Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relocating battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
do you guys see any problems relocating the battery to trunk temporarily because of dead battery box? I will splice the terminal cables and extend them with extra terminals into the trunk. Any problems with that? Is only temporary, have any of you ever done that?
JAred
J P Stein
Auggh....It's so bright in here I can't see.

See, Miles, I know bout paint. laugh.gif
J P Stein
Oh, yeah, battery in trunk. It can't or shouldn't be done.
It offends Brad's sensibilities.
Qarl
Not recommended for a non-sealed battery.

Use an Optima if you are going to do this... otherwise battery fumes will wreak havoc!
redshift
Lemme' see... tape... hmm tape... I see tape, tape... and more tape.

JP's about to do some body work!

laugh.gif

M
J P Stein
I painted the effin' walls & celing all effin' weekend, ya dufus. Work my ass off so's I could take this here pic and whadda'I get.....this effin' tape & body work BS headbang.gif
Qarl
Hey! Nice bookshelf on the wall! smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
You need those gay guys from TV to come over and straighten your crap out.

M
Qarl
Queer Eye for the 914 Guy!
boxstr
JP the walls look lovely, Now when are you putting in the crown moulding and chair rail?? wink.gif
CCLINHGTV
DrifterJay
Was a success!!!! used 2gauge wire and new terminals..just need to find a way to ventilate the trunk and mount the battery tray with drilling..probably going to use a big amount of velcro on bottom..will send pics of my abomination tomorrow when cleaned up.
Jared ar15.gif
DrifterJay
without drilling****
redshift
What!? Virgin birth!

laugh.gif

Now move it back.

M
URY914
You going to put that LawnBoy engine in your car???

Paul
rhodyguy
i'll tell you what. i know for a fact jp wasn't painting ALL weekend. he did eat a cheeseburger in castle rock.

kevin
boxstr
Kevin did JP have a CASTLE burger in Cstle Rock?? laugh.gif
CCLINBURGERVILLE
J P Stein
A Sliver Miner at the 49er....doublemeatdoublecheeseholdtheonions. I was so besotted that Kevin took advantage of me on the price of them early doors. laugh.gif Was a nice break from the painting, tho.

The doors will ad that extra little bit of "ugly" that the car needs, I figure. I'm thinking.... Rustolem severe rust primer....the brown/red stuff.
redshift
headbang.gif

Damnit man! It's an undercoating!

M
ss6
Hey JP -

What's all that white stuff in your trunk? Have you been seam welding, or did you leave a can of talcum powder in there during your last AX???
J P Stein
Most all the seams from the firewall to the trans mounts have been welded. The white stuff (light gray,actually) is....what else, primer smile.gif. I did that with the original conversion, bout 4-5 years ago.
Porsche Rescue
Kevin got you on the doors, got me on one window and one regulator. Be sure and weigh old and new so the 914 world will have hard data on how much weight you lost. I'm guessing 19 lbs. per with no glass or regulator. Wanna start a pool?
ThinAir
What is that other thing in your trunk on the left side?
Porsche Rescue
Since I'm sure you're dying to know, and JP won't be at his puter for a few hours, I'll answer. He calls it his "puke bottle". Breather hose from oil tank is connected to it. Container is very high tech. Once held candy from Costco. Nothing but the best for JP.
DrifterJay
what is the benefit of the "puke bottle" The hose on mine is cut pointing at the ground. Is the hose like an overflow thing anyways? Speaking of the hose, it is the one coming out next to the oil filler that is routed to his trunk anyways, right?
Porsche Rescue
He'll have to give you the details. I think it is the one nearest the filler. On a stock six with carbs it goes to the air cleaner to allow the oil vapor to be sucked through the intake. Vented to the ground or engine compartment can create a bit of a mess.
J P Stein
Jim's got it right, cept the jar contained mixed nuts.....seemed appropraite smile.gif

He's also right bout the routing, off the filler neck to the trunk puke can....the engine crankcase is vented to the oil tank.

For a futher explaination:
For a street machine, it's not really required. Venting to the carbs works. I've seen the venting done to a breather filter right off the neck to the engine room.....that gets messy. My puke can stays dry durring normal use.

For more strenuous use,the catch tank becomes required. Rather than carryng just mist from the crank case, it often carrys "lumps". With high G forces, the stock tank allows the oil to slosh around...even tho it's baffled. Couple that with the greater air movement from the crankcase at high rpms, oil lumps get blown into the catch tank. Prolly some aeration going on in there, also, increasing the volume

I've overflowed the thing....and it will hold more than a quart. I've found if I keep the oil level half way between the dipstick marks, I'll get a couple Oz. in it after 4-5 AX passes. Either way, you don't want that much going thru the carbs or injection system.

Prolly more than you wanted to know, eh?
maf914
JP, good info.

Venting to the ground may be okay for a street car (I've done it with my T4 without seeing any signs of liquid being spit out), but most competition rules require a catch can to prevent oiling of the track.

Mike
DrifterJay
well than I guess I have one more thing to do before my first autox..
Jared
J P Stein
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Nov 25 2003, 08:00 AM)
well than I guess I have one more thing to do before my first autox..
Jared

Well........
The catch can stayed dry during my first season or 2 of AX. laugh.gif

As "things" progressed,.....I came home from one and here's all this oil in the catch tank....WTF? Another odd ball
lesson in "unintended consequences". Early this last season, it was catching lots of oil.... A bit alarming till I figured out what was going on and learned to deal with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.