most new cars are boring...made for the masses looking for either "prestige" or "A to B" transportation. However, it was nice to compare the VW Passat Variant w/BMW's in one location. Got a growing family...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.