Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Sub Forum suggestion. . . .
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type47fan
Throwin' something out for consideration. . . .with all of the various "rustorations" in progress, it seems that the general community could benefit from having them centralized in their own sub forum area. There's a wealth of innovative work that has been documented over the past few years by many enthusiasts (stock rebuilds, Felix's NEO914, Martin Baker's GT, all the 914 V8 and Subaru hybrid conversions, etc) and I think it deserves being consolidated in its own area. How about a (edited 19FEB07) "Completed Restoration/Build/Modification Section"?

I know we've got a blog section where individuals can document their changes. Just seems easier to handle it like the Classics or Vendor sub sections. . . .

That's my opinion. What's yours?

Thanks,
Martin Baker
Good idea, I second the motion. Like this is some sort of organization...LOL
watsonrx13
I agree wholeheartly....

Here's my donation.... second project

If you do create this new sub-forum, please move mine...

-- Rob
Rand
I agree with the premise. But I also like to just come check in at the garage without having to hit a bunch of different subforums to find everything.

In the mean time, if everyone who does a restoration thread will put "restoration" in the title, then a quick search could pull them all up.

Anyway... Just an opinion and counterpoint to throw in the mix. smile.gif
shoguneagle
I think this is a great idea. When it is done and if it has the quality of information in it, make it a Classic Thread.

As soon as I get the title to my chassis straightened out, I will be building a 3.2 914-6. It will include rust repairs: we have had some great work done by members; electrical: connection of engine harness and car wiring harness; fuel pump and related fuses/relays including DME Motronic Injection; Interior: upholstry, seals, dash, etc.; Front Suspension and Steering: Carrera suspension, swaybar, torsion bars, shocks, etc.; Rear Suspension: springs and shocks with variable mounts; rear sway bar; etc.; Brakes: Carrera brakes front and back; 911 ebrake system; etc.; Drive Shafts: 914/911 with 944/911 CV joints; etc.; 17 inch Cup II rims: spacers; appropriate tires; flared fenders; etc.; Other systems and items needing information and advice.

I know I will need at least a sounding board to discuss information, techniques, and methods along with materials and products to use.

I think this a great idea.

I would like to have something like this with reference threads to others who have built their conversions including other fours, sixes, eights, etc.

These are my thoughts.

Steve Hurt
jim_hoyland
agree.gif It would be a major upgrade !
ChrisPaegelow
I agree, that's a pretty good idea!!!
type47fan
icon_bump.gif

Admins. . . any thoughts, on this suggestion, one way or another?

Thanks,
Rusty
My personal opinion follows... I've been working nights and haven't really had time to follow much lately. sad.gif

I kind of like the idea... a subforum to the Classics section. Once a progress thread is complete, it gets moved there. smile.gif
type47fan
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Feb 18 2007, 03:21 AM) *

I kind of like the idea... a subforum to the Classics section. Once a progress thread is complete, it gets moved there. smile.gif

Works for me!

Thanks,
McMark
My thoughts.....use the blog button at the top of the page. wink.gif
i love porsche
im not too keen on the idea...then there is another forum to check, ...when you keep your thread in the main forum, when you post it comes to the top..so everyone sees it...in a separate forum, less people will see it...not everyone checks every forum
type47fan
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Feb 18 2007, 05:45 PM) *

im not too keen on the idea...then there is another forum to check, ...when you keep your thread in the main forum, when you post it comes to the top..so everyone sees it...in a separate forum, less people will see it...not everyone checks every forum

Fine, this is the way it is now. What I'm talking about dead horse.gif is having the build threads in one easily accessable area for convenient future and frequent REFERENCE. There must be 20+ build threads. Putting them in a special area when they're completed is good. At some point I'd like to browse through them all looking for possible solutions to issues I'm having with my build. Right now, most of what people have done is buried and difficult/time consuming to call up.

I've lurked on this board for three years and can't remember, right now, specifically more than four or five build threads. Someone who is doing modifications and happened to sign up recently is missing a great resource potential, IMHO.

Anyway, thanks for listening. . . .
i love porsche
oh...i guess i misunderstood you...a section for completed projects...that is a good idea
Aaron Cox
hmmm... i think i misunderstood the original intent also.

I like everything in one place (or as few as possible) because it gets the most exposure that way. The whole garage gets to see what you are working on.

I could *possibly* see a 'tag' feature, that mcmark mentioned, where you could tag a thread as OT/resto/classic/etc and that could add to the search criteria....

hmmm. still on the fence, but thats just my personal opinion.
Joe Bob
Nothing is stopping anyone from heading the threads "BUILD THREAD" and then letting the search function bring them up.
type47fan
blink.gif Okay, uncle, I give! Henceforth and from now on, will everyone posting a build thread, please put "BUILD THREAD" in the heading?

If you have a build that has been completed and buried in the past, can you find it and change the heading to include "BUILD THREAD"?

Thanks,

QUOTE(mikez @ Feb 19 2007, 06:17 PM) *

Nothing is stopping anyone from heading the threads "BUILD THREAD" and then letting the search function bring them up.
byndbad914
I have to admit I damn near wear myself out going to all the different forums these days since the big breakup of 06, so having more categories at each forum starts to sound like a really bad idea.

But on this issue, I kinda like the idea of having a forum for builds of all types and not just necessarily finished projects even. Actually I tend to really just like to follow the projects specifically and the garage covers way more than that.

I agree to limit the quantity of categories, but I like that one... so one more vote for that if it is possible.
andys
I like the idea for completed projects, but not for yet-to-be-completed projects. Some yet-to-be-completed projects that may seem to be of no interest sometimes have neat ideas buried in them and would otherwise go un-noticed.
Thanks,
Andys
seanery
I like the idea of BUILD THREAD in the title...I already miss a lot of psts what with the paddock and the originality forum, etc... confused24.gif
grantsfo
I'm not sure hacking up this site is a good idea. Its hard enough keeping track of everything between 914club and here let alone putting stuff into sub folders. Please keep this site as close to the 914club.com site as possible. Its just easier to find things that way.
Rusty
Hahahahahahaha!

chairfall.gif
gopack
can someone refresh my memory on how to rename a thread? i never have been able to make it work.
( i misspelled "official" and that is the way I search for my restoration thread!)
Rusty
Go to the page where your thread is located... hold your mouse pointer over the thread name... click and hold.

You can only edit the title & subtitle of your own threads.

// break //

Back on topic... if there is a build thread that anyone would like to nominate for Classic status... we can certainly move it to that forum! (The thread has to be complete, though, because there is no posting in the Classics area.)
ClayPerrine
Personally, I like keeping everything in one forum. It makes for more visibility. But a tagging feature would be good. Then if you are looking for something, you can narrow the search down by the tag.

An example would be the Fark. website. They sort stuff by tags, but you don't have to use them. Then if you want to sort by all of the "florida" tagged links, you can.

But if we do that, someone has to go back and tag all the old threads... headbang.gif
cooltimes
A sub menu in that sub forum to select a numbered sequenced restoration, etc from:
Example :
1. clays 914
2. Rustys 914
3. MikeZ 914
4. etc.
5. and so forth

You click on the described number. What you click is what you see.
No sub links as that gets you totally out of what you went in to see.

Rusty
Z doesn't have a 914... but he knows that this crowd is more fun than the 356 crowd... biggrin.gif
cooltimes
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Feb 20 2007, 01:04 PM) *

Z doesn't have a 914... but he knows that this crowd is more fun than the 356 crowd... biggrin.gif

I can imagine that just as Arnold says in his Terminator role, " I'll be back" MikeZ will be too but his cuz Guido may be the "terminator" part of his tale. He is always finding them, fixing em up, etc so maybe he can show us what he does to them in the new forum if that happens.
Rusty
Of course he'll be back... the experience is more important to Mike than the image. smile.gif

"Substance over symbolism" always wins for quality people.
cooltimes
Seriously, this link is one that needs to be included in that "new forum". I have no interest or association but think it is important for this subject of restoration.

http://www.belmetric.com/images/2004_pdf/B...4%20Catalog.pdf

Very big pdf file so download and save it for reference. If you are restoring and need some small 914 type hardware part you can't find, this may be where you'll find it.
Note that all 40 pages of parts are actual size so you can compare.

Just doing my duty of being a good 914 buddy.
McMark
If we are going to do the BUILD THREAD: idea, you can PM an admin with threads you find and we can contact the originator to get permission to change their thread title.
type47fan
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 20 2007, 12:07 PM) *

If we are going to do the BUILD THREAD: idea, you can PM an admin with threads you find and we can contact the originator to get permission to change their thread title.

. . .now we're rollin'. . . .thanks for all the input. . . .
SirAndy
how about a subforum where we post a LINK to all the build threads?

a build thread in the main forum will eventually get buried after a while and it'll be hard to search for all of them.

if we had a place where we could have a list of links to all the build threads in one place, i think that would do the trick ...

idea.gif Andy
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 24 2007, 07:01 PM) *

how about a subforum where we post a LINK to all the build threads?

a build thread in the main forum will eventually get buried after a while and it'll be hard to search for all of them.

if we had a place where we could have a list of links to all the build threads in one place, i think that would do the trick ...

idea.gif Andy

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.