Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine mount bar question......EASY!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
army dude
Ok, here is an easy question idea.gif ....Is there an engine mount bar that is supposed to be only for side shift trannies?? WHY??? Well, my 74 w/ a v8 has a engine mount bar that doesn't have an opening/hole like another one I saw that was side shift. I do not remember any clearence issue while I was home driving it And I am not too concerened since I will be following other v8 guys and going with a 930 and cable shift soon. Nut, till then, what's up?? blink.gif huh.gif

No points awarded for incorrect or misremembered answers. Correct answer is worth 5 points.

OH, I forgot...I ain't got no pics, so I know this thread is basically worthless unless someone wants to go to Sarasota Florida and snap it for me. MY BAD!!

Ian in Iraq...Again
John
Yes. Because the engine mount bar (for a TIV engine) would be directly in the way of said sideshift shift rod. So there is a hole in the engine mount bar for the shift rod to go through.
army dude
So....... whoever did my v8 install just decided to do it "his" way I guess. OR.......did he not istall it because I have a v8 and it sits a little higher than other engines??

Ian in Iraq...Again
type47
i don't see how a "side shift" engine mount bar even applies to a V8 conversion.
army dude
Well, my po cut the mount bar about 18" from either end and then welded round tube to connect the two pieces. I was looking around the site and saw a bar with a hole in it and wondered if my po did something screwy. But, since I have decided to go with cable shift I won't worry so much bout it. I have no problems shifting and I won't fix it till its broken. Now I just have to find a 930 tranny. That will be fun!!

Ian in Iraq...Again
drive-ability
QUOTE(army dude @ Feb 7 2007, 07:29 AM) *

Well, my po cut the mount bar about 18" from either end and then welded round tube to connect the two pieces. I was looking around the site and saw a bar with a hole in it and wondered if my po did something screwy. But, since I have decided to go with cable shift I won't worry so much bout it. I have no problems shifting and I won't fix it till its broken. Now I just have to find a 930 tranny. That will be fun!!

Ian in Iraq...Again

Ian,
You may use a custom/homemade engine bar, but if your going with a 930 transmission I suggest using parts made which have a history of success. I have Renegade parts, adapter plate, engine bar to name a couple. The 930 shift rod is at the rear of the transmission (I'm sure you know this) and most people use a cable shifter system. You can get or make a "bar" type shifter but most say its not as good. Are you home for good?

IPB Image
army dude
I am not home yet, 44 days and a wake up till we leave. Once I get home I will be in a serious hunt for a930 tranny and definately will go with what has/is working with all the other installs. I know there are quite a few 930 users out there and hopefully we can get some sort of roll up on who is using it so we know who to go to for q&a. If they want. I am so looking forward to doing this and make sure it has NO bugs at all. I want to do it once and right.

Ian in Iraq...Again
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.