Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many 1.7 Aubergine cars were made in 1971?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Twystd1
Hi fellas,

I was wondering if anyone knew about this color.

The exterior of the car is now painted green. The trunks are factory Aubergine over factory primer. As are the door jams and such.

No rust that I can see so far, cept a quarter size hole in the hell hole.

Jack points look perfect. Longs are perfect. Zip rust anywhere so far.

Shifter needs bushings. Came with Weterns and old tires. Seats and backpad are toasted.

1.7b runs pretty good. And the car came with all the tune up and mechanical receipts since 1986... Sweet...!!!!!

Also has the factory PORSCHE service card and folder for writing down what and when you did work to the car.

Since I am going to sell this car. Do you think the color will improve the value? Even though it's painted green now?

The car is Kali tagged till November next year.

I am trying to get a sense of price.

I was thinking 2500 bucks as is. or 3-35 hundred if I start putting time and parts into it.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Clayton
type4org
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry, I had to wink.gif

Pat Garvey
I've never seen a count of the various colors & don't know if any exists.

Check the Karmann plate for color code. Should read 98 or L98, for custom color. Apparently, there was no VW code for Aubergine, though the Porsche paint code was 4010 (pretty sure).

I'd repaint the exterior to aubergine, but that's just me. I love that color. I'd say to check the COA on the car, but they make so many mistakes & the cost is absurd these days. Karmann plate should tell the story.
Pat
orthobiz
Since I currently don't have a 914 and am in the market for one, I can tell you my own personal opinion regarding paint. I've been looking for a car in every crevice, nook, cranny of this wonderful cyberuniverse.

Personally, I prefer the car to be the original color, whether Zambezi green or gan-green. If I were buying a car, I would be highly suspicious of a repaint, especially one done for the benefit of the sale.

Saw one on eBay recently just painted, different-than-original color, but it looked like obvious bubbling on the sail panels from the pictures! Who knows what incipient rust is awaiting the next rain storm (or car washing).

Saw another on eBay recently where the seller said he specifically didn't repaint it, figuring the next guy would do it...I thought that reflected integrity.

Plus, if you paint it, the next person buying will probably always second guess how he would have done it differently.

Others may be able to tell you whether you can expect to get your money back out of it from their experiences. For me, leave it alone. I'll do it!

Paul
davep
Why not check out this thread, and add the VIN & chassis #.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=42416
Eric_Shea
Paul,

You should seriously look at this car from Clayton.

Also... I think you've got it backward. The "original" color was Aubergine (trunks door jams etc.). Someone foolishly painted it green.

I almost bought that car.

Paul... look into it and repaint the exterior to it's original glory. You'll be the only purple 914 in Gaylord biggrin.gif
Twystd1
Well,

I screwed up......

After taking my pocket knife to several places on the car...

And looking at the paint code L 96D.

This car was originally SILVER METALLIC.
Then repainted Aubergine. The painted Green on the exterior only.

Wow.... Lotsa colors on this car...

I went through the paper trail that came with the car.

The tranny was rebuilt with new syncros and bearings bout 30-40K ago.

The car lived most of it's life in Ventura County, California.

The owner at that time (early to late 80s) was pretty anal at keeping the car in mechanically good shape.

Even has all the paperwork for the Earl Scheibe green paint job.

Tomorrow and Sunday I will yank the tank. Clean the fuel lines.

Go through the brakes. Give it a fuel filter and oil change.

MAYBE throw an interior in it... Am not sure about that.

And sell it for around 2K or so to someone that wants a restoration project

or wants a teener that runs, stops, and is tagged on the cheap...

I found another 914 I want to buy. I need to sell this one to get it.

If you guys know anyone that wants a 71 silver metallic car that needs paint and a LITTLE body work that is pretty dam rust free except a quarter size whole in the hell hole area.

Let me know...

I am not going to list this car in the classifieds until I KNOW it is safe to drive and runs as good as I can make run.

Unless you guys know someone that wants it for bout 2K.

NEXT question..

How many Silver metallic cars (96D code)were made in 71 and is it a rare color?

By the way... I really like asking questions here rather than the general forums. I peruse the concourse threads daily. I bet you that very few of the fellas understand how great the knowledge is in this forum...

Regards,

Clayton
davep
I don't have enough data from the early years, but you can help by providing this one. VIN, chassis # and paint code L96D. Silver was a commonly available color, but did not last long in the sun. Probably the reason for the first repaint.
Eric_Shea
How many Silver metallic cars (96D code)were made in 71

115,239 wink.gif rare indeed! w00t.gif

Bummer on the paint thingy... sad.gif
Twystd1
VIN # 4712907866

L96D color code.

Sold it for 1600 bucks today....... As is......

Gunna buy a 9eleben tomorrow......... Will have a carbed 2.4 engine for sale very soon....

And a tiptronic to go with it if you have a bum leg....

Thanks for all the input fellas........

This is a very good forum. Solid answers and zero hyperbole.

Cept Eric....... Lol...........................................

I will be back with more data on my 914s as they come and go.

Clayton

C

Eric_Shea
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat confused24.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 13 2007, 02:12 AM) *

VIN # 4712907866

Gunna buy a 9eleben tomorrow......... Will have a carbed 2.4 engine for sale very soon....

And a tiptronic to go with it if you have a bum leg....

Thanks for all the input fellas........

This is a very good forum. Solid answers and zero hyperbole.

Cept Eric....... Lol...........................................

I will be back with more data on my 914s as they come and go.

Clayton

C

"the horror"......"the horror" !
Twystd1
I am only buying the 9eleben for the engine, trans, brakes, front end and wheels.....

(8s & 9s..3 piece)

The tub will go to someone I hope.

The 9eleben tranny is a sporto or a tiptronic. I dunno which.

Will know more later this week.

On another note.....

Just got back from Long Beach, Cali to look at a Craig's list 914.

What a POS...... Rusted out longs, unknown tail shifter, rust under paint...etc.... barf.gif

POS luxury 914

The fella wanted 1600 bucks. I offered 300 bucks. He declined.... smile.gif

Oh well... Have 3 more to look at this week.... If I B lucky.. I will find a good one.

I am bound and determined to find another Aubergine car like the one I sold Rusty.

Maybe I will wait till late at night and permanently borrow one of Thomas's Aubergine cars.... agree.gif boldblue.gif happy11.gif aktion035.gif

I will post in this forum on what I find. I like this place. I kinda feel like I am hiding out... In plain sight.

Cheers,

Clayton
Hi Eric... beerchug.gif
Aaron Cox
need a kidney for the 2.4???

AA
Twystd1
AA,

Your kidney is no good by now College man...

How bouts swapping your sister into the dealio?????????????

Twystd1
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 13 2007, 09:54 PM) *

AA,

Your kidney is no good by now College man...

How bouts swapping your sister into the dealio?????????????

Twystd1

i wouldnt wish that upon anyone..... chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.