Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone seen one of these before..?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fall-apart-dave
Anyone seen one of these before..? Can anyone help me identify it? I can't get the bloody bolts out of the housing so can't measure comp or turbine!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Had it for a while, it's an Airesearch T04, but thats about all I know about it... confused24.gif

PS

Like my doorcards?

IPB Image
gary gartner

Dave--
try CB performance.com---
their catalog has a lot of info on that T04 turbo

good luck
Gary
SLITS
Exhaust flange looks like Chrysler to me. Yours and the one that fits the T-Bird were highly sought after by VW and Sandrail guys who were turboing Type 1 engines.

T04 is not the full designation. TE /TD/ TC preceed the 04. We identify them by the exhaust flange.

If you wanted to know exactly, there is a OEM number stamped on a plate. Sometimes it is bolted to the parting of the compressor and turbine housings. Sometimes it is mounted on the square relief you see on the compressor housing next to the T04.
Crazyhippy
TD04 is stock WRX from 02-05, 55-60 buck fairly low miles.

Flange is different, but is more turbo than a type4 needs... Peaks @ 21psi and will hold 16psi thru 7000rpm on a 2liter.

Andyrew
It looks like a turbo Dave.

hehehe

Thats a big turbo.. Not something you'd see on a stock subaru..

fall-apart-dave
Well, the housing sizes are:

50mm air outlet
70mm air intake
2x35mm exhaust inlet
68mm exhaust outlet

Not Subaru or Crysler... It's got VW cast into the housing!

I got 10R83FF stamped on the compressor housing on one part, further round on the compressor I have 3R82FF, M11 cast into on the air outlet, VW cast into the bottom of the air outlet, the number 3 cast next to the outlet, and part of a number 8274 _ _ 224 the blanks are where I'm assuming a slight seam has been tidied up, it's been ground and the grind goes all the way around the compressor housing. Doesn't look like an attempt to hide a number though... In fact there might not have even been two numbers missing, might be a deliberate space? And bugger all on the turbine housing thats clear enough to make out. M1 A something but can't see clearly. Hope that helps... Other details are oil inlet and out, no provision for an internal wastegate so external needed (dump valve time!), everything else you can see in the pics.

Anyone any the wiser???
RON S.

It looks like the turbo offa t-bird TC.

I had an 83,and the exhaust flange and oil inlet/outlet lines look the same.

Ron
fall-apart-dave
QUOTE(RON S. @ Feb 16 2007, 06:19 AM) *

It looks like the turbo offa t-bird TC.

I had an 83,and the exhaust flange and oil inlet/outlet lines look the same.

Ron

I still can't find anything out about it... Would a t-bird have a VW turbo in it?
SLITS
T04 Applications:

88- BMW Vixen Diesel ..... TD04
84 **Dodge Colt ... TC04
84-86 **Dodge D50 ... TD04
84-86 **Dodge Montero ... TD04
85-87 Bronco II Diesel ... TD04
83-84 Mitsubishi Mirage ... TC04

These are all non-watercooled units. The list gets much larger if the cartridge was watercooled.
brer
he's in england.
I bet its a european market model.
like off of a TD delivery vehicle or some such.
fall-apart-dave
QUOTE(brer @ Feb 16 2007, 08:52 AM) *

he's in england.

So general consensus is its a turbo from a deisel motor of some type? And I'm guessing that deisel turbo's don't mix well with petrol engines?
Mueller
QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Feb 16 2007, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(brer @ Feb 16 2007, 08:52 AM) *

he's in england.

So general consensus is its a turbo from a deisel motor of some type? And I'm guessing that deisel turbo's don't mix well with petrol engines?

actually you are quite wrong...the Holset turbos from Dodge Cummins Diesels are getting popular for gas powered motors...as a plus, they come from your side of the "pond" Holset turbos

you should be able to find a website showing the dimensions of the flanges and inlets/outlets which might help you identify it....

I'd say run, if too laggy, it's too big, if it produces boost way too soon, too small....good chances it's just right or close enough or too big, but it can be worked around...

fall-apart-dave
Too big for a stock 1.7 though, I'll wager! Worth holding on to or should I sell on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.