Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping an Engine..best way...how much...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I have my 914 1.8 motor on ebay and I have some offers to close the auction with the buy it now. In my auction I had stated I won't ship, but I would put the engine on a pallet if the buyer would arrange for a truck to come by and pick it up.

For example one of the buyers wants to ship it from Visalia, CA (me) to WA state.

How much does a 914 1.8 complete FI motor weigh?

Do you know of a trucking service that does this...if so, what is an approximate shipping cost?

I don't want to get in a situation where someone ends the auction then finds the shipping costs makes them not want to follow through.

Appreciate your help,
r_towle
the fastest and best way I know is to ship it via YELLOW FREIGHT.

they are the cheapest.
the catch is that you need to load the motor, on pallet, and drive to the closest yellow freight terminal.
They will get it out with a fork lift.

If you want door to door...you pay big bucks, and you will need to guarantee that you have a fork lift (driver will not help)

So, with an item this heavy, I get a few friends, load it into the back of a pickup truck on the pallet, drive to the depot alone..they will take it off with a fork lift, and you are all set.

Dont expect cheap door to door service when shipping a motor...you need to get involved or the price of shipping is more than the price of a motor..

buyer needs to pick it up at the freight terminal on the other end.
Yellow has a good web site with locations, pricing etc.

Tell them 350 LBS, on a pallet for pricing.

Rich
Matt Romanowski
Almost all freight companies will deliver to a residential address with a lift gate - it's usually around $150 bucks more than getting it at the terminal.

Rich is spot on about bringing it to the terminal. Beware though, some terminals are whiney about taking things out the back of a pickup.

Pricing also depends on where it's starting from and where it's going. Depending on the routes, different companies are cheaper. I would try Yellow, UPS (formerly overnight) Fed Ex Freight, and R+L.
banger
I have always had good experiences with Fedex freight. Much better than I had with Yellow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.