Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear stub axle Q
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Hi,
Let me see if I can ask this the right way.

I want to use the rear brake setup from the 914 on a ghia IRS rear end. (Im keeping this simple for now)

So, can I use the ghia stub axle and slip the rotor on that, or do I need to change the stub axle, and CV joint also.

Ideally I would like to use as much if the ghia parts as I can thereby not have to deal with the 914 CV joint and lack of availability.

So, 914 rotor on ghia stub axle?
I will weld on a bracket for the caliper.

Rich
GS Guy
Rich,
In my dealings with VW IRS, I don't believe any of the 914 brake/axle hardware will interchange with the VW IRS counterparts. Options are to fit the 914 rotor and caliper to the VW trailing arm.
Either the brake drum can be machined down (leaving just the inner hub portion) to fit inside the rotor, or just buy the CB chromoly hub for this. I think the T3 hub will also work, if you can find a pair. You'll have to fab up a custom bracket to allow bolting on the 914 caliper, which also provides the outer axle seal retainer plate "spacer" now that the brake drum backing plate is no longer there.
Used to be a guy that made the caliper adapters years ago, don't think they're around anymore.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.