Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: German License Plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
swm914
Hi, I'm new to 914's. Often I see sharp looking German license plates on the front of 914's. Where is a good place to buy one, possibly with cutomized letters/numbers etc. that is of the quality one would want to put on a sharp 914. I've seen some chessy looking ones and that is not what I have in mind. Another thought was trying to get a real plate possibly from my year? (1974) Any thoughts, comments or advice appreciated. Thanks
Steve
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(swm914 @ Feb 10 2007, 03:26 PM) *

Hi, I'm new to 914's. Often I see sharp looking German license plates on the front of 914's. Where is a good place to buy one, possibly with cutomized letters/numbers etc. that is of the quality one would want to put on a sharp 914. I've seen some chessy looking ones and that is not what I have in mind. Another thought was trying to get a real plate possibly from my year? (1974) Any thoughts, comments or advice appreciated. Thanks
Steve

There are sites on ebay selling old German license plates for our German cars......BUT , they often do NOT fit on the American spec vehicles because their plate size is different. Meaning Longer. Some of the Oval sized plates do fit, as I believe they were a German plate for export use only....given to those with Euro delivery packages. Or to be used while you toured around their country after picking up the car at the factory. I have purchased several on ebay and other auctions, and you will find that the plates have been altered in the area of the seals, as this renders them null and void and for deco purposes or novelty use only. BUT, there are also guys selling replicated seals, to put on over the damaged or scraped off areas, to make them look whole again.

I have found the ones that appear to be cheesy, are the plates made by after-marketeers trying to cobble together a catchy phrase or initials of your choosing. In my eye, merely looking all too fabricated for a personal effort that looks nothing like the real deal from das Vaterland.

For the gold chain set.........

mrgreenjeans
1970 Neun vierzehn
First pic....domestic German plate

Second pic.....export/tourist plate
swm914
Thanks for both replies. To 1970 Neun vierzehn...where did you get your expoet/tourist plate? Do you have any idea where they can be had? I live in Hershey, PA with an upcoming Porsche "swap meet". Perhaps there?

Is that kind of plate ok to have on for a competitive judging? thansks

Steve
1970 Neun vierzehn
Steve,
A customer of ours brought back a VW from an European delivery program that we had arranged for her. As a small favor to me, she gave me the "tourist" plate from her car.

As far as competitive judging is concerned, I guess it would depend on who the judges are, and what kind of event it was.

BTW, my front European delivery plate absolutely drives our concours moderator "crazy". He complains about it constantly........all the more reason to keep it! happy11.gif
swm914
I just came back from an ebay cruise and found this (and a few others), In looking at the front of your car, it appears to be similar. Hopefylly this URL will take, I'm still learning how to use this forum. thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=015

Steve

70Sixter
This place was recommended for antique plates. Also does foreign.

http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/european_p...fa0a26374c3f6fd
Bleyseng
I had a set of those oval plates on my 64 1500S Squareback. Way cool on the 914.
swm914
Thanks to all for the good advice...
Steve
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 10 2007, 03:44 PM) *

Steve,
A customer of ours brought back a VW from an European delivery program that we had arranged for her. As a small favor to me, she gave me the "tourist" plate from her car.

As far as competitive judging is concerned, I guess it would depend on who the judges are, and what kind of event it was.

BTW, my front European delivery plate absolutely drives our concours moderator "crazy". He complains about it constantly........all the more reason to keep it! happy11.gif

As you expected. Ranks right down there with this hood emblem.
mrgreenjeans
Hey is that a Packard Cormorant ?

If it is, at least its from another P car-----
so it can't be all bad

Some judges may ADD points for Creative license.

But, the thing should be really dulled down a bit....like a subtle satin finish so it looks more of an understated elegance in a Teutonic sort of way.

The chrome - y look makes it appear a little too Bangle-ish, and we can't have any Bay-Em -Vay influence shadowing our beloveds

Check to see if there may be a Porsche part number on it before you toss it on Ebay with those fuzzy dice and dingle balls you unscrewed from around the door posts
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 14 2007, 12:08 AM) *

so it can't be all bad

But, the thing should be really dulled down a bit....like a subtle satin finish so it looks more of an understated elegance in a Teutonic sort of way.

The chrome - y look makes it appear a little too Bangle-ish, and we can't have any Bay-Em -Vay influence shadowing our beloveds

Check to see if there may be a Porsche part number on it before you toss it on Ebay with those fuzzy dice and dingle balls you unscrewed from around the door posts

I still can't believe someone would such do such sacrilege to a bumble bee. But...think about this this - the pic was taken in 1976. That bumble bee was only 2 years old! The pic was taken in Gatlinburg,Tn. Anyone have info about this car?
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 14 2007, 10:51 PM) *

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 14 2007, 12:08 AM) *

so it can't be all bad

I still can't believe someone would such do such sacrilege to a bumble bee. But...think about this this - the pic was taken in 1976. That bumble bee was only 2 years old! The pic was taken in Gatlinburg,Tn. Anyone have info about this car?

Driven in the rain...... once too often. The bird ornament could get sawzall-smiley.gif Gonna guess this ones a gonner. Seems like once they got wet anywhere down in their innards , they invited the tin worm to roost and it was all down hill from there............Just think: if he had already removed the rain tray, like so many of the dealers were telling the owners to do, so they didn't fry 'em up in the heat ( the current myth of the day ), all the wonderful little rivulets were running down into the Hell hole and washing down the battery sides, and depositing all the residual crud and chemical down into the inner sanctum stirthepot.gif up all sorts of wonder.

Several of our local PCA members, and I, were at the Porsche dealership last year watching the Carrera GT go to its new owner in the midst of winter via enclosed transporter. Driver makes notes to the GM as he processes the paperwork: STONE CHIPS on frontal portion of entire body !!! A freakin' half million dollar purchase, and the mechanic had taken it for a very costly 12 mile Pre-delivery ride : ON the very roads WE stinkin' drive our Salt Beaters on in the depths of winter, avoiding the costly ravages of nature to our beloveds.

I say ar15.gif the bastards for making stromberg.gif out of the poor schlumps righteous ride.

IMMHO happy11.gif
schreiber
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 11 2007, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 10 2007, 03:44 PM) *

Steve,

As you expected. Ranks right down there with this hood emblem.

...cringe...
DonTraver
I just bought a couple of German Plates from these guys. Perfect work, look really great on the 914-6 and RS America. Give them a call.

I need to take some pictures of them, but in the mean time, here's a pic of my friend Keith's RS America with one of their plates. The plates also come with German tags.

http://www.eurosportdaytona.com

Don
Slider
IPB Image

I picked mine up at a swap Meet for the CA guys the Pomona Swapmeet. i got it from a guy that comes out here from Germany and sells parts.

the plates are actual used ones and i got a dealer plate frame for the plates with it. i like the look but as you can see my car is not concourse..

The dealer plate frame is nice you just unscrew the orginal plate mount and then the plate frame/holder screws right into the original mounting holes.
orange914
e-bay
Click to view attachment
jonferns
Also ebay

IPB Image
Pat Garvey
My basic reply would be - why do you want to destroy the the smooth lines of the front with "any" plate. I know people in states that require f & r plates who will not run the front plate (keep it in the trunk for cops - oops, sorry, the screws fell out). But, at least those states "require" a front plate. Sorry for offending anyone, but delivery plates are not cool in my opinion.
Pat
schreiber
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 4 2008, 07:09 PM) *

My basic reply would be - why do you want to destroy the the smooth lines of the front with "any" plate. I know people in states that require f & r plates who will not run the front plate (keep it in the trunk for cops - oops, sorry, the screws fell out). But, at least those states "require" a front plate. Sorry for offending anyone, but delivery plates are not cool in my opinion.
Pat

I'm thinking I'll probably get one - but only as a temporary fix to try to hide my front bumper (which is is SAD shape at present)
Jake
Click to view attachment
Scott S
Sort of like how I think owning a red sports car is totally cliche and boring...

SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Mar 7 2008, 01:20 PM) *

Sort of like how I think owning a red sports car is totally cliche and boring...

slap.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.