Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Swapping Heads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
Ok, my motor has a burned/stuck/fucked up valve. The vehicle has nearly no miles after the incident happend (one of pistons stop firing) If I swap heads, will my problem be solved? I dont have the cash for the proper machine work to fix them, but, I see 1.7-2.0 heads for sale super cheap. I have found a couple sets for less than 200 bucks rebuilt. Also, I have a 1.7, and from what I understand, the 1.8 and 2.0 parts are interchangeable. So my question is, can I put on the 2.0 heads easily? What parts would be needed, assuming I have all the studs and mounting hardware from my original 1.7? Is there any chance that it is just a bolt on affair?
huh.gif
JaReD
skline
Nope! A 1.7 needs 1.7 heads 90mm pictons. The 1.8 has 93mm and the 2.0 has 94mm. The head is opened up for them and the 1.7 would swim inside either one. I have a couple of 1.7 heads here that are ready to go. In fact, one of them is freshly rebuilt. I will sell them to you for $100.00 for both. You are just out in Murrieta, you could drive out and get them today. I am in Costa Mesa. let me know. swkline@comcast.net
Aaron Cox
back from boot camp eh?
Mueller
the intake tubes for the 2.0 are specific to the 2.0(3 stud), they will not fit the 1.7/1.8 heads (4 stud)
DrifterJay
do you think swapping the heads would be a difficult task for a newb? I dont have the experience, but it looks relatively simple? Also, swapping the heads would be the best fix for a burnt valve correct??
Jared
DrifterJay
(I am speaking of swapping 1.7 heads...) not the 2.0 anymo..
TheCabinetmaker
Only if the swapped head is in good shape and doesn't have a burned valve also. Its a lot of work with no gaurantee.
DrifterJay
well I am considering skline's offer. I am on vacation from work for the next 3 weeks. So if I take my time do you think it is feasible. Could I swap the heads over for less than 300? Not including the price of the heads.
Jared
skline
A head swap is pretty simple. It is a lot of work though. You have to drop the motor, clean everything, pull the sheetmetal and intake and fan. Then just unbolt the head and pull it off. There are a few other little obstacles like pushrod tubes, the one little screw on the bottom sheetmetal holding it on to the head but it is pretty easy. You could do it in a day probably.
DrifterJay
Skline, I am definately interested in those heads. Will you be available during the week for me to pick them up?
Jared
skline
I should be, I am usually in the area if you want to give me a call when you are around. 714-318-3889 Here is a picture I just took with my phone of the fresh head. It was put on a motor but never even fired up. YOu can still see the blue dye from the valve job.
DrifterJay
the head/heads lol, are good as sold, I will give you a call during the week to set up a time. Thanx
Jared smile.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Jay, that's a good looking head. Better go for it. Besides the price of the head, your only other cost is going to be a gasket set(around 55 bucks) and Brad's Brake cleaner. It does work fast, and not much work. I just went through this exact thing 3 months ago before the MUSR. This was my first time. I got the heads back on friday night and drove the car on Sunday afternoon. The only real problem I had was trying to remove the wristpins from the pistons to replace the cylinder base seal. I finally just pulled the clyinders off the pistons and recompressed the rings to reinstall the cylinder. My "bible" was Tom Wilson's book
"how to rebuid your vw aircooled engine". I also got a lot of help from this board and Brad when he wasn't at Hooters. laugh.gif It was a rewarding experience. Makes me want to do complete rebuild (but not on the same motor).

Good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.