Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pics of modified stock cooling fans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
All of these units are balanced to Kevin Groots E Production 2.0L SCCA engine. We havewent a little above and beyond to do this so he will have a variety of cooling fans that can be used at various tracks due to the track conditions and configuration.

Each of these will be tested on his engine while it's proving it's self in my new lab in just a couple of weeks in preparation of the 2007 SCCA season, his first with MassIVe power.
During testing we'll be comparing the effectiveness of the cooling fan in both temperature ranges and power potential so kevin will have baselines that he can use to choose the best fan for the particular track event be it qualifying or the mac daddy at the Run Offs....

Each of these will be tested both with and without our newest cooling system addition for the 914 engine, the cooling fan velocity enhancement ring. This ring works with any stock fan on any Type 4 fan housing as a bolt on component. It protrudes into the fan inlet and helps to boost the speed of the air entering the fan as well as helping to direct that air into the fan more effectively. The unit pictured is an R&D unit made for me by good ole "spunone" who has become our go to guy for trick test components like this! Thanks man!

I'll be posting data logs from the testing over on my forums in the "Dyno room" section in a couple of weeks..

Jake Raby
Now with the velocity enhancement ring...
I have added an odd pic just to see if someone can guess what I'm working on as well :-)

URY914
Sick. But very cool.

I gotta ask why he isn't running a DTM?
crash914
hmmmmm

996 gt3?
904svo
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 7 2007, 10:28 PM) *

Now with the velocity enhancement ring...
I have added an odd pic just to see if someone can guess what I'm working on as well :-)

Defusser ring, used to increase air flow.

my guess

crash914
could be a boxter engine also....
ahdoman
Hey Jake, if you ever make it to LA we'll have to gold plate that cool "Massive" logo for you and hang it from a 24ct 1/2" link chain. aktion035.gif I also know a dentist who can gold line your teeth to match! av-943.gif Seriously - I'll be watching this project since where I live (and drive) the ambient summer temperature hovers around 100 degrees so any extra cooling without loosing HP is important.
BK911
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Feb 8 2007, 06:28 AM) *

... so any extra cooling without loosing HP is important.

Additional airflow requires additional power.

p1/p2 = (a1/a2)^3

So for a little more air you need a lot more power. In fact, 2x's the airflow requires 8x's the power.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 8 2007, 05:28 AM) *

Sick. But very cool.

I gotta ask why he isn't running a DTM?

Originally this engine was propsed with a DTM. That was 3 years ago and many, many tests and experiences as well..

No DTM because he won't need it! This engine has full thermal barrier and thermal dispersant coatings, Nickies Aluminum cylinders and etc. These things seriously contribute to less heat being generated as well as increasing the thermal conductivity of the components and that gets the heat into the cooling air stream faster.

Running a DTM would do 4 negative things and only one positive for this endeavor.
Negative:
1- It would move the center of gravity higher in the car due to the TI alternator and fan position.
2- It would remove a directly driven component and replavce it with one thats belt driven and give further chance for belt/mechanical failure. It would also add an alternator with bearings that can fail to the equation. One must cross the finish line to win and removing rotating/wear components is key to reliability at the track.
3- Given the fact that this engine will have great inherent cooling capability, the DTM won't really free up the HP that cooler running on the street without Nickies and Coatings generally yields. Therefore the DTM is just robbing net power from this engine, not making power as it generally does through reduced engine temperatures and increased efficiency.
4- The stock cooling system is not just lower in the engine bay, but it also is LIGHTER than the DTM with the mods we have made to it and the actual blower housing we have sourced for this (Not from a 914) and the sheetmetal that has been removed from the system has also removed weight. Running the fan off the crank, especially with our mods will lighten rotational mass and WILL increase throttle response and trap speeds.

Positive:
1- Running a DTM on this engine would provide an excellent foundation for the marketing of said system, BUT I don't believe in sacrificing true performance to net an advertisement, especially when DTMs sell themselves already...

We actually want the oil temperatures in this engine to run at elevated levels, levels so elevated that most of you would close your eyes and pray if you saw the gauge readings I want to see...

The tight gearing Kevin will be running will only net him any heat elevations in the cylinder heads at the end of the straights, then he'll dive into the corner, drop 2 gears and remove load thus increasing fan speed and dropping cylinder head temp.

The DTM in a 914 application is primarily for guys that HAVE a cooling problem compounded by extreme ambient temperatures, poor engine configuration or bad tuning. In this regard the DTM is a huge "Band aid" that stops their problems. Kevin has exceptional components with extreme capabilities to shed heat.

In this case Kevin could lose 10HP by using my DTM.... This is probably the ONLY situation where a DTM robs power, but its not everyday we build a 9,000 RPM 2 liter (2013cc) that makes 210+ HP.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(BK911 @ Feb 8 2007, 07:24 AM) *

Additional airflow requires additional power.

p1/p2 = (a1/a2)^3

That's only the case if "all other things are equal". As you can see, they're not equal. The fan's pumping efficiency is (supposedly) improved, so you can move more air without using more power.

Going the other way: You could take a stock system, and almost completely plug the inlet to the fan. That would greatly reduce the amount of air pumped by the fan, so to get back to the original amount of air you'd have to spin it much faster--which means more power used.

I also think the concept here is more volume, not more pressure.

It's worth noting that this is definitely one of those cases were "race car != street car" applies--in spades! Anyone doing this to their street 914's fan is likely going to wind up with real heat management problems...

--DD
URY914
Jake,

Once again you answer a question completly.

Thanks
groot
The excitement is building........ This is the season I've been waiting for. piratenanner.gif

Here's the gearbox I'm putting together this weekend.
Click to view attachment

Needless to say, I won't be running any long tracks with this box. This will hold us over until I move to a Hewland.
Aaron Cox
nicework guys
Joe Owensby
Just curious. What is the rational for removing portions of only a few of the blades? I know there are significant end effects on the air flow for any airfoil, with lots of losses attributed to the vortices at the end of the foil. This is one of the reasons that fans have shrouds, or modern airplane wings use winglets, turbines have housings. There could also be interferences in airflow from say the end of a short blade to the following long blade. I would have thought that a modification of just maybe reducing the length of all the blades by the same length and then making the shroud or inlet guide match all of them equally would be the way to go. I am no aerodynamicist, but this looks as if it could add a lot of turbulence in the fan area. There must be something I missed. I am not criticing, just curious about this interesting modification. Joe O.
brant
Nice gears kevin...

my top gear is also a V
Jake Raby
Joe,
That fan is a test fan more than anything... The stators can actually get in the way of each other as we have witnessed in the past...

Nothing behind this one but pure wonder.

Some of the best thinngs that have left my shop were not explained before being tested..

We have a fan with both of those blades full length (from another production customer's engine) and it'll be getting swapped back to back for comparison.
Jake Raby
BTW- I invested in 4 more pressure transducers for the new dyno lab today. With these we'll be able to log the pressure inside the plenums of the cooling system with each fan running the same pre-programmed sweeps and track simulation tests for exactly the same amount of time..

These can be plotted on the trace chart and analyzed Vs HP, RPM and head temps.... With this data there is nothing that we can't figure out about how fans and temps behave... We also have two fan housings to test as well, a modified vanagon shroud and a stock 914 shroud...

The nice part is the fact that we can use two of the transducers to measure plenum pressure and the other two to measure the pulse rate of the air (if any) with some fans... There is a reason why I spent 3,500 hours creating this lab.
shaggy
i cut up my fan to look like the second one you posted
(i cut out everyother blade)

what do you recomend as a rpm range to keep it happy and cool?

ill be a 2056 with your 9550.

-jim

ps. whats the shift point on a 9550?
TimT
[hijack}

nevermind

[/hijack]
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(shaggy @ Feb 8 2007, 08:17 PM) *

-jim

BAD idea on a street motor.
Joe Owensby
It will be interesting to see the pressures, etc. you get from your tests. The dyno is really an awesome tool to do the experiments you are proposing. Good luck.
Joe
Bleyseng
QUOTE(shaggy @ Feb 8 2007, 08:17 PM) *

-jim

5000 rpms...depends on your gears.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.