orthobiz
Cars.com 914 search:
14 cars, 6 yellow

eBay:
7 cars with pictures
2 yellow

markd's color site:
6 yellow colors

I'm going to look at a yellow car this weekend.
I've owned three 914's: signal orange, Zambezi green
and black.

Guess I'm way behind, time to catch up!

biz
Crazyhippy
They are so popular because the yellow cars are the fastest...
porschecb
Acording to the International 914 Registry there are 94 yellow cars that are still running. 17 more are on jack stands (as of 01/24/07) and 32 more are rollers. I hope this helps.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Feb 12 2007, 07:19 PM) *

They are so popular because the yellow cars are the fastest...

Question is....what's the fastest color 914? With a 914 engine, that is.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(porschecb @ Feb 12 2007, 09:02 PM) *

Acording to the International 914 Registry there are 94 yellow cars that are still running. 17 more are on jack stands (as of 01/24/07) and 32 more are rollers. I hope this helps.

Cool----we have 3 of them right here in good old Fargo, ND, and they are all different in some way. The fourth one burned up about 10 years ago, because the garage door opener failed over an open car: burning plastic, wires, and assorted crap fell down into the upholstery and...........cinders.
Of course this occured after a fresh monster motor was just installed and everything turned to puke. The owner nearly went catatonic.

74 2.0 4 cyl. 69,000 actual-- light tan vinyl interior- original Great Falls , Mt.
74 2.0 4 cyl. 21,000 actual--dark brown corduroy interior ( factory )--Bismarck, ND
70 2.0 sixer. wide body M471 with black interior -Clearwater , Fl.
All now here in their garages tucked away till spring.

The last two are owned by the same guy who has another sixer, one that just sold, and another 2.0/4 , a 75 in black. He also owned a 14,000 mile Delphi Green 2.0 that also just went away.

Nearly all are flawless, near perfect examples, with serious love and attention paid to them . No winters, zero rust and no hell hole problems or battery tray blight. The yellow cars are all Sunflower, and the 70 was painted to match them.
Eric_Shea
No. The question is....what's the fastest color of YELLOW on a 914?

Since a day on Saturn is only 10 hours 47 minutes and 6 seconds (plus or minus 40seconds) I would say it's roughly 2.2266666 times faster than earths' 67,000 miles per hour. And, since a Canary can only fly 25 -30mph... one would deduce, Saturn Yellow is much faster than Canary yellow. And... everyone knows sunflowers aren't very fast at all! cool_shades.gif
porschecb
So!! If my caluculations are correct there 32.9 yellow 914 left??????? How can this be???? My car was berber yellow (when bought new). Now it is another color. (not by my choice) But still!!!!!! I am confused! blink.gif blink.gif confused24.gif popcorn[1].gif
SteveL
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 12 2007, 06:55 PM) *

Cool----we have 3 of them right here in good old Fargo, ND, and they are all different in some way. The fourth one burned up about 10 years ago, because the garage door opener failed over an open car: burning plastic, wires, and assorted crap fell down into the upholstery and...........cinders.
Of course this occured after a fresh monster motor was just installed and everything turned to puke. The owner nearly went catatonic.

74 2.0 4 cyl. 69,000 actual-- light tan vinyl interior- original Great Falls , Mt.
74 2.0 4 cyl. 21,000 actual--dark brown corduroy interior ( factory )--Bismarck, ND

The last two are owned by the same guy who has another sixer, one that just sold, and another 2.0/4 , a 75 in black. He also owned a 14,000 mile Delphi Green 2.0 that also just went away.

Nearly all are flawless, near perfect examples, with serious love and attention paid to them . No winters, zero rust and no hell hole problems or battery tray blight. The yellow cars are all Sunflower, and the 70 was painted to match them.

By any chance do those cars belong to Riley Rogers? I met him a number of years back and he had a near perfect low, mileage yellow 2.0.
jagalyn
QUOTE(SteveL @ Feb 12 2007, 08:09 PM) *

By any chance do those cars belong to Riley Rogers? I met him a number of years back and he had a near perfect low, mileage yellow 2.0.

Yep. Those are Riley's. His yellow one has 14,000 original miles. The Delphi Green one that he sold (used to be mine) had 22,000 and is now out on the east coast. I'm in the Twin Cities doing a restoration on a 74 LE and own a 73 with 38,250 miles. What do you have?
j.
orthobiz
And Summer lasts 3 months, so Summer Yellow must be somewhat faster than a Sunflower.

biz
Eric_Shea
And Summer lasts 3 months

(only 2 months in Cadillac) w00t.gif
r_towle
YELLOW is the slowest color for a 914.
There are only 32 because they are also the most unreliable colored cars. the whole Yellow is fast thing was busted on Mythbusters in the last season.

The cars tend to fade into the backround as the faster red and black cars wiz by...

Ah yes...then the ever rare (only two in existence) aubergine....to fast for words.

Rich
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 13 2007, 12:16 AM) *

Yep. Those are Riley's. His yellow one has 14,000 original miles. The Delphi Green one that he sold (used to be mine) had 22,000 and is now out on the east coast. I'm in the Twin Cities doing a restoration on a 74 LE and own a 73 with 38,250 miles. What do you have?
j.

Yes Riley owns the Sunflower M471, the other sixer...Tangerine, the black 75 -2.0/ 4 and the real low mile 74 Sunflower 2.0, that's a dead ringer to my # 00089- 74. We show the 2 side by side at some of our PCA events locally and its sure fun to watch the people: look ! TWINS !!
He also owns an 85/2 Black 944 NA...and we have a Guards Red 84- M030 / 944.
My wife and I have competed with it both locally and at Parade and won the trip to Germany back at Monterey in '90. Now THAT was a Trip ! Porsche did it all up VERY First Class----There for nearly a month and got a factory 944 S-2 in silver to drive everywhere. Put on about 6800 KM. Saw them building cars at Stuttgart, went to all their musuems, and saw LOTS of 968's running the countryside doing tests on the two lane roads, just before they intro'd. Some in disguise and some not. Also got to do the Nurburgring as guests pf Porsche Club Germany. Got to be taught the ring !?! by a guy running a 911 RSR--- IN YELLOW !
boxstr
I have four yellow 914s at CAMP 914.
CCLINOLYELLER
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 12 2007, 08:50 PM) *

YELLOW is the slowest color for a 914.
There are only 32 because they are also the most unreliable colored cars. the whole Yellow is fast thing was busted on Mythbusters in the last season.

The cars tend to fade into the backround as the faster red and black cars wiz by...

Ah yes...then the ever rare (only two in existence) aubergine....to fast for words.

Rich

They only look slow because when they blow by you it gives you the sensation

of going backwards, thus the yellow one looks parked. blink.gif
ClayPerrine
Yea, sure... Yellow cars are fast.

Just ask these guys..

IPB Image

owned.gif
r_towle
Right, I wanna be a part of that car club!!!

ahdoman
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 13 2007, 05:22 AM) *

Yea, sure... Yellow cars are fast.

Just ask these guys..

IPB Image

owned.gif

Thanks Clay - us yellow guys have a hard enough time with our image without being thrown into the "ricer" crowd! Here's my running 2.0 74 sunflower yellow. It takes a real man to not be ashamed to admit he drives a "sunflower" yellow car!
r_towle
So, this whole yellow is faster thing is really a cover up for an insecure group of 32 guys that need to support each other through this phase in their lives...till they get an aubergine car..or a red one...

IC..it all makes sense now..

and Clay is the ring leader??

Rich
balljoint
mad.gif

Click to view attachment

Sunflower Yellow. And it is fast. And as soon as I get a hold of some of Alpha's secrets it will be SCARY fast.

blink.gif

biggrin.gif
SteveL
[quote name='jagalyn' date='Feb 12 2007, 08:16 PM' post='862390']

[/quote]

j.
[/quote]

I have a 74 1.8 driver that will hopefully someday get a full restoration. We'll have to try to get together sometime - I would LOVE to see those 2 cars!
GWN7
I have a sunflower yellow car and it's fast....currently orbiting the sun @ 67,000 mph
davep
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Feb 12 2007, 04:10 PM) *

markd's color site:
6 yellow colors

Huh? I only know 4
L11D Berber Yellow
L11E Canary / Lemon Yellow
L13K Sun / Sunflower / Summer Yellow
L13M Saturn / Chrome Yellow

4.5 if you really want to stretch to include
L99A Metallic Delphi Green / Saturn / Chrome Yellow
that is more of an olive-gold color
carr914
-6 #138
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2007, 08:35 AM) *

So, this whole yellow is faster thing is really a cover up for an insecure group of 32 guys that need to support each other through this phase in their lives...till they get an aubergine car..or a red one...

IC..it all makes sense now..

and Clay is the ring leader??

Rich

Uhhh.. I don't think so...

I have a RED 914, not chicken shit yellow .... poke.gif
Matt Meyer
QUOTE(davep @ Feb 13 2007, 08:26 AM) *

Huh? I only know 4
L11D Berber Yellow
L11E Canary / Lemon Yellow
L13K Sun / Sunflower / Summer Yellow
L13M Saturn / Chrome Yellow

Come on give the guy a break that is 6:

Berber Yellow
Canary Yellow
Sunflower Yellow
Summer Yellow
Saturn Yellow
Chrome Yellow

It is all in the name baby!

What kind of girlie-man would drive a sunflower yellow car. sheesh.

Matt Meyer 1975 - SUMMER Yellow cool.gif

OK seriously though on Mark's site the sunflower yellow and summer yellow pictures do not look the same on my monitor. I assume they are the exact same color.

Slight Hijack:

I had a door panel painted and had them paint it "L13K". It is much less "bright" than the rest of the car. But who knows what yellow the PO oversprayed the rest of the car the 3rd time.

Then a friend had an original yellow El Camino resprayed to paint code. The color was "less bright" than the original paint job. The old time painter said it was because they have eliminated the lead from the paints. Bright colors especially yellow are most affected. Anyone else heard this before? I should hit up the 356 guys. I know there was some work with Glasurit on this.
Eric_Shea
-6 #138

Love the Manatee plow on the front biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Then a friend had an original yellow El Camino resprayed to paint code. The color was "less bright" than the original paint job. The old time painter said it was because they have eliminated the lead from the paints. Bright colors especially yellow are most affected. Anyone else heard this before? I should hit up the 356 guys. I know there was some work with Glasurit on this.

You have to be extremely cautious when simply ordering paint "to code". It took over 1 week to get the right Tangerine for Gint's -6. Troy used the inside of a door for a sample. Try to find some spot on the car that has not been painted and has not seen the light.

And yes, paint composition changes almost weekly... wacko.gif You really have to be hands on if you want an "original", "original" color.
burton73
My new old factory number #41 914-6 was yellow and is now brown and will be changed to Metallic Blue. As far as what is the fastest I have no idea. My wife of 25 years used to say that people in green cars are the worst drivers.

Bob
carr914
Eric, the nurf bar is in my junk parts pile. Now I need to send both bumpers to be straightened and rechromed. Yes there was a nurf bar on the rear too.

T.C.
flesburg
I do not want to start something, but my red de car was sunflower yellow when new. I had some intermittent running problems when it was new, one involving the electrical connection to the injector on No. 3 cylinder, and the second with a throttle position sensor which would fault and momentarily (or longer, up to a few minutes) shut off the engine.

My wife (still my wife 33 years later) named it the lemon, and used to make frequent comments about the lemon. So some 25 years ago I painted it red, and said to myself, no more yellow cars.

I sure do like the new yellows though. Porsche, Ferrari, Corvette and even the Vipers all look great in yellow, but not for me, since I am sure she would call it the lemon car again.
Coy
My silver 74 started off as a Yellow 2.0, but the PO changed it. To tell you the truth I always like non-colors like white, black and gray(silver) best, but that's just me. But, when you get a bunch of 914s together in one place, silver always looks the least exciting. Then I always like the more colorful ones.

As for matching colors, any color spec (in paint or ink) is actually a range of acceptable variance. There will always be paint at the high end of the scale and at the low end that are still within spec for any color. The new color can be to spec, but still not match the previous paint. Try matching white...
Pat Garvey
Wow, you guys have soo many yellas. Us red dudes only have bahia (h is not pronounced), malaga and a couple of special ordered guards red.

Is there an Old Yeller yella?

Somehow I missed the technical explanation as to why the yella 914's are faster. There IS a technical explanation isn't there? And whch of the multitude of yella 914's is scientifically the fastest? Curious mind wants to know.

This should be fun!!!!
scotty b
Yellow may be faster but orange is orgasmic and silver is just plain SEXY !!!!!
burton73
Porsche colors.. I have had a number of Porsches over the years and the ones that where not metallic colors where just like a bag of M&M. I had a
70 911S that was a light green, a 73 911S that was light Brown, 78 911SC that was red a 79 911SC that dark brown, 81 911SC that was bright orange, 73 914 black, another black 914. Open up a bag of M&Ms and you have a lot of the creative color line up. …

Bob
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(jagalyn @ Feb 13 2007, 12:16 AM) *

j.

Are you Jeff G. ? The one who had the Delphi green 2.0 ? HOW....but I mean HOW could you have parted company with that car ? It was a beautiful low mile example and the guy who got it after Riley sold it's......gonna use it UP ? What's up with that ? I do NOT know how all 3 of you could have passed on this little queen as being one of the ultimate keepers..... If he had not $old it for $uch huge number$ , I would have been next in the line of owner$.....and no one would have pried it out of my grip till death had done its thing with me.
Just my twist on things....

Maybe I'm so far "right" of center on this issue , because I finally woke up after selling some really pristine and cool collectors:( i.e.- 58 Impala Cpe. in tropical turquoise....now a hunderd grand car, a 71 V-12 E-type made in the first month of production; (another car creeping up to that hunnerd number), a 74 BMW 2002 in Malaga Red, and a 76 SS Nova....Orange, black stripes - one of 2200 made.
No more sales for this guy....its hoard , hoard, hoard, till the Reaper arrives.

And mrgreenjeans isn't letting Mr. Helmut Mello out of sight for one minute. He took a long time in arriving at my door and I Cannot, Will not, let him disappear. Its just such a rocking nana.gif little bugger. Just ask Riley how I feel......in some ways I am a little more icon8.gif than he is........

OK. ....you asked what I have...so go to my member profile and you will now unnerstand how confused24.gif this guy really is.
Talk soon ! mrgreenjeans
orthobiz
Just back from PA. Gave myself a 500 mile driving limit and...this baby was 500 miles EXACTLY. First car I looked at and didn't buy it. But, it's YELLOW!!!!
orthobiz
Hope to get the pic to post,

Paul
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Feb 18 2007, 02:30 AM) *

Hope to get the pic to post,

Paul

What a Car ! Dead ringer to ours, but different rims , and we have the light tan interior. Was the rest ----internally and bottomside, as great as the top appears ? This looked like a sweetie.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(SteveL @ Feb 13 2007, 12:09 AM) *

Steve L.....

Have we met before at any PCA events put on by our local Nord Stern group ? What car is it you have ...is it the white one we saw at the track last summer at BIR ? Trying to remember, but saw so many and had such a great time , I get lost in the shuffle........see my member profile for a little info and maybe you remember us. We had the red 944 with Fuchs on it,up there last year. Also went to the North Shore tour in the fall with same.....the teener, hasn't been to the track for a few years to the trackside "concour".

The other cars Riley has ....have you been to his Garage-mahal ?

The pristine NSX, two sixers, the 2 four cyl. 2.0's, or the BMW -M3 ? It's like Nirvana walking into the place and just drooling from every orifice.

Send me some info.....mrgreenjeans
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 13 2007, 07:59 PM) *

Eric, the nurf bar is in my junk parts pile. Now I need to send both bumpers to be straightened and rechromed. Yes there was a nurf bar on the rear too.

T.C.

I think if memory serves correctly......these were made by Emco and supplied by the dealer as aftermarket ware.....for the truly visual challenged amonst us.

I seem to think I have seen these hanging on the parts shelves of the old Allen's Autohaus, here, that sold Bugs, Vanagons, Teeners, and the occasional 911.

I would think somewhere, a guy with holes in his bumpers would be looking for these to add to his car, if they were good, as replacements for the ones that got twisted up when they threw that occasional "wandering " manatee back in the bay......it just wouldn't be me.

Manatee catcher ! Funny.......here it would be known as a cow catcher or a deer slayer. Defintely not PC to think they were for scooting little old ladies across the sidewalk. But ,

could be used as such in a pinch.......
mrgreenjeans
Joe Bob
Yellow hides the rust the bestest...

rfuerst911sc
I have a 1975 that is L11D Berber Yellow that I'm sure is not on any registry because it has been off the road since 1991. I purchased the rolling chassis in December and will convert to a 6 with flares,911 front suspension,5 lug rear conversion etc. When I repaint it will be yellow again just not sure it will be Berber as I think I want it a brighter yellow. It appears to be fast on the jackstands biggrin.gif . I'll know in about 2 years huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.