Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Breather hoses on a dual Weber 2.0
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Coy
I don't know if my hoses are routed correctly. I have one head breather that's got a hose that connects to the top of one of my air filters and has a "T" connection to the breather right next to the oil filler cap. The other head has a hose that runs into a tube at the firewall, that I believe runs up to the charcole filter at the gas tank (I don't know why I think that is true). The other air filter has the hole capped off.

Is this correct?

Click to view attachment
Aaron Cox
you should run a breather box...

cbperformance.com
Coy
I guess that's kind of my question; where would I put a breather box? It seems to me that the heads are letting pressure out so I might possibly want that crappy air headed to some gathering point (it has some oil in it).

Is there a fitting on the driver's side to the charcoal canister (if that's what the fitting behind the heater fan is) I can't really tell if it's supposed to be there or not.

I also don't know if the oil filler is an intake or exit for crank case pressure. If it's relieving pressure I think I can connect it to the heads and go to one collection point with all three. But if it's an intake then it needs to be filtered air, and shouldn't be connected to the heads like it is now. Right?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Coy @ Feb 7 2007, 11:47 PM) *

I guess that's kind of my question; where would I put a breather box? It seems to me that the heads are letting pressure out so I might possibly want that crappy air headed to some gathering point (it has some oil in it).
If you are going to run one put it where you want, but remember you will need
to plumb it all afterward. Above the engine height is best

Is there a fitting on the driver's side to the charcoal canister (if that's what the fitting behind the heater fan is) I can't really tell if it's supposed to be there or not.
It should not be running up front.
I also don't know if the oil filler is an intake or exit for crank case pressure. If it's relieving pressure I think I can connect it to the heads and go to one collection point with all three. But if it's an intake then it needs to be filtered air, and shouldn't be connected to the heads like it is now. Right?
Its an exhaust for the crankcase.

pin31
Here's apicture of my setup.

rhodyguy
i don't see how the hose running from the charcoal cannister (firewall) to the head port is doing you any good. the draw thru method to the air filter top is ok but i found it to be rather messy. on my engine, one hose runs to a cb breather box from the oil fill tower with a hose running to each of head ports from the box. the box is mounted on the rear of the engine. this method involves quite a bit of hose and you have to install the box high enough for the the oil which pools in the box to drain to the heads. the sponge in the box is a maintenance pain as well. less than optimum. i wish there was a better way to deal with this issue. jp's setup is slick. i've been thinking a windshield washer fluid bottle, mounted on the front firewall, with a petcock added, and one of those little filters on the top might work. sort of like a JAX(?) bottle.

k
Coy
drooley.gif Your's is way prettier than mine! sad.gif

Thanks guys.
SGB
Basically, all those lines relieve excess pressure from leaking rings. That pressurizes the crankcase, which pressurizes the valve covers through the pushrod tubes. Routing all those lines together, then to a breather box or a carb air filter is what you need to do. I have a breather box mounted on the back wall of the engine compartment, as high as I could get it. It may be better to route to the carb really, b/c the breather box emits a fair amount of oil vapor unless your rings really seal well. The engine compartment definitely takes on a protective coating in my car.
John
On a typical 914 engine with carbs, there are only 3 ports that need to be vented.

Each head should have a breather port in the valve cover area and the PVC valve at the filler neck. We bought a simple aluminum breather box from CB and vented to it.

Be sure to mount the breather as high as possible. Oil will travel up the tubing. If the breather box is high enough, the oil will drain back into the vent ports. Otherwise, the breather box will fill with oil.

The breather box we ended up with had 5 ports. We used 3 and plugged the other two.

Good luck.

Good luck.
r_towle
I had a simple setup in an older race car I had.
It was a plastic mayonaisse can with a lid, just in the trunk
all the hoses went in there.

Once in a while, you pour it back into the system

Simple.
Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.