Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing Wheel Bearings Using a MIG Welder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
I have posted this before but finally took some pictures of the process. I never beat out races out my hubs because it always damages the "seat" where the races press against and it can cock the race as a result.

If you run a bead around the race and let it cool, it will shrink and you can push the race out by hand and never touch it with a tool. If it won't come, run another bead.

The picture with the pencil shows the lip that gets damaged when you beat them out with a drift and hammer.

To reinstall, I heat the hub with an oven or sometimes my torch with a large rose bud. I have the press set up with all the tools ready so they can be quickly installed.
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Twystd1
That is also the easiest way to remove valve seats that I know of.

Cept I use a TIG.

C
Andyrew
Nice mig bead! Just perfect enough penitration so as it is just topical enough to shrink the bearing when it cools!!

Nice..
Mueller
or you heat the entire hub in an oven, the alum will expand much faster...

neat idea with the welder, never thought of it !!!!
andys
Paul,

Any potential issues with changing the condition or even going past the critical temperature of the aluminum? That seems like an awful lot of heat to transfer into the hub area immediately aroung the race. Just a thought.

Andys
morph
idea.gif this is why i love this board i learn things i NEVER have thought of
james
PRS914-6
QUOTE(andys @ Feb 12 2007, 10:13 AM) *

Paul,

Any potential issues with changing the condition or even going past the critical temperature of the aluminum? That seems like an awful lot of heat to transfer into the hub area immediately aroung the race. Just a thought.

Andys

Been doing it for 30 years with no ill effects. The aluminum next to it is cold and has a lot of mass and absorbs the heat very quickly. No discoloration under the race so I feel it's pretty safe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.