Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: BMW 745i turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
My buddy just got his BMW brought down to him from his old place up in Oregon. It's a 1985 745i turbo. He doesn't know much about cars or the car itself.

After researching I guess it was manufactured only for Europe and many of them ended up getting over to the states. Somewhat rare I guess? The cockpit and all the gauges are in German. It's in pretty good/ok condition.

Anyone know anything about 'em? I can't find much info on the net.
Twystd1
I know the guy that knows all about em..

Joe Guercio...

Ya want his number?

But first... what do you want to know?

C
Hammy
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Feb 9 2007, 11:32 PM) *

I know the guy that knows all about em..

Joe Guercio...

Ya want his number?

But first... what do you want to know?

C

Just basic shtuff...
If it's valuable at all. Sounds like it needs a desperate tune up. Lumpy idle and ticking. Is that lifters? I'll bet they're a fortune to get work done on?
I predict my friend selling it. He's all jazzed about it but I predict him selling it (to someone who can appreciate it) and getting a Honda smile.gif
Twystd1
I have a BMW 850 CI I would dam near give away...

Cost more to keep it running than it is worth. Like your friends turbo car.

They are relatively rare and the parts are scarrey expensive...

Your friends turbo car is probably a grey market car.

I will call Joe tomorrow and ask him if it's ok to give you his number. I am pretty sure he will have no problem letting your friend talk to him...

PM me your buddys phone number. (and yours)

Have a good day bro...

C
burton73
I predict money, big money. I am in Germany now and I found a web site of BMW owners
all over the world with there email. they may help.

http://7er.com/service/ownerdb-e.php?action=listen

If there are hot for these back in Europe he will have a market with the exchange rate. UK has a 2 to one with us. I am paying 130 us for 100 Euros so for a big buy they can find the shipping nothing and a rust free car or low rust car great. They can get a great deal on cars in the US

I am staying 30Km outside of Frankfurt and have to drive in on Biz. god they drive fast here. I always think I am jamming and above the posted limits by a lot and some people come flying by. I stay in the middle when ever I can but I am not driving slow. They gave me a new BMW diesel stick

Bob
rick 918-S
Those cars are on the top of the cool scale. Does it have the vented hood in the left front? Or is it both sides.... Memory fails me I've only seen one and that was about 15 years ago. drooley.gif

And twystd1, When your ready to carry the 850I out to the curb I would to be your trash man that day.... biggrin.gif Is yours an auto or the 6 sp? aktion035.gif driving.gif

Hey Hammy, The ticking is rocker arm adjustment. It's supposed to be done every 6000 to 8000 miles. No one ever does it. If it's not done regularly the end result is badly worn cam shaft lobes and or badly worn side surface on the rocker arms. I've also had the adjusters go flat. How many miles are on the car? What's the maintainance history? I've done a cam change in a 6 series with two freinds and about 10 standard screw drivers. Otherwise it takes a special fixture to get the cam out. I'm giving you worst case stuff. I'll see if I can find a photo of the cam and rocker assembly. This could be you rough running and miss.

Also look at the boot that connects the air mass sensor to the intake. It's a bellows type thing and they crack. This will cause rough running. Also check the idle motor. They gum up and cause rough idle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.