Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Where to buy a CVT?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alpha434
Where can I get one. Aftermarket? For a kit car...
Mueller
I couldn't imagine an aftermarket one being affordable, you best option is to grab one from a wreckers, I wouldn't think there would be much demand for used ones....
bondo
Snowmobiles, subaru justy, toyota prius... I'm sure there are others.
ws91420
some saturn vue 2wd
RockinOldSchool
was also available on the nissan murano (optional)

nissan has used them on several other cars elsewhere around the world and quite a few of them can be found in the shops of engine importers.
bondo
Have you ever driven a vehicle with a CVT? It's kind of unnerving. Not something I would choose without a very good reason.
jd74914
QUOTE(bondo @ Feb 7 2007, 11:37 PM) *

Have you ever driven a vehicle with a CVT? It's kind of unnerving. Not something I would choose without a very good reason.

agree.gif Its a very interesting sensation. My Dad's new Freestyle has one and it has a very unique driving style. I do like it better than normal auto though screwy.gif
Aaron Cox
its a constant "clutch is slipping" feeling.

nissan murano, maxima's, altimas all have em as options.
satturn vue 2wd and some AWD....
burton73
You guys do not know what a high performance CVT is to drive. My Lexus GS 400h has 340HP and when you punch it the electric motors just move it with no gears shifting 0 to 60 in 5.2 sec. It is instant power at any speed. Not sure if it is the motors or the combo. I am very impressed with the car. As impressed as I was with my first 70 911s It handles great as well. This year they come out with the 600ls. 430hp 4 wheel motors.

Bob
sean_v8_914
electric motors are VERY high in instantaneous torque. the Toyota synergy drive cars (your Lexus) can be tweeked to be even faster but teh economy benefits drop off rather steep. the current draw is exponential
ArtechnikA
the new MINI's auto is a CVT. fewer than 5% of MINI's are delivered with the CVT auto...
bondo
QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 7 2007, 10:09 PM) *

You guys do not know what a high performance CVT is to drive. My Lexus GS 400h has 340HP and when you punch it the electric motors just move it with no gears shifting 0 to 60 in 5.2 sec. It is instant power at any speed. Not sure if it is the motors or the combo. I am very impressed with the car. As impressed as I was with my first 70 911s It handles great as well. This year they come out with the 600ls. 430hp 4 wheel motors.

Bob

Hybrids with a CVT are cheating. smile.gif I doubt he's making a hybrid kit car.
alpha434
Yeah. I was looking at Nissan's toroidal drive...

But those god-forsaken electric motors are damn skippy. Drove a Tesla a while back. . .

Damn fast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.