Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stock 914 electric pump used on carbed v-8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
heres the deal... i'm thinking about installing a 914 pump on my 69 ranchero. at present i have a (generic) electric pump/fiter and pressure regulator under hood. it has worked good but vapor locked on our 100+ degree summer days.

i'm thinking about mounting a spare 914 (quality rotary pump) in the rear compartment close to gas tank (hollow spot under cover plate in bed). use exsisting 3/8" steel/rubber line to pressure regulator/carb. add return line into fuel fill hose/neck to dump/cool return fuel.

anything i'm not considering here?
kpex914
the 914 pump puts out about 30 psi and a carb only needs about 3-4 psi. it might work it might not. im not sure but thats what i know.
orange914
QUOTE(kpex914 @ Feb 9 2007, 02:51 PM) *

the 914 pump puts out about 30 psi and a carb only needs about 3-4 psi. it might work it might not. im not sure but thats what i know.

shouldnt have any problem holding it down to 3 or 4 p.s.i., espesially with a pump with a return line. someone correct me if im wrong but the 914 pump return line is basically controlled by a "blow off" type valve that releives at pressure of lets say 40 p.s.i. (914 f.i. regulator regulates around 30-35 p.s.i. i beleive)
Katmanken
NO NO AND HELL NO.

The 914 pump is a high pressure, high volume pump suited for the high pressures required for fuel injection and requires both a send and a return line as wel as a pressure regulator.

We went over this before for a carbed 914, and it is dangerous to say the least.

I would hate to see a decent 69 Ranchero go up in a ball of flame due to a high pressure pump squirting fuel out of a popped low pressure fuel hose. Heck, I've seen a 914 go up in flames and it is designed for the pump.

Yer car, yer fire, yer insurance. Sad way to learn that tires expand when the car and the ground is on fire and go POP!

Ken
914Sixer
You need and aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Stock one will not adjust that low. Most VW places have them for about $30-$35.
Katmanken
I really think you ought to do a search on using that pump on a carbed 914.

Tires go POP when on fire!

Ken
Joe Bob
Get a Rotary pump....Mallory or Facet.
orange914
QUOTE(kwales @ Feb 9 2007, 04:50 PM) *

NO NO AND HELL NO.

The 914 pump is a high pressure, high volume pump suited for the high pressures required for fuel injection and requires both a send and a return line as wel as a pressure regulator.

We went over this before for a carbed 914, and it is dangerous to say the least.

I would hate to see a decent 69 Ranchero go up in a ball of flame due to a high pressure pump squirting fuel out of a popped low pressure fuel hose. Heck, I've seen a 914 go up in flames and it is designed for the pump.

Yer car, yer fire, yer insurance. Sad way to learn that tires expand when the car and the ground is on fire and go POP!

Ken

i wont install unless im fully satisfied with the safe operation. i am replacing ALL soft hose with lined goodyear high pressure hose (much better than what vw oem calls for) the excess pessure or return line will be looped to the tank and free flow to releive dead headed or excess pressure. it will have adjustable regulator at carb OR possible at pump, whichever works best.
the fire ball carb conversions mentioned, did they have return line operational?

by the way in the tech articles under 914 info. it shows the steel fuel line conversion/front pump changeover. it doesnt show 3rd (or return hose on pump) hooked up, it just has the return pressure from engine teed into the fuel supply line to pump (pre-presurized line)

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.