Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: calling experienced chassis experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
woobn8r
I'm looking for some opinions...

Setting:
'74 1.8l (original) very little rust (if any)
installing a 3.2
5 bolt SC F susp
930 F brakes
23mm F torsion bars
adj F&R anti roll bars
250lb/in R springs
5 bolt r hub conversion
boxed r.arms
Koni adj all 4 corners
Mono balls/needlebearing/bushings
NO CAGE

Car is to be street legal, used for lapping, occasional AX.

OUESTION:
what Modifications would YOU do?
(please make a complete listl)
ie oil cooler cut out, inner/outer longs etc...

Thanks,

Sean
Bleyseng
Engman chassis stiffening kit!
GT oil cooler set up
911 combo gauge
Matt Romanowski
The Engman kit is probably a good idea. Depending on the car the Brad Mayeur kit may be a good idea too.

If your going to be making a lapping / DE car, I would put a cage in it.

Also, I would run Wilwood brakes front and rear instead of the 930 fronts.

What's the budget?
woobn8r
Well I already have a fresh rebuilt engine, an aluminum 915, the 930 brakes etc....
I have just bought the car....(was going to do another tail dragger, as Ive been a 911 guy for about 10 years)...I am not familiar with the 914 chassis and there's not too many around here! But, I've always wanted a 914!

This 914 will be stripped, and I need to know which stiffening kits work...and which are an exercize in welding. 9 piece, 5 piece, inner engman plus outer kit or without....the front oil cooler is a given...I am tending to vent it underneath...but some guys run it up through the hood...

As to budget, well....I will invest what I need to so the job gets done....right. Oh, and hopefully do it once. I figure people around here have been doing these cars for a while and have different experiences with different modifications and set ups. Budget is available, but with a plan and wisely spent.

As for the wilwoods....they dont have rubbers to protect the pistons....too much of a "track only" item. I don't know which calipers to run in the back...I have some 951 calipers, but they'll take some engineering to fit I think....I'll worry about that when I get there....

Thanks for all the Ideas. Keep 'em comin'.

Sean
herman maire
Hey Sean,

Sounds like you have a pretty soild plan..... I dont think I would go through the trouble and $$$ of swaping in a 915 though, I am VERY surprised at how well my 73 901 tranny shifts and its not even in top shape, I also dont even have a WEVO or RENN shifter yet!!

What size of sway bars you running? I just picked up a 19mm rear bar smile.gif ...... still not sure what size to get for the front.
woobn8r
QUOTE(herman maire @ Feb 9 2007, 10:54 PM) *

Hey Sean,

Sounds like you have a pretty soild plan..... I dont think I would go through the trouble and $$$ of swaping in a 915 though, I am VERY surprised at how well my 73 901 tranny shifts and its not even in top shape, I also dont even have a WEVO or RENN shifter yet!!

What size of sway bars you running? I just picked up a 19mm rear bar smile.gif ...... still not sure what size to get for the front.

Hi Julian,

I just have the 915....the car has come with a 901 side shift....I haven't thought that through yet....I'll do my homework first.

I'm a big believer in using springs to do most of the work and using sway (anti-roll) bars to tune with...so I like smaller diameter adjustable ones....haven't got there yet either....My '72 911 had 23mm torsion bars up front with a 16mm adjustable A-R bar....worked amazing....I had a small bar on the back too and had it unhooked at many tracks......but I'll have some set up work to do when I get the teener ready to rock!

PS that console is AWESOME! Just what I was looking for thanks a tonne!

Cheers,

S.
John
I would ditch the rear bar for driving on a track or street.

You may want more comfortable seats. With the stiff springs that you suggest, the car will be very bumpy ride unless the streets are very smooth.

Why are you using SC front susp with 930 brakes? Why not just use a 930 suspension and not mess with reworking the calipers? (you are obviously spending mucho denero already)

You will need a cage.

The inner long kit is a real good idea, but may not be necessary with a cage.

I would use a front cooler. Since you are spending the big bucks anyway, go with a GT shroud Gt Bumper, GT valence, and a cooler that fits.

Are you flaring the car? I would suggest doing so.

9x16 fuchs at all 4 corners with 245/45 tires.
Trekkor
The Engman kit will transform your car. Instantly.

A fantastic mod.

Not too pricy, easy to install and lightweight.

As for suspension set-up. There are so many routes. I know what works for me and my car.

Ask and I'll tell you.

KT
Bleyseng
If the car is mostly a street car a cage is a pain in the ass. Lapping days and AXing don't require cages so the Engman kit is a good plan.

The GT front oil cooler set up with exit out the trunk floor is a clean install with the proper GT oil cooler shroud. Saves trunk space and you can use a spacesaver spare tire.

woobn8r
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 10 2007, 12:07 PM) *

If the car is mostly a street car a cage is a pain in the ass. Lapping days and AXing don't require cages so the Engman kit is a good plan.

The GT front oil cooler set up with exit out the trunk floor is a clean install with the proper GT oil cooler shroud. Saves trunk space and you can use a spacesaver spare tire.

Is there still room for the battery up front with a GT front oil cooler kit?
woobn8r
QUOTE(John @ Feb 10 2007, 01:30 AM) *

I would ditch the rear bar for driving on a track or street.

You may want more comfortable seats. With the stiff springs that you suggest, the car will be very bumpy ride unless the streets are very smooth.

Why are you using SC front susp with 930 brakes? Why not just use a 930 suspension and not mess with reworking the calipers? (you are obviously spending mucho denero already)

You will need a cage.

The inner long kit is a real good idea, but may not be necessary with a cage.

I would use a front cooler. Since you are spending the big bucks anyway, go with a GT shroud Gt Bumper, GT valence, and a cooler that fits.

Are you flaring the car? I would suggest doing so.

Thanks for the advice...My street 911 was similarly sprung and was great on the street. I've raced for over 15 years and I'll be able to work out a suspension set up when I get to that stage....As for ride quality...this is a FUN car, not a daily driver....I have comfortable cars...I have the calipers already and they bolt to an SC strut....at least they did on my 911. I have not decided if I will flare the car yet. I will not have a cage.

What I need to know is do I have to use both inner AND outer long re-enforcements? What CHASSIS mods are "manditory " for the well prepped chassis?....Which rear kits are needed? Should I gussett strut mounts like the 911 RS & RSR"? should I seam weld the entire chassis? WHo has done these mods and can tell me of their benefits?

Bleyseng
Seam welding is a good idea cuz the spots welds aren't that great usually. this was a inexpensive car to begin with and Karmann's body work wasn't the great. If you are going to do fun stuff like AX and track days then its a good idea. The oil cooler shroud doesn't take up much room and if you want a spare then its mounted against the front bulkhead. Or ditch the spare like this car
woobn8r
Great Pic and info...Thanks Bleyseng(Geoff)

That's exactly what I will do for oil cooling and battery location!

Cheers,

S.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.