Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TSD Rally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pin31
There is a PCA concourse and rally (Zone 1 NE) scheduled for May in my backyard (Newport, RI).

I've never done either (concourse or rally), how are they run, what are the rules??

Sounds like it could be fun........

Tips, suggestions ??
Borderline
TSD stands for Time-Speed-Distance. It's been a long time and I only did a couple. You get course directions (turn left onto hwyxxx) and speed directions. You need a very well calibrated odometer and stop watches (way old school) or a rally computer with electronic odometer input. The whole idea is to arrive at the check points at exactly the right time. It can be a kick. I used to do a bunch of GNC Gimmick-Navigational-Coursemarker rallys but then the price of gas went up and it mostly went away.
Have fun!
eric914
Time, speed, distance. You get a set of directions that list distance between turns or reference points. The time between points is calculated based on the posted speed limits. The basic idea is to get from point A to point B and arrive within the required minute. There are generally control points along the way at random points as well. You also need to hit these within the required minute. If you are late or early you will get points added.

I have never done one of these but have crewed for a rally team a few times. They basically do a TSD between race segments.

I have heard TSD rallies are a lot of fun in the winter when back roads remain snow covered. It can be hard to maintain legal speed limits when the roads are in pore condition.

For more info go to the SCCA web sight. They should have the rules posted there.
GeorgeRud
They can be fun if you don't take yourself too seriously. I've actually trophied in some national PCA TSD rallies, but haven't done many in the last 15 years or so.

They will give you some general rules at first (the rallies rules of the road), that you need to read carefully and remember. You get your route instructions just before you leave.

If you have never done one, get a friend that can read, remember, watch for signs, and doesn't get carsick. Be careful about rallying with your wife or significant other unless you don't take it seriously, there can be some major fights and screaming between driver and navigator if things go wrong!

It's a nice way to spend some winter time and see some interesting roads.
pin31
Thanks for the info..and the wife advise !
Sounds like fun, I'm going to give it a try.

BigDBass
I've been thinking about going to the Chicago region PCA Rallye "school" with my wife. My odometer doesn't work and my speedometer is wrong for my tires, so it may not work too well! sad.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Feb 9 2007, 03:26 PM) *

I've been thinking about going to the Chicago region PCA Rallye "school" with my wife. My odometer doesn't work and my speedometer is wrong for my tires, so it may not work too well! sad.gif

GPS may work.

mine gives miles travelled and speed readout to the 1/10th of a mile.

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Feb 9 2007, 08:37 PM) *

QUOTE(BigDBass @ Feb 9 2007, 03:26 PM) *

GPS may work.

mine gives miles travelled and speed readout to the 1/10th of a mile.

Zach

That's great, but a GPS will bump your class in most rallies.

Remember... TSD rallies were invented by divorce lawyers as a way to drum up business.

But if you find the right combination of who drives and who navigates, they can be great fun.

And what we discovered on our very first rally.. read the F@cking directions carefully. That's how we learned that the difference between paved and unpaved is 45 minutes. mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.