Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tightening alt/fan belt on six w/o firewall cut-out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i have to tighten my alt/fan belt on harlot's 3.0 and would like to know the tricks if any without cutting a hole in my firewall...or w/o shelling out big for a hot clewett set up....do i take out spacers...the belt is pretty loose...will i need make up a special wrench for the job??
pete-stevers
Whaat?? i guesse i could just run with out the fan belt for a little while....hmmm what happens next blink.gif ....Z didn't you use a bicycle wench ...er wrench for the job....
ClayPerrine
Changing the fan belt on a 914/6 is not easy. You have to have the wrench for the 911 engine that matches the fan. some have pins, and some have a hook. then you remove the nut and the shims. You install the new belt, the proper number of shims, and then the pulley, and then the leftover shims, and then the nut. You will probably have to do this a bunch of times, because you drop the shims into the well under the crank pulley.

It sucks at best.

Eric_Shea
I believe Clay recommends cutting a firewall access panel. That way you don't have to get your suit dirty. wink.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 15 2007, 12:35 PM) *

I believe Clay recommends cutting a firewall access panel. That way you don't have to get your suit dirty. wink.gif

finger.gif

Nope.. No hole in anything called a FIREWALL!

I put a serpentine belt on mine. I can change the belt one handed in a full business suit and not get anything but my hand dirty.

No shims, no wrenches, easy change.

Eric_Shea
yawn.gif tell us again Grandpa Perrine... tell us the serpintine belt story. Pleeeeeeeeease.

tongue.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 15 2007, 04:18 PM) *

yawn.gif tell us again Grandpa Perrine... tell us the serpintine belt story. Pleeeeeeeeease.

tongue.gif

GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!!!

finger.gif

You keep calling me short, and I will keep telling you about the serpentine belt.

And you need to learn to spell.

GeorgeRud
Any 914-6 belt can be easily changed in three easy steps:
1. Drop engine
2. Change Belt
3. Reinstall engine

It seems to be the easiest way I know. Honestly, it can be done, but requires a lot af patience.
pete-stevers
i am not changing the belt.....just tightening the the darn thing.....so it will involve splitting the pulley....but what wrench do i need for a 1979 3.0 ?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 16 2007, 12:29 AM) *

i am not changing the belt.....just tightening the the darn thing.....so it will involve splitting the pulley....but what wrench do i need for a 1979 3.0 ?

IIRC, the one with the hook on the end. But all you have to do is contact a Porsche parts place of your choice, tell them it is from XX year 911, and that you need the wrench for the fan belt.

SLITS
IF there is an explosive fire in my engine compartment that blows out the cover plate I put over the access hole I cut in the firewall AND blows thru the backpad, I doubt I would survive the blast whether I had cut the access hole or not.

Jeeeeeezwhizzzzzzz
iamchappy
I love my access hole.....
pete-stevers
i see we have digressed.....
brant
I hope your joking with the statement about running without the belt?

you realize that running without the belt on a -6 will total your motor in a matter of minutes... (actually probably a matter of seconds)
SLITS
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 16 2007, 07:44 AM) *

I hope your joking with the statement about running without the belt?

you realize that running without the belt on a -6 will total your motor in a matter of minutes... (actually probably a matter of seconds)

No he's just Canadian and relying upon those cold Northerners that blow in from the artic to cool his engine biggrin.gif

Sometimes, in deference to the short one, it is very prudent to cut holes. I hate cutting holes (which is why I don't have a front mounted oil cooler), but found it is a shitpile easier to get my hands, tools, etc into the areas I need PLUS I can actually see what the hell I need to.

However, seeing as how the Tejan is adept at fabricating a one hand belt change with his serpentine belt modification, I defer to the talented one. Please post images of the modification, but make sure you are wearing a business suit.
GeorgeRud
Seriously, the serpentine belt conversion as offered by Richard Clewitt is probably one of the best ideas for a 914-6. I'm just waiting for Clay and the rest to totally work out the combination of serpentine belt and AC compressor on the passenger side of the -6 engine. Now, that will be a nice product. Having a working AC would probably double or triple my -6 driving days each year.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Feb 16 2007, 08:06 PM) *

Seriously, the serpentine belt conversion as offered by Richard Clewitt is probably one of the best ideas for a 914-6. I'm just waiting for Clay and the rest to totally work out the combination of serpentine belt and AC compressor on the passenger side of the -6 engine. Now, that will be a nice product. Having a working AC would probably double or triple my -6 driving days each year.

I am currently working on the mark II brackets for the compressor. I got sidetracked by Doug's fuel injection and my job.

I will scan the templates I used to build it and post them here when it is done.

dennisc
I take the rear trunk lid off. This allows you to get in the trunk and reach the pully area. A dab of glue on the extra shims helps them stay aligned when you put the nut back on.
Eric_Shea
Dennis installed his engine backward huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.