Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack stand recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
plymouth37
I guess I am about to enter the ranks of the true 914 owners. I would like to start doing the body work on my car but the thing is so low that sanding the lower half of the car seems impossible. Can anyone recommend a nice tall jack stand that will safely lift the car maybe 2-3 feet? I have looked around the web and pretty much everything I have found looks about as stable as Courtney Love. How about some cheap ramps? Anything good out there? I really don’t feel dropping my car because I bought something designed by a monkey. Thanks for your help.
Dana.
jd74914
I got a set of "Goodyear" jack stands at Sam's Club that are really sturdy. The ones I got are good for 6 tons each and I have total confidence when lifting my car. I've had it about 2.5ft off the floor and felt totally confident with its stability.
bperry
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Feb 12 2007, 02:10 PM) *

I got a set of "Goodyear" jack stands at Sam's Club that are really sturdy. The ones I got are good for 6 tons each and I have total confidence when lifting my car. I've had it about 2.5ft off the floor and felt totally confident with its stability.

Out of curiosity, how do you get the car up that high? What are
you using for jacks?

--- bill
jd74914
Well, thats the more dangerous part laugh.gif

I have a big hydraulic floor jack, and I cut a spot for the jack saddle to fit into in 6x6 post thats about 12inch tall. Then I raise the car normally until I can fit the post under it and raise it higher after that.

Its probably not the safest way, but I've never had a problem.
John
If you realy plan on having the car that high to work on, I would recommend getting a pair of sawhorses to set the car on. They will be stable at that elevation.

Anything much less seems like a flimsy solution.

Why are you needing the car so high in the air?

If you strip the car down to a tub, you might consider building a rotissorie. There are plans available. I have posted a set a few times.

just my $0.02
r_towle
JP Stein built 4 plywood boxes on wheels.

Plywood boxes, built properly, are very very strong.
Get good casters and you can roll it around also.

Look up JP Steins pictures, and some of his worj threads and you will see his boxes...I dont think he hangs out here, but he does hand out on the 914club.com site, and he is very very helpful...
He may even have drawings for them
they place his car at 2-3 feet high.

I use truck jack stand, they go up to 2 feet.
I use a big floor jack, and I actually use blocks of plywood to raise the floor...I.e I put them under the jack instead of the block on top...
I never liked the 6*6 leg needed to do it, so I use a whole lot of wood under the jack to jack the car up in stages.

Rich
plymouth37

Why are you needing the car so high in the air?

I want to get this cars body straight, i meen really really straight, which means a ton of sanding. I would rather wheel around on an office chair to sand than bend over and trash my back.
thanks for all of your advice guys!
Brian_Boss
I have a pair of these:
12 ton jack stands

I bought them for 911 engine removal. They extend to 30" and are very stable (at least they are with a sports car on them).

I don't know if they go on sale from time to time. I think I remember paying ~$60 for mine.
URY914
I made a set of these to get the car up a little higher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.