Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need a new muffler whats best?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
I have a 1975 1.8 stock engine. Prior owner put a Monza muffler on it and it is really loud and starting to get holes in it.
I use it as an occassional car, mostly summer but as long as no snow drive it in winter so I want heat, I dont mind some noise but its REALLY loud now.
So long as I am changing mufflers I woyuldnt mind picking up a few hp.
any ideas?
boxstr
I would not recommend anything other than a Triad.
http://www.triadwestperformance.com/Products.htm
CCLINTRIADHASMYMUFF
Dave_Darling
Does the car have the stock 75-76 heat exchangers? If so, you're kinda stuck... Stock or Bursch that I know of.

The late-style exchangers have a single pipe inside them, the muffler flange is a triangle. The early-style ones have two pipes inside them, and the muffler flange is a trapezoid shape.

--DD
Andyrew
There is the option of taking it to an exhaust shop and having them put some good mufflers on it.. like a magnaflow...
mattp
exhaust shp intrigues me, remonds me of when I was younger, hot rods and all that...
I ahve stock heat exchangers and need to keep heat. I read some people go to the stainless HE for less weight and more power any ideas?
Dave_Darling
The late-style exhaust is not very efficient. For heat and a little (probably very little!) boost in power, you can backdate to the earlier style exhaust. SSIs are nice because they don't rust, but going with the stock mild steel ones works well too.

You'll need the appropriate muffler hanger to go with whatever heat exchangers you switch to (e.g., 1.7 or 2.0) and a muffler to match. There is a much wider range of choices for the early-style exhaust than the 75-76 one.

--DD
Andyrew
You need to find out if you already have SS heat exhangers.
Alot of cars were shipped from the factory with them.

fyi the mufflers you currently have are damn loud.. because they are blown out... Almost all of those things blow out.

You could replace the mufflers in your monza exhaust with cheap turbo mufflers and quiet it down a little. or if you want to spend the $$ and buy a pair of name brand mufflers to put in place...

If you want the most hp.. The triad system is the way to go... they sound the best.. but they are the most expensive...

Go down to a reputable muffler shop and ask them for photo's of their customer cars. See what they specialize in, if its stock replacements, or hot rods and custom piping.. Generally the hot rod guys love doing buisness under the table (cash only) and will give you a good deal and take care of your car while your doing it, as they are used to high end cars coming in for serious $$ exhausts.. While your there, see if they will put in on the rack and (take pics) give you an estimate.. then once you've done some research on muffler prices, ebay stuff, ect.. then you can make your decision.

Andrew
pete-stevers
yup i agree with craig...traid west.....good guy ....sounds ubber cool....and well built and great finish!!
904svo
Look at a Walker 22385 muffler is the same one Bursch uses on there exhaust system.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 11 2007, 02:04 PM) *

You need to find out if you already have SS heat exhangers.
Alot of cars were shipped from the factory with them.

I don't think that's correct. A lot of cars have had them installed post-factory, though.

More important than exactly what material the exchangers are made out of is if they are the eary (70-74) type or the late (75-76) type.

--DD
rhodyguy
when back dating to the earlier setup, either 1.7/1.8 or 2.0, you also need to source the correct heat related duct work.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.