914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
drooley.gif thumb3d.gif w00t.gif smilie_pokal.gif happy11.gif cool_shades.gif
So.Cal.914
Might be a bit tight but...
biosurfer1
a super duper alien;)...Rich????
Rand
Awesome engine, but opening bid $95,000? Any guesses at how much it will sell for?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 15 2007, 05:05 PM) *

Awesome engine, but opening bid $95,000? Any guesses at how much it will sell for?

I will take that bet...

It wont' sell.. Nobody on Ebay is going to pony up that kind of money. For that money, they would want to be there.

Crazyhippy
Highly Calibrated eyeball says it's 4-5inches longer than the 928, which already requires some "creative" firewall work

BJH
Justinp71
I wonder how much the motor is new from the factory....

I know that car is expensive to fix, but do you think its really over $100k. It must have some structural damage.
Rand
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Feb 15 2007, 08:13 PM) *

I wonder how much the motor is new from the factory....

I know that car is expensive to fix, but do you think its really over $100k. It must have some structural damage.

Good questions.

My thoughts....

Yes, structural damage... Simple answer: It's a total when you look at the whole picture.

Now that doesn't mean that we couldn't pull a group of guys together who could resurrect it into an amazing car for less than the declared total value.... yada.

Then there's the motor.... The real topic here, that still amazes me, and your question: "I wonder if you can even buy that motor from the factory?" I wonder too.

And we could start a debate with the power to dollar ratio....
Personally I don't think the price is realistic.... I mean, where are you going to plant it? Yes, that motor rocks and it is an amazing piece of engineering... But matching the performance doesn't take $95,000. So I would argue that it's only worth that much money IF it's going into a specific car, being placed there by a specific $$$ customer. (Like what? A CGT owner that screwed up their motor by running it before refilling with oil? I don't know... Another rabbit trail.)

Oy.

This could be as simple as... No way they will get their price.... Or it could spin off into a complex discussion about the value....

My simple perspective is.... $95k for the motor??? Haha, good luck. And $95k is their asking opening price... They hope for more!
fat73
QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 15 2007, 03:05 PM) *

I can tell you what the brake rotors and pads cost......$35,500 (including $400 of labor). Numbers from Porsche dealership where my son works.

Ed
fat73
QUOTE(fat73 @ Feb 15 2007, 09:09 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Feb 15 2007, 03:05 PM) *

I can tell you what the brake rotors and pads cost......$35,500 (including $400 of labor). Numbers from Porsche dealership where my son works.

Ed

....and the carbon fiber frame is $110k.

Rand
Craziness.

While some clients might pay $35,900 for brakes and $110,000 for the frame at the Porsche dealer.... I doubt those people would buy a motor from a totaled car on Ebay. And if not them, who? Who else would pay those prices? I don't know. I'm so far from that crowd, I can only speculate in ignorance. But I'll be watching this auction with curious skepticism.
Johny Blackstain
My friend in Rockville runs a body shop & a CGT showed up there. Mark started pricing & found that the doors were $22k each. Also, fenders were $18k & rockers were $12k. I can see this being an influence on whoever set the auction price. I can't see comming up w/ $90k+ for an engine. I too think this will not sell & wish I could just magically drop it into, ah, oh lets say... a550 spyder kit? laugh.gif 610bhp in a 1300lb car... I like those numbers! idea.gif cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.