Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buying a car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Hope to check out a car next weekend, will be flying out to see it, let's say a 10K purchase price. Two weeks later I will arrive with a covered trailer to take the car home. I won't have the trailer earlier and I don't want to lose the car.

Want to leave a deposit before I fly out. How much? Western Union? Cert check by FedEx?

So I fly out. Do I pay for the car then or when I actually pick it up? Does a car of this vintage have a title?

I'm having trouble with the actual mechanics of the whole process. Any help appreciated.

Paul Biz
BigDBass
When I found my 914 (in Minneapolis), I found a volunteer from 914world/club to do a PPI for me. After discussing the results with my "inspector", I spoke with the seller on the phone to negotiate final price and the details, which entailed my snailmailing a deposit of about 50% of the price and setting a date for me to fly there with a cashier's check for the balance, then I drove the 914 back to Chicago. That's the short version of how my purchase was executed. The long version was a LOT more fun! biggrin.gif

Had I been getting a car from the west coast, I probably would have had it shipped.

I would suggest that you make use of the brotherhood (and sisterhood) here. Post a message asking for a PPI in the general area where the 914 is and it's very likely you can find somebody here to inspect the car for you and maybe even help with arrangements etc. If you have airfare $ and time to spend, then go ahead and fly around to look at cars! smile.gif

My $.0002!
Joe Bob
Depends on the State your dealing with as to whether it has a title. Most Motor Vehicle Departments are online now. If you have a local Department you can ask them....AAA in CA has title and registration services.

Deposits are usually non refundable...unless the seller has another offer and you give your place in line. Get an offer in writing. You can use an escrow service.....

What I and others have done is pay for a PPI (pre purchase inspection) at a 3rd party.....I pay for that. It passes, I wire a deposit, and go get it or pay in full and ship it......I have also driven with cash and trailer and pick it up subject to my physical inspection.....it depends on how it "feels"....different deals require different tactics.

orthobiz
Thanks for the help everybody. I think I read MikeZ's reply but maybe I just looked at his avatar continuously for an hour...

A 914World member looked at it yesterday. No driving the salt-encrusted roads in the winter! Checks out, will try to figure it out with the seller.

I know, I know, this thread is worthless without a picture: but I'm working on it!

Paul
Joe Bob
I'm here to help.....
anthony
QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 10 2007, 10:03 PM) *

Deposits are usually non refundable...unless the seller has another offer and you give your place in line. Get an offer in writing. You can use an escrow service.....

What I and others have done is pay for a PPI (pre purchase inspection) at a 3rd party.....I pay for that. It passes, I wire a deposit, and go get it or pay in full and ship it..

Everything is negotiable. When I bought my 911, I wrote the seller a check for $250 on the spot. I made it clear that:

a) if any major problems were found during the PPI, I'd get my deposit back or we'd renegotiate.

cool.gif if no major problems were found that I would pay him the asking price of the car.

I could have done the deal without a deposit but I wanted to show the seller that I was seriously going to buy the car and I wanted him to tell any other prospective buyers that the car was sold. I felt the deposit check, even though it was small, confirmed my intentions and formalized our deal.

TJB/914
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Feb 10 2007, 09:34 PM) *

Hope to check out a car next weekend, will be flying out to see it, let's say a 10K purchase price. Two weeks later I will arrive with a covered trailer to take the car home. I won't have the trailer earlier and I don't want to lose the car.

Want to leave a deposit before I fly out. How much? Western Union? Cert check by FedEx?

So I fly out. Do I pay for the car then or when I actually pick it up? Does a car of this vintage have a title?

I'm having trouble with the actual mechanics of the whole process. Any help appreciated.

Paul Biz

Hi Paul,

You recently contacted me by e-mail asking for names of a few locals who may have the 914 your looking for. I sent an e-mail back, so feel free to contact me by phone for help.

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.