Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling Sacramento teeners...work party Febuary 17th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biosurfer1
Here is what I have set out as far as work for next weekend.

1. Install new brake calipers/pads/lines
2. Install rebuilt tranny/ convert shift linkage to sideshift/ new bushings
3. Install new stainless steel fuel lines

Thats about it for next weekend besides check things out "while I'm in there" to get the next list going.

Anyone who would like to help, it would be much appreciated. I have most of the tools needed (expect the lift). I'm hoping to have it all done Saturday so I can enjoy it Sunday, but it all depends on how slow I am and getting stuff done. I'm hoping to get a few experts in the garage to point me in the right direction.

Plenty of burgers and beers for everyone. Post here or PM if you can make it!

Many thanks go out to the good Doctor for the tranny rebuild, Eric Shea for the work of art calipers, and Racer Chris for the fuel lines.

Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
I will try and make it. PM me the location info...is the engine out of the car?

Martin
biosurfer1
no, engine is still in the car, justin and I may be able to drop it this week though.
Justinp71
Its easier to change the tranny with the motor in the car, then to remove the engine and replace the tranny and then put the assembly back in.

I can make it over for a while, I need some time to get my gauges in my car this week.

biosurfer1
i knew you were going to be there cause you dont have a choice:)

i'll talk more with you tonight in class...

if it is a huge pain and time consuming to do the fuel lines, that can wait. the lines arnt bad, i would just feel better with the steel ones in there...but that is something i could do when the new engine is together down the line.
biosurfer1
icon_bump.gif

got 1 for sure and working on guilting Martin into coming...for the teener's sake!!

anyone else interested in hanging out?
Chris Pincetich
I am on the same schedule! Goin to try to get the engine dropped this week and do the side-shift conversion this weekend. Watching and helping this weekend in Sac would be a great confidence builder....and set back my schedule a little. We'll see as the weekend approaches if I am free or even close to "on schedule"

PM me your location + contact info please - I might just wake up Sat AM and drive out there.

Also - the Pelican Tech article "Check List" for engine drop tools is not working for me. Can you tell me what exact "special tools" are needed? I think I need a M10 12-point for the CV bolts and M10 6 point for the engine bar/body bolts??? Anything else out of the ordinary?

I'm gonna drop some serious change with the Snap-On guy this week and buy the 5-75lb torque wrench to compliment my old Craftsman 50-250.

This will be my first engine drop personally, but my 1.7 was professionally installed only 1 year ago so nothin should be rusted solid. beerchug.gif
biosurfer1
One last check to see if anyone else can make it tomorrow...

10am start time, let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you the info.

Tobra
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Feb 16 2007, 07:38 AM) *

One last check to see if anyone else can make it tomorrow...

10am start time, let me know if you're interested and I'll PM you the info.

I would be down, it is about 4 PM. You are probably already done, will PM cell phone #

I have one of those vacuum brake bleeders, little brass pump, flare nut wrenckes too, which would probably be handy. One man brake bleeding. I have a creeper too that I could bring, sorry to contact after the horse is out of the barn, so to speak
biosurfer1
well we got quite a bit done today, although not everything. Since only 1 guy showed up, the time table got a bit screwed up, but I think we made a lot of progress.

Got the old tranny out, and the new tranny mounted. Got all of the old shift linkage out. Starting working on one of the rear calipers.

I have a full day tomorrow, but I hope to wrap up at least the calipers and linkage monday. I have to get some gaskets for the half shafts before I can finish the tranny, so that will most likely wait until next weekend.

When I started working on the new bushings, I got to the firewall bushing and I started to wonder about it. I have searched quite a bit and I know of all the ways to get it in, but I also wondered about the actual bushing. When I had a 911, I did all the bushings in that too and ran into almost the same problem. I ordered a bushing from Pelican and it looked almost exactly the same as the firewall one, same hard plastic and all, only it was the 911 shift rod bushing. I went through the same problems with that bushing as this firewall bushing. Plastic was too hard, difficult to work with. When I contacted Pelican, they sent me another bushing that was the same, but it was black plastic and much softer plastic, and went in with only a little effort...after reading posts from guys, some saying it was very easy, other saying they had a hell of a time, and I wonder if this could be the same situtation?

I tried boiling mine for 5 minutes and it was just as hard as ever. I'm going to try an use the washer tool idea tomorrow, but I was hoping someone (maybe Dave?) is reading and could check to see if the weltmiester bushing is the only one...I have a feeling its not.

more updates to come
Tobra
I think the black one is poly urethane.

I thought I saw a thread where the FW bushing was in?
biosurfer1
it is now, my last post on this thread was 2 days ago:)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.