Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping a 914-6 cool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Justinp71
I've have a 75 2.7L six in my 914 and I am wonder what a good method is for monitoring oil and cylinder head temp. Do you guys normally have a gauge on both? Aftermarket gauges or factory?

I don't have a secondary cooler, does anyone else have a 2.7 w/ a secondary cooler and did solve any problems?
pete-stevers
i am in the middle of a gauge instal right now...i am putting a 911 gauge in where the gas gauge is and replacing the three in the center console with a gas, head temp and alt gauge from vdo....the new gauges are a tad bit smaller but can be spaced with a pbc pipe from the hardware store....and then you can use the original gauge rubbers...wiring behind the dash is gone be fun...but i will get it figured i may be putting a oil pressure alarm in as well....
steve
Eric_Shea
agree.gif I like the 911 combo gauge in the left hand pod and a fuel gauge in the center console. I'm mounting my fuel gauge GT style where the radio used to be.

P.S. Be careful with the pressure alarm. 911 engines can run into "alarming" pressures when at idle
pete-stevers
and.... a secondary cooler....a very good idea....heat is the number one killer of these engines...so get a good cooler and run your lines up to the front with a good thremostat...lots of threads on this topic
burton73
The builder of my cars street race work done back in the mid 70s was Peter Daws at that time he was working at Dick Trottmans, put in the gauges the way you see them. People have said that who ever would get this car (That was me) would need to change it out. I think they are wrong as that may be from a 914-6 stock purest thinking. It is there and it will be easer for me to restore the units.

Bob Burton
ClayPerrine
Easier to install a Getty design dash.....

Downunderman
I put a mechanical temp guage in the front cooler on the hot side because the electric ones are inaccurate.
Eric_Shea
On many of the factory GT's they put the fuel gauge where Bob's combo gauge is.

That makes more sense to me as I never saw a need for the oil level gauge. It only works at idle when you're on level ground.
Justinp71
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 7 2007, 11:39 AM) *

The builder of my cars street race work done back in the mid 70s was Peter Daws at that time he was working at Dick Trottmans, put in the gauges the way you see them. People have said that who ever would get this car (That was me) would need to change it out. I think they are wrong as that may be from a 914-6 stock purest thinking. It is there and it will be easer for me to restore the units.

Bob Burton

Thanks.. I didn't know that the 911 gauge would fit... I will have to look for one of thoughs.
Racing916
Burton73,

Do you have anymore pictures of your car. I know Peter he built my engine and I would love to see any tricks he put on your car.

Thanks
Steve
Allan
I run a 2.7 with rs pistons, solex cams, 10 to 1 compression, stock cooler, and a gt engine lid. My oil temp stays right around 210 in town and on the freeway. Ran it at Buttonwillow in August with air temps at 95 degrees and it stayed around 215 with me driving it. I let Brad Roberts have at it for a few laps and he was able to get it up to 245... blink.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Feb 7 2007, 04:14 PM) *

Burton73,

Do you have anymore pictures of your car. I know Peter he built my engine and I would love to see any tricks he put on your car.

Thanks
Steve

Steve,

There where a lot of cool things. One of them is an Aircraft flush mount door to put the fuel in right front of windshield. The car has the body seams welded. I will take pictures later. At the time the items that where put on where very trick. It has a factory gt oil cooler with a factory metal shroud. This car sat in a garage in California close to me since 1984. I have a lot of work to do to get her back on the road the way I want.

Bob
Racing916
is your car brown, and was it recently on ebay? Peter was talking about this car about a month or two ago?

Thanks
Steve
burton73
QUOTE(Racing916 @ Feb 7 2007, 07:32 PM) *

is your car brown, and was it recently on ebay? Peter was talking about this car about a month or two ago?

Thanks
Steve

That is my car Steve. It is going to a semi GT. It got the hot 2.5 S that Peter built that I will need to do a reseal or full rebuild. I will know soon. It color is going to be that of the 916 in San Fran. that has been for sale. Full leather int as well same color cork. It should be nice.

Bob
burton73
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 7 2007, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Racing916 @ Feb 7 2007, 07:32 PM) *

Thanks
Steve

That is my car Steve. It is going to a semi GT. It got the hot 2.5 S that Peter built that I will need to do a reseal or full rebuild. I will know soon. It color is going to be that of the 916 in San Fran. that has been for sale. Full leather int as well same color cork. It should be nice.

Bob

This is my car now. The body show and mechanic is next door to my factory. I can work on it at my place and roll it over over there. It should work out well.

BobClick to view attachment
Racing916
Very Cool! Keep posting pictures I would love to see the progress

Steve
Johny Blackstain
This is my car now. The body show and mechanic is next door to my factory. I can work on it at my place and roll it over over there. It should work out well.

BobClick to view attachment

smilie_pokal.gif I'm sorry I bid against you on eBay. Saw your car for sale & was fascinated, ie. the gas door, the cooler, seam welded, etc... Again I apologize & am glad she wound up in a good home. thumb3d.gif I find it amusing that the 6 I wound up w/ was advertised here & not on eBay. From what I've read I think your plans for her are excellent. Will you flare her? Also, does she have any cancer & if so, how bad? cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
French tail lites...cool.

Nice car soon as you ditch the rims...IMHO. alfred.gif
Eric_Shea
It leaks bad Bob... I'm sure you'll need to seal up that engine. biggrin.gif
burton73
I joined this group just after I got the car as Twisted came out of the clear blue and said to move over to this site if I wanted to meet some cool helpful people. What I found was a group buy on steel flairs from AA so I got a set. This set in motion what this car would be. I am putting the chrome 7 and 9s from my Cab Carrera on this car and I just got a set of 7 and 8s that I will refinish and put on this car. Front bumper will be chrome with cutout for factory gt oil cooler and valance to match. Eric will do the break work on the early S calipers. The fronts are drilled. The backs are stock and will go to Erick’s V-kit. With vented rotors. I can find NO rust on the car so far. # people came out to look at the car at the guys home and found none. I will keep looking and if any it will be fixed. Johny, as far as bidding and bring the price up. Thanks for stopping. There where people from all over that wanted the car but as it was not running it stopped at $15,600. So that saved me $2,000. The PO was close and delivered it to me and I do not mind rebuilding the motor if I need to. It has aluminum cases and all the right elements to make a great car. I have been in plastics manufacturing for 32 years. At this point this will not be a financial burden to me and I will enjoy the project. It is 20 years ago that I built my last 6-cylinder Porsche engine.

Bob
Eric_Shea
welcome.png

(beware of the twisted one!) w00t.gif
burton73
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 8 2007, 10:22 AM) *

welcome.png

(beware of the twisted one!) w00t.gif

Eric,

THANKS: I have been doing 914s when I was in my 20s that was a 30 years ago and there where not as many groups at that time. The circle was small as far as what you could see. My friend and skiing buddy Galen Biker build cars and his dad Harry Bieker of Bieker Engineering did the machine work. We would go to dinner and go over stuff all the time. The web has opened the world up to us now. Back then people would get together at POC events. Things are so different now. Much better. I have to thank the Twisted Bro for the move from the Pelican board or I would of still of been looking and waiting and missed out on the AA flair deal. Pelican has sold me parts and I get them when the price is right. They are close and fast.

Bob
Eric_Shea
Harry did my MFI... excellent work and excellent guy.

PP is a great board and a great bunch of guys as well.

I'm glad you found Clayton and us here as well... with all the resources at your finger tips you won't have to spend so much on dinner anymore. wink.gif
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 8 2007, 11:52 AM) *

I joined this group just after I got the car as Twisted came out of the clear blue and said to move over to this site if I wanted to meet some cool helpful people. What I found was a group buy on steel flairs from AA so I got a set. This set in motion what this car would be. I am putting the chrome 7 and 9s from my Cab Carrera on this car and I just got a set of 7 and 8s that I will refinish and put on this car. Front bumper will be chrome with cutout for factory gt oil cooler and valance to match. Eric will do the break work on the early S calipers. The fronts are drilled. The backs are stock and will go to Erick’s V-kit. With vented rotors. I can find NO rust on the car so far. # people came out to look at the car at the guys home and found none. I will keep looking and if any it will be fixed. Johny, as far as bidding and bring the price up. Thanks for stopping. There where people from all over that wanted the car but as it was not running it stopped at $15,600. So that saved me $2,000. The PO was close and delivered it to me and I do not mind rebuilding the motor if I need to. It has aluminum cases and all the right elements to make a great car. I have been in plastics manufacturing for 32 years. At this point this will not be a financial burden to me and I will enjoy the project. It is 20 years ago that I built my last 6-cylinder Porsche engine.

Bob

I'm glad I stopped & did'nt drive the price up either. The fact that it did'nt run & I'm on the other side of the country did it. I think she's going to be very pretty when you're done. I do however have a great interest in your interior plans- I want the 916 cork leather interior as well & am curious as to what our mutual taste will cost. Also wondering about your carpet decision to go along w/ that new interior. My new six has some rust in the front trunk that must be addressed while I install a GT oil cooler kit I got from AA. I have a very torquie 2.7 behind me & being it's winter here & the car is black she's running like a top. My guess is that I'll climb way above 180 this summer in a 2.7l, black car w/out a cooler up front. cool_shades.gif
seanery
Cool story, (a beated) Welcome Bob! Can't wait to check out the progess!
burton73
Everything was going along great with the clean up. Removed the interior scraped the bottom and just when I thought I was going to get away with an original 6 with no serious rust we find rust in the pan. In the passenger seat area. Ordered new pans. There is no more serious rust any ware. Replace the pan and fix the clutch tube that has pulled out and the body will be in great shape as far as rust goes. All in all I am lucky. Five months and things move slowly. Weld the flares and sand the paint down to primer.

Bob
burton73
Some pictures for anyone that cares. It seams that the old broken undercoating just grabs the water and holds it there in the groves on the bottom. That and scraped bottoms. The clutch tube had a D washer welder on the end and a U clamp 1/2 the way back to fix the broken clutch tube problem. (The PO did not tell me) With the new pan the clutch tube will get the proper fix that will be better than the factories original, it least it will last longer.

Bob
Dr Evil
Here is a pic of my gauges. The left gauge is the oil P and T gauge from the car the engine came out of (2.7L), the center gauges are Fuel, CHT, and volts.

I do not have a cooler in my car, but I have yet to drive it to the point of being realy warmed up dry.gif
burton73
Mike,

What is the story on you dash? Is it leather or can they be done in leather say perfect. The stitching looks good in that picture but what does the sit in the car look say? If this is the 2.7L car in surgery please tell me what is the surgery is for? How is school.
Thanks,

Bob
RickS
Bob,

Nice to see another person in the 50+ crowd enjoying 914s. I bought this gauge from a guy off this site who sells them for around $300. Has oil temp, oil pressure, volts, and gas. Looks very much like the 916 GT gauge except the words are spelled out rather than symbols. He did a quality job. Only thing missing is a low oil flashing light, but that can be easily added to the dash.

Rick
Justinp71
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 4 2007, 02:07 PM) *

Here is a pic of my gauges. The left gauge is the oil P and T gauge from the car the engine came out of (2.7L), the center gauges are Fuel, CHT, and volts.

I do not have a cooler in my car, but I have yet to drive it to the point of being realy warmed up dry.gif

Where did you get your leather dash smile.gif and the silver edged gauges?
Dr Evil
Hey Bob and Justin,
The dash is recovered in vinyl. I used to sell these two years ago when I lived in San Diego and had a good relationship with a ship in TJ. They look great, many here have them installed. The guages were custom done by me. The big ones use brushed aluminum bezels that are easily available (now through spunone for WAY less than everywhere else). The little ones are VDO gauges that I bought and then put the bezels from Autometer gauges onto. I was intent on getting the look that I wanted so I lurked on ebay looking for broken autometer gauges until I found 3 of them and took their bezlez. The fule gauge I got from eith PA speedo or Hollywood speedo and it was only a few $ more to have it calibrated to our gas tanks.

The car has been in surgery due to an ignition problem (dizzy was worn) and a fuel problem (DAPO had it all goofed up). I had to rebuild the CIS system and then get it to a base line so I can tune it (not a commonly done thing wiht CIS, not much info). The ignition system was switched to a megajolt unit that I built, but I ran out of time to tweek with it and dont have the mental reserve to figure out the problems with me being in med school and all. I have recently resolved to go back to the stock ignition as it is easy and will allow me to focus on one problem (CIS) at a time. Once this is resolved I can focus on the other probs that will likely come up: allignment, suspention, what ever else I have not thought of.
IronHillRestorations
I like the standard oil temp/pressure gauge and then getting a 911 Turbo tach with the boost gauge and having the boost gauge converted to a fuel gauge and the tach converted to the correct internals for your engine, and delete the center console.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.