Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there anyone out there who doesn't experience vapor lock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jagalyn
I've had four 914 4 cylinder cars all with the fuel pump in the original position in the back and have never experience vapor lock but have just purchased a 74 two liter and am wondering whether to move the fuel pump up front or not.

Is there anyone out there that runs the fuel pump in the rear and doesn't experience vapor lock?

Thanks,
j.
TravisNeff
I have never had that issue with the fuel pump out back. However, I did move the pump up front on several of my cars just for good measure when I was replacing all of the fuel lines.
So.Cal.914
Nope, no vapor lock. Common temps here in the summer 120+. Carbs with

pump in stock location.
pbanders
I used to have vapor lock all the time when I had carbs ( low pressure )and I had my Facet pump mounted in the back. After I switched to FI ( high pressure ), I've never had vapor lock, and I live in Phoenix.
John
Are you asking because the car vapor locks?

When my car was stock, it would vapor lock in the hot summer heat.

I believe the real culprit was the heater flapper on that side dumping very hot air right in the fuel pump area. When the car would stop and was turned off, the fuel pump would heat soak and boil the gas (hence the vapor lock).

I first experienced vapor lock when I removed some jumper wires that the DAPO had installed to run the fuel pump any time the key was on. I removed the jumpers and had the problem in the hot summer. I replaced the jumper and the problem would go away for the most part.

I relocated the fuel pump to the front and then figured out that if I get rid of the heater flapper on the passenger side and cap off the ends, that side of the lower engine compartment stays much cooler.

I'm betting that the dumped heat was the real culpret. There should be no real problem with the fuel pump in the original position.
cantley914
Never had that problem.

Maybe because the engine is on the stand, parts for the car are stored on a shelf and the shell is getting body work done?

idea.gif

I was planning on putting everything back in it's original place. Hope I'm doing the right thing...

unsure.gif

Steph beer3.gif
jagalyn
QUOTE(John @ Feb 7 2007, 02:26 PM) *

Are you asking because the car vapor locks?

When my car was stock, it would vapor lock in the hot summer heat.

I believe the real culprit was the heater flapper on that side dumping very hot air right in the fuel pump area. When the car would stop and was turned off, the fuel pump would heat soak and boil the gas (hence the vapor lock).

I first experienced vapor lock when I removed some jumper wires that the DAPO had installed to run the fuel pump any time the key was on. I removed the jumpers and had the problem in the hot summer. I replaced the jumper and the problem would go away for the most part.

I relocated the fuel pump to the front and then figured out that if I get rid of the heater flapper on the passenger side and cap off the ends, that side of the lower engine compartment stays much cooler.

I'm betting that the dumped heat was the real culpret. There should be no real problem with the fuel pump in the original position.

The reason I'm asking is because I have the engine out right now. The PO had moved the fuel pump to the front but I don't like how he did it. I can easily move it back to the original position or do the relocate all over. I'm leaning towards the original position but was wondering if it happened more in one year of car or the other or in the south vs up hear in Minnesota, etc. I know in 73 on they installed the flappers on the bottom of the firewall to get better cooling but it sounds like vapor lock happens more or less when the car is sitting.
Dave_Darling
No problems for me so far! But then, I've only owned the car for ~15 years. Of which close to 1/3 was spent on jackstands... wink.gif

That said, I wouldn't mind having the pump relocated anyway.

--DD
SirAndy
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 7 2007, 12:47 PM) *

Is there anyone out there that runs the fuel pump in the rear and doesn't experience vapor lock?

'70 914 with both, a stock 1.7L motor and a warmed over 2056. pump in stock location in the rear. never had a single problem with vapor lock ...

bye1.gif Andy
aircooledboy
Stock '72 1.7, never happened one time. beerchug.gif
Hammy
Haven't had any trouble yet. Been through one summer.

Carbed 1.7
Johny Blackstain
I suffer from acute vapor lock in my 74. It's a stock D-jet 2.0 & the pump is in the stock position. Never happens except in summer... either trying to start right after you shut it off, (warmed up), or if you stall out in bumper to bumper traffic. At those times I've been lucky it was flat & blessed that I can push the car myself. You let it sit & cool for 10 or 15 & vroom, right back up. Then you avoid traffic like the plague & look for open road, where you can just air everything out & watch the temp gauge go down. I hesitate to re-locate it because of what she is. cool_shades.gif
snflupigus
i drove in az for over a year everyday and never had it. car had 140k when i got it and 155 when i took it apart a year later. never gave me a problem at all.

and my fuel pump was essentially hangin in there by the hoses alone (little did i know) - looked ok but one pull and the bolts were dust.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 7 2007, 04:47 PM) *

I've had four 914 4 cylinder cars all with the fuel pump in the original position in the back and have never experience vapor lock but have just purchased a 74 two liter and am wondering whether to move the fuel pump up front or not.

Thanks,
j.

We have a 74 stock 2.0 with all the right goodies in all their homes.....never a hitch anytime or any where.

Once a plugged fuel filter caused a little balkiness, but we have to run ethanol up here now, and other than my constant worries the alcohol will someday dislodge a slug of goo and give me grief, I have learned to live with my fingers crossed. And keep a spare fuel filter in the trunk.

Keep the faith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.