Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Timesert
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
solex
Hi,
I'm about to install a timesert in the head to fix a pulled out exhaust stud and was wondering if anyone had some tips on keeping the drill straight when drilling and tapping the hole? The engine is in the car and I will be on my back...

Thank you,
Dan
jimkelly
wear eye protection and get a good light on the area.

SGB
Don't drill all the way at first. go just a little way, then see if you can get the tap to start before it has less to grab at the tip. Get a decent T-shaped tap handle so you can put some muscel behind it. I lay on a creeper in sich a way that I could wedge one hand between the t handle and my shoulder so that I could push against my wrist with my upper body while I turned the tap. Use WD-40 or some other lubricant liberally. For me the hardest part was getting the tap to bite- I kept digging a hole until I used my shoulder. The head material doesnt shave, but flakes.
So.Cal.914
If you follow the instructions above be careful, taps are very brittle and will

snap if over stressed. And if it does you will have one hell of a time getting the

broken tap out. Easy does it, turn the tap in a little and then back out, in and out

adding lube as you go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.