Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone tried interior vinyl paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
If you've seen my thread about removing the backpad and replacing it with carpet, well, one thing has lead to another, and I'm replacing the original tan carpet with a charcoal color. Now the door panels don't match. sad.gif Since new ones seem pretty expensive, I thought I might try painting them with either VHT or Dupli Color's vinyl interior paint. Anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks
orange914
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 9 2007, 04:07 PM) *

If you've seen my thread about removing the backpad and replacing it with carpet, well, one thing has lead to another, and I'm replacing the original tan carpet with a charcoal color. Now the door panels don't match. sad.gif Since new ones seem pretty expensive, I thought I might try painting them with either VHT or Dupli Color's vinyl interior paint. Anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks

i've used it on seats -dont do it-. the doors may work out better becouse they're not flexed
championgt1
QUOTE(orange914 @ Feb 9 2007, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 9 2007, 04:07 PM) *

Thanks

i've used it on seats -dont do it-. the doors may work out better becouse they're not flexed

I'm not familar with the VHT brand but I used Dupli Color on my carpets and door panels, and various other places in my 924 and it turned out great, but I've never used it on my 914.
bperry
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 9 2007, 06:07 PM) *

Thanks

My brother in law used some kind of dye on his seats and backpad.
Changed them from Tan to black. I was surprised. I would have thought
that it would rub off on your clothes but it didn't. You'd never know it
was originally tan. Color was even and it maintained full flexibility.
I'll ask him what he used and post back.

BTW, what are you doing with your old tan carpet? What condition is it in?
I could use a few new pieces especially the one on the drivers
side long.

--- bill
41ghost
QUOTE(bperry @ Feb 9 2007, 05:43 PM) *

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 9 2007, 06:07 PM) *

Thanks

My brother in law used some kind of dye on his seats and backpad.
Changed them from Tan to black. I was surprised. I would have thought
that it would rub off on your clothes but it didn't. You'd never know it
was originally tan. Color was even and it maintained full flexibility.
I'll ask him what he used and post back.

BTW, what are you doing with your old tan carpet? What condition is it in?
I could use a few new pieces especially the one on the drivers
side long.

--- bill

he may have used SEM paint, iv'e used this and had great results.
jasons
QUOTE(41ghost @ Feb 9 2007, 06:32 PM) *

he may have used SEM paint, iv'e used this and had great results.

agree.gif

I've used the SEM Vinyl stuff on a few things, it works pretty good.

You might offer your door panels out for a trade first though. Good chance someone wants that color but has black.
nomore9one4
Make sure you wipe the panels down with a good cleaning solvent and lightly sand with a 1000 grit paper to scuff(not scratch) the surface. Use very thin coats and you will be fine.
boxstr
SEM is what the real pros use.
CCL
jgara962
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 9 2007, 08:49 PM) *

CCL

Is SEM the brand name?

I want to be a pro. biggrin.gif
70Sixter
I have heard great things about Surflex. This isn't where I usually find it, BUT...I cannot find the place in S Carolina I think.

http://www.colorplus.com/frameset_history.html

I did a white/black specks 911 headliner in black and had no problem.
jasons
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Feb 10 2007, 01:39 PM) *

QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 9 2007, 08:49 PM) *

CCL

Is SEM the brand name?

I want to be a pro. biggrin.gif

They make a lot of good stuff.

http://www.sem.ws/
pete-stevers
yup SEM is the choice for me....but can you not use a dye rather then paint???
jgara962
For anyone thinking of trying this, give it a shot. I used the Dupli Color Vinyl & Interior paint and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Here is the driver's side panel before I put all of the stuff back on.
jgara962
And here it is back on the door.

Just waiting for the passenger side to dry, and I'll be all done.
McMark
Is this a rattle can paint or a brush on dye? Looks good! Oh, and BTW, your carpet is done and I need your car. wink.gif
Coy
The previous owner sprayed mine with Dupli-color changing it from brown to black and got similar results. I never would have known, if he didn't give me a full can just in case. I touched up the center console pad, it looks like brand new.
nomore9one4
Very nice John! Although, some would say you are not a "real professional" unless you used SEM. I have been certified since '99 and I am not under some's standards a "real professional" either. Besides, I wonder if a "Real Professional" would use any product from a aerosal? confused24.gif driving.gif
jasons
Even if you have black door panels, that stuff is a good cheap way to freshen them up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.