Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 X - Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
I am still undecided if I should use my first choice of mirrors... I will not use stock mirrors, I want something different. I am thinking of these, the aero mirrors (but rather not drill holes in my door) or something else.. any ideas??
DerekKim
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Feb 9 2007, 11:31 PM) *

I am still undecided if I should use my first choice of mirrors... I will not use stock mirrors, I want something different. I am thinking of these, the aero mirrors (but rather not drill holes in my door) or something else.. any ideas??

I think of throwing up when I see those mirrors.... No offense but I dislike the mirrors that are super close to the car. Maybe some of those F1 style mirrors. Doesn't have to be CF but the sweet action slim stem and smaller mirror?
cbenitah
I have these in mind as well.. These are the ones I am closest of picking... painted in body color... NOT CF
DerekKim
Those are better but IMO a little too round for the teener. Just would look awkward ya know? Probably just me.
cbenitah
I see your point but I believe they would work..
DerekKim
Well the most important thing as that you like it. A lot of people thought my car was stupid. Or I get "It's so cute and small" a lot. It grows on people. I'm sure it would grow on me. The car looks beautiful so far! What kind of engine is going into it?
burton73
If you can get the vent glass mirrors to work it may be less work. You need to get the prices for the parts. At least you would be using real Porsche mirrors. The drilling work and fitting needs to be just right and reinforced with a small pate that is riveted if I remember right. The electrical work is a lot of fun as well. I had always wanted to put on 911sc power mirrors. That was 25 years ago. Now I am just going to stick with the stock 914-6 mirrors as that came on the car I am going for a factory semi GT look. Now thinking of all the work I am happy I am going stock but you will have the 916-X project so you need to do it the way you want or you will never be happy. It will be that one thing that will always bug you when you go out to your car.

Bob
East coaster
Everyone's taste is different, I like these yet others may think they suck and that's OK. They do work really well functionally, no blind spots and good adjustability. I think that's one of the challenges when going with different mirrors is having them work well in addition to achieving the look you want.

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
I'm w/ Bob,burton73, on this one. I like the old style mirrors but it's your car- you have to do what you like & to hell w/ what others think. I too am a huge 916 fan & am envisioning the 916RSR as opposed to the X. It's all about disposable income & how much do you want to dispose on the project. Poor mans Porsche my Ass! cool_shades.gif
Zimms
QUOTE(East coaster @ Feb 10 2007, 09:30 AM) *

Everyone's taste is different, I like these yet others may think they suck and that's OK. They do work really well functionally, no blind spots and good adjustability. I think that's one of the challenges when going with different mirrors is having them work well in addition to achieving the look you want.

Click to view attachment

East coaster,

What mirrors are they, and can you post a picture of the car from the front 3/4 view?

Thanks,

Mark
Aaron Cox
miata?
cbenitah
Yo AA.. I got the pics you requested...
Boojum
I'm not super fond of the roundness, but I'd say go with whatever works best. There's no point to having shiny mirrors if you can't see squat out of them. I most like the mirrors on the white car. They look good, and they look functional.
cbenitah
Here are something to stir the pot with
cbenitah
And more
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(DerekKim @ Feb 10 2007, 12:33 AM) *

I get "It's so cute and small" a lot. It grows on people. I'm sure it would grow on me.

I'm sorry, did you see the pump? poke.gif
alpha434
356 mirrors. Anyone got a pic? I like those. Chrome to match the trim.

Cris. Make your own mirrors. That will instill the most pride and most accurately reflect your concept of this car. Buying something already available is just playing second fiddle to your design.
cbenitah
i didn't design the wheels, the body kit.. Don't really see a reason why I would design it myself.. I am taking whats out there and combining it to my dream car... not yours theirs.. but mine..
I see your point though
alpha434
Wheels and body are sometimes out of your reach as far as designing. But making some of those big choices fit together is the tough part. That's where designing your own detail pieces may be integral.

This isn't a lecture. Just my opinion. Your car looks fantastic. Even with the mirrors that are on there.
GeorgeRud
They're certainly not aerodynamic, but the large 911 flag type mirrors nicely compliment the 914s shape. There was a very nice white 914 conversion around that looked great with this combination.
cbenitah
GeorgeRud, what mirrors do you refer to since all of them are "911" mirrors in some way..
East coaster
Someone asked for a 3/4 view from front.

This is the closest I have:

Click to view attachment

BTW - Give Aaron a gold star......they are miata mirrors! I think Mazda stole the design form the late 911 mrrors, so I stole it back happy11.gif
Aaron Cox
hooray! gold star for me! im gonna put it on my fridge smile.gif
cbenitah
focus people focus laugh.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Feb 10 2007, 04:37 PM) *

GeorgeRud, what mirrors do you refer to since all of them are "911" mirrors in some way..

pic 1 = early steelies
pic 2 = flag
pic 3 = aero
scotty b
pic 3

911,944&928 all used the flag BUT the 911 had a different base which is what you need for a 914

911,968 used aero but same deal with the base
cbenitah
So question to all the gents out there.. Why does people prompt on putting the mirrors before the vent window when on ALL 911 which also have a vent window they put the mirrors behind it..
Joe Bob
So what did you decide? Gonna keep them or sell them? I have a project they would look good on....where did you get them?
cbenitah
Not getting much help here, but until I decide I need to mount one on the driver side temporarily so I can drive.. got them here in SD for $199
scotty b
QUOTE(cbenitah @ Feb 10 2007, 07:41 PM) *

So question to all the gents out there.. Why does people prompt on putting the mirrors before the vent window when on ALL 911 which also have a vent window they put the mirrors behind it..

To put it simply, different car, different riding position (height) creates a different viewing position so the mirrors need to be further forward on a 94 to be effective. IIRC driver and passenger mirrors are also in different locations.
Aaron Cox
great info in this thread!

smilie_pokal.gif
Scott Carlberg
the Aero/Tear Drop mirrors on a 914, owned by Dave of GPR fame

Click to view attachment

tyler
I needed a black mirror and found this one on Ebay (140065242370). For about $30, it worked out great. It's metal and very similar to the stock one. It can also be mounted without drilling new holes. You have to use one mounting hole and use a smaller stud attached to a hole on the underside of the mirror which matches the tapped hole in the door. Then a nut to attach the stud. I just put it on and, except for being black, it looks very close to stock. Also it could be painted any color. The only downside is that it comes from Cyprus and took 2 months to get here.

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
nein14
I have those mirrors on mine smoke.gif
scotty b
I know this isn't what you're going for but just to make this the "official" Porsche mirror thread I thought I'd find some pics of earlier mirrors. First is the Talbot also p[opular with the 356ers. Second is the Durant, commonly found on late 60's early 70's 911. Also FYI the aero's from a 968 will fit a 944,need minor re-wiring for the motors, that is what I have for mine. Later mirrors and door handles make ALL the difference in early 944's and mid 911's IMHO. Pwerhaus car is what mine will look like except with painted C2 turbo wheels
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.