Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do you fit in here?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Bleyseng
Wondering who all looks in the forum....
So.Cal.914
Coming here is like dating a fat chick, it can be fun but you don't want your buds

to know. poke.gif Some good sh!t here.
Pat Garvey
I would have picked the first 3.
laugh.gif
SGB
I voted #2, but #4 applies as well. I really enjoy seeing the quality of workmanship on some of these cars. I find attributes about restoration really enlightening and motivating. An unrestored , original car seems more "collectable" to me than these amazing restorations, but that is just a personal preference because it helps justify the changes I've made to my car during it's rebuilding. I suppose that one could argue that any work performed by the dealer maintains "preservation" status, although my concept is more like "as delivered". Are there any cars in our group that meet that criteria?
Porsche Rescue
My '76 is definitely a "preservation" car, but not one of the exteme low mile examples. Has 80,000 miles and I am third owner after original buyer and then his daughter. I need to do some more detailing and then I will show it off with some pics. Only mods are Shelby alloy wheels (came from dealer on the new car, I am replacing with stock steel) and earlier 2.0 ss heat exchangers and muffler.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 7 2007, 04:35 PM) *

Wondering who all looks in the forum....

I did vote as number one , but 2 and 3 are also big on my screen.
New to the forum here, so no real set up yet, pics, etc.

We own a 74 2.0 in Sunflower....a very early 74 . It is serial # 00089 , built in August of 73. Pretty much a base 2.0 litre, totally rust free, no winters ever, having been sold new in Montana and now in N.D. The car had its first repaint by me in 95 after worrying over the few door dings and faded panels I could not bring back to O.E. Done by the best here locally and with all glass removed. And even tho it was not a rusty car, to bring the wavy panels into perfection , cost me a PILE of money. But worth it to save a dry , 68,000 mile car two owner.

It has the optional rear window defog , console, 5-Fuchs, and the light brown or tan interior. I know there were alot of yellow cars made, but what were the odds of this color combo ? My friend has the mate to this car, built a month later with a very dark reddish brown corduroy cloth interior with 21,000 actual, purchased from the original owner. Almost all other yellow cars seen are black inside.

Any enlightenment ? Thanks !
scotty b
I'm the ONE person that voted for #5 ? I'd hang here more often but you guys kinda scare me unsure.gif
Allan
QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 10 2007, 07:39 AM) *

I'm the ONE person that voted for #5 ?

Nah, I voted for #5 as well. I'm really not into the originality thing. I just want to make my car reflect my personal tastes. I like to look at showroom condition stock teeners but I would rather drive a tricked out /6 conversion... thumb3d.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
mrgreenjeans........ welcome.png

North Dakota, huh? How long is your season do drive a 914 on snow & salt free roads?........3-4 months av-943.gif
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 10 2007, 12:50 PM) *

North Dakota, huh? How long is your season do drive a 914 on snow & salt free roads?........3-4 months av-943.gif

Yes we do fail to have a snow free winter to enjoy our lovelies...... but that makes our cars up here all the more rare. Most disappeared to the ravages of the tin worm years ago. Sad.......even the galvanized more modern Porsches finally succumb and if driven year round, will die a premature death.

We normally get the opportunity to be on the road towards the last of April, after an early spring rain has cleansed the salt from the streets. Last fall, our local PCA club went on our final road trip around the third week in November. No salt had been laid down yet, but the road temps made for some very loose drving on the decreasing radius turns ! Saw lots of blue tire smoke , when one member brought his new Lotus, and when it came on cam at about 6500 in the bends, released all grip on the road surface ! Wheeeeee....... lots of blue haze Then the snows came and the beauties went to sleep for the winter.

BTW.......I know the area around your part of the world......and I think you have far more of the crystal liquid than we this year. It just stays a little colder here for a little longer.

Tell us about your car..........
mrgreenjeans
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 10 2007, 12:50 PM) *

On the scarcity of teeners in our part of the world..........in a population area of several hundred thousand and having a local Porsche dealership that sold ALOT of these new, we have within our local PCA club, a total of :

3- sixers----One is a factory steel flared M471
3- 2.0 litre fours
2- 1.8 litre fours
about 6 or 7 non club members with various states of distress projects
about 5 or 6 cars in yards or salvaged out behind garages

Maybe 20-25 cars total....should be way more , but they all got ate up and thrown away about 20 years ago. About the same time I started a vigorous pursuit to find the cleanest one available for sale at that time. Mine literally fell into my lap, after traveling around looking at cars to the west and south....right here in Fargo, by a driver passing thru and having trouble on the interstate, and bringing the car to the Porsche dealer's service bay.
Of the existing showable or drivable cars we know of......all the sixes are owned by one guy, and about 5 of the total are what one could call top flight Concours candidates. The rest.............?????? well there's always hope.....just not much of it. Most of our really great teeners were bought elsewhere and brought back here by true enthusiasts. There was just not any left here to choose from....except the silver 73 - 2.0 I know of that I'm not telling anyone about. He promised a sale to me and its sitting safely in a dry garage awaiting his decision to part with it. Hopefully the price will be realistic when its time to do the deal. Meanwhile, not even my buddies know where its at......they have just heard rumors of a car put away about 1980 and never seen again. Me ? I'm just playing it real dumb and not saying PEEP.

mrgreenjeans
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.