Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-covering dash face
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
I bought new basketweave face material for the front face of my dash (where the knobs and air controls are).

In looking at my current dash face, it appears that the vinyl has a metal plate integrated in it. Not sure if this is a '75/'76 thing or what.

So what's the best way to freshen up the dash face? Do I "make" a new metal plate?

What have others done?

Thanks!
biosurfer1
i have the stuff to do it to mine, just need the time now, i did take a look at what needs to be done and i dont see a metal plate in there(mine is a '74) seems to just be glued to the dash, however it also looks like the PO re-did the dash too, so there could have been that plate and he didnt replace it, let me know how it goes.
redshift
You just glue it on.

smile.gif

M
Qarl
Thanks. That solves everything.
redshift
No, that adheres everything.

If'n you want to solve something, best to use heat, and a solvent.

M
Brad Roberts
Give yourself plenty of time and DONT cut it the same way/size that the factory did. It will shrink later and leave you with a crappy dash.

Clean off the factory black steel facing and clean BOTH sides thoroughly. Use a razor blade and be careful.

Note that the back stickem stuff comes all the way to the edge. I use double stick tape (similar to what Porshe used on the back)

When you cut the new vinyl pieces.. cut them extra long so they actually hang over the steel backing plates. The idea here is to let the upper dash and lower dash hold the extra material in place with pressure. If you cut it the exact size... nothing you use will keep it glued to the steel pieces. I have made this mistake TWICE. Never again. let it hang off the tops/bottoms/sides.

I might even have pics somewhere.

b
tracks914
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 23 2003, 09:52 PM)
Give yourself plenty of time and DONT cut it the same way/size that the factory did. It will shrink later and leave you with a crappy dash.

Clean off the factory black steel facing and clean BOTH sides thoroughly. Use a razor blade and be careful.

When you cut the new vinyl pieces.. cut them extra long so they actually hang over the steel backing plates. The idea here is to let the upper dash and lower dash hold the extra material in place with pressure. If you cut it the exact size... nothing you use will keep it glued to the steel pieces. I have made this mistake TWICE. Never again. let it hang off the tops/bottoms/sides.

I just did mine this summer, and I listened to Brad!!! smile.gif
Once you have all the glue off, use a good paint thinner or acetone to remove the all the old glue residue. To reglue it, get the right stuff, automotive trim adhesive, and don't skimp on the cost unless you want to do it agian in three years.
The other thing I noticed with a '72, the radio plate being a different plate than the main dash plate, when I wrapped the material around to the back sides on the ends of the plates on the two plates, the radio plate didn't fit between dash plate and the glove box. I had to remove the radio plate and trim it to fit so that I could still wrap the material around to the back to keep it from shrinking.
When you buy new adhesive two sided tape to reattach the plates to the dash board, make sure to buy thick enough tape so that it is thicker than the material you wrapped around the back.
All in all it was easy and looks great. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.